Temperature rising on the island as TT changes are announced.
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
[Image: SuperbikeNewsHdr.jpg]

Passions are running ever higher on the island as news of changes to the TT continues to be released. There is universal condemnation of the news that the radio coverage; by the so-called Radio TT will be based solely at the Grandstand; with the Glen Helen and Ramsey Hairpin commentary points consigned to history. The coverage will be anchored by Chris Day aided by analyst Chris Boyde. I am very much afraid that commentary based upon what is being viewed on a computer screen; rather than being viewed on the track outside of the commentary box; will have all of the atmosphere of the surface of the moon. It is almost inevitable that the commentary will be focused solely on the podium contenders to the detriment of the other riders; without whom the event would not survive. This commentary will, I believe; like the “live streaming” be 20s delayed; not live as claimed in the glowing publicity release.

It seems rather contradictory that the excellent Chris Kinley and Beth Espey of Manx Radio will provide coverage from pit lane. A pit lane redesigned to have less capacity due to Health and Safety concerns (how did the world survive before H&S came to save it?). We are now down to 60 bikes maximum and tight limits on the number of pit crew; yet can have two commentators walking about amongst them.

The radio coverage provided by commentators steeped in the history of the event and enthusiasts for it; was one of the features that made the TT unique; sadly, that appears to be gone for ever. These commentators could fill periods of delay completely unscripted due to their encyclopaedic knowledge of the history of the event. In future, such delays will probably be filled with music complete with mind numbing computerised drumbeat. The teams used the comprehensive live commentary as a primary source of information; now they will have to use hermetically sealed smart phones to access the data streaming. Reading a smart device tends to take your mind of what you are supposed to be doing. Also gone is the historic scoreboard; just another item that helped to make the TT unique; now we shall have the same garish electronic boards as every other circuit.

Live streaming is the new “little black number” that will improve life for everyone. £14.99 to have unlimited access to the almost live coverage and access to playing the coverage as often as you want after the event. This was tried at the NW200 and surprise, surprise, it reduced the number of people attending the event. The island’s information technology infrastructure; far from being world class as claimed; will probably not be able to cope with the TT traffic; based upon what happens now to local users.

Many past riders; sponsors; mechanics etc are dismayed at what has happened in recent years; there is a gnawing away at the event and seemingly a desire to turn it from a unique event into just a money-making show at which corporate sponsors can allow their “VIP” guests to become inebriated in the hostility tents that now plague the event to the detriment of real fans. Many have expressed their feelings on social media; these are the people that the organizers should be talking to; not a bunch of corporate suits only concerned with return on capital.

There is a very real danger that many marshals will no longer bother to sign-on for the TT or the revamped (and abridged) Manx Grand Prix. Their opinions seem to have been routinely ignored, whilst the powers that be followed their own agenda. I have spoken to many marshals and have never known such disquiet; even outright hostility; towards the organizers; and (rightly or wrongly) one of them in particular. The latest little bombshell heading their way is that every point will be required to have a designated fire marshal; in full fireproof suit. That will be nice for 8+ hours on a hot sunny day. The event cannot run without the marshals; at present they feel that they are being treated with contempt by the residents of the ivory tower; this sense of injustice must be reversed and quickly. If it is not; I am afraid that love for the event is not going to prevent many, very experienced, marshals from taking the opportunity to walk away now.

The new minister and the political member with responsibility for motorsport need to take note of what is going on and encourage all stake holders to find a long-term solution acceptable to all; otherwise, our events will have a very short shelf life.

Richard Radcliffe

[Image: SuperbikeNewsLogo.jpg]

22-02-2022, 12:50 PM
Website Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Temperature rising on the island as TT changes are announced.
To the point, and a very pronounced counter balance to the official blurb released last week. This seems to be much more in line with the majority opinion that I have come across, albeit of a limited demographic.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
22-02-2022, 01:51 PM
Find Reply
ian333 Online

Threads: 2
I do not think using health and safety and computerized drumbeats as your reasons for keeping everything the same makes for a good argument. Most people accept using a car seatbelt and having kids wear a helmet while riding a bicycle is probably a good idea these days. The ‘back in my day’ theory is a tad over done.

I will definitely miss the musings and character of Roy Moore along with the anticipation and noise of hearing the riders and bikes fill his microphone. Maybe the new way will be terrible but the very fact the Isle of Man Govt is 100% committed to maintaining and trying to grow the event gives us the real possibility of allowing motorbikes to fly around public roads at 200+ miles an hour for a long time - so much for H & S there.

If wearing a fire suit while marshaling is called for, I will have no problem taking my turn and accepting that I play a valuable role allowing the event to be staged.

If you stand still these days, you eventually become old, stale and forgotten about.

As for computerized drumbeats - maybe we should just do away with computers all together?
(This post was last modified: 22-02-2022, 03:05 PM by ian333.)
22-02-2022, 03:04 PM
Find Reply
Spartacus Offline

Threads: 10
So much has changed for the worse even over the last 10 years. I am seriously thinking of not booking again for 2023.
22-02-2022, 08:13 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
The intermediate commentary points always bring life to the event having the same guys continually filling time from the grandstand commentary point is not going to be an improvement.

Everything must change - but this seems a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Warning Level 0% since 2006
23-02-2022, 12:32 AM
Find Reply
ian333 Online

For me, nothing has changed. Riders set off in intervals and race against the clock at breathtakingly fast speeds. Morning practices, 2 strokes, setting off in pairs, Ballacraine commentary point, Grand Prix status, etc etc have all come and gone but the core remains.
23-02-2022, 02:15 AM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

Threads: 13
The commentary points make you realise how long the track is and put a prespective on the size of the whole island, especially to the visitor. Having live commentary points may not be possible if the radio is linked to the live show.

Kilbil
24-02-2022, 12:12 PM
Find Reply
boon345 Offline

Threads: 15
they are slowly ripping the soul out of the tt first the score board now no commentary ,well need not bother to pack a radio this year , thats if tt is on
24-02-2022, 02:49 PM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
I’ve been going to the Island for the fantastic Mountain Course races since 1962, latterly mainly to the Manx, and I liked they were organised, monitored and reported. But I’m trying to be positive about these changes and with that in mind, if the latest changes help in securing the future of racing on the Mountain Course then, bring them on! We’re so, so lucky to have retained these wonderful events, particularly in the light of the risk averse, sanitised world we all now live in that to lose them would be a true sporting tragedy.
24-02-2022, 04:32 PM
Find Reply
ian333 Online

Surely the core of the TT is the bikes/riders hurtling around the 37.73 as fast/safe as possible? While I agree the scoreboard is cute/quaint/nostalgic/iconic and very much a worthwhile exercise for the cub scouts to work, aside from a photo op, not one person is actually using it in any meaningful way. I took a tour of it a couple of years ago and found it very enjoyable but it’s beyond its natural life and needs investment to keep it safe. It would seem a little frivolous to allocate money and resources to it.

I get the impression from some of the responses on here that people are looking for excuses or reasons for turning their back on the TT. That’s fine I guess. Everything runs it’s course in life.

My enthusiasm is at an all time high. There is way too much good and great about the TT that has me counting the days down. My first in-person TT was 1992. I love the TT. Nothing has changed for me. My overwhelming love for the TT and road racing in general probably means I see everything with rose tinted glasses. The sights and sounds of real road racing cannot be beaten. Ideally, I would go to the TT this year and see Joey on an RC30 challenging for a win. Unfortunately time stands still for no one. Bring on TT22. Can’t wait.
24-02-2022, 04:49 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 30
Quite frankly, I think the article is just reactions gleaned from social media posts and very poorly researched

IMO many of these social media posts are written by people who haven't bothered to read or understand official releases (many don't even read the full social media post before posting)

For example, the removal of commentary posts at Glen Helen & Ramsey gets misreported as "no more Radio TT", "no need to bring a radio", etc

Here is a link here from Manx Radio regarding Radio TT

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-m...r-tt-2022/

Now, I'm of opinion that as the World moves on, so should events, otherwise they will fail. Normally the changes for this years TT/MGP would have been introduced gradually in 2020, 2021, & 2022. But due to the pandemic they are being introduced cumulatively causing those resistant to change to voice greater concerns

My first TT was in 1976 - the last year of it being part of the then World Championship (now called MotoGP) in those days most were saying the TT is doomed, yet 46 years later it's still evolving and surviving

As a 67 year old pensioner, I'm counting the sleeps to this years TT - like the teenager my brain still thinks I am - bring it on 😀
24-02-2022, 06:01 PM
Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 8
I've seen that article before and think it is a tawdry red top piece of journalism. Full of supposition and un-researched statements. Nasher has kind of summed it up, and my first TT was also 1976 so I'm no come lately half baked fan. Where is the balance in the article? Where is the analysis of improvements and how they might take the TT forward incorporating a new generation? Whilst I too yearn for the old Manx Radio folk and despair at the number of restricted areas, the changes made over recent years have helped the TT survive and thrive. If the TT were to be allowed to stand still then that would be the most likely way to kill it off. It would be akin to saying the riders can only ride Manx Nortons.
28-02-2022, 11:41 PM
Find Reply
boon345 Offline

Threads: 15
yes i agree things have to change to move forword progress , neither am i no halfbaked fan , i was lucky my parents loved the place 1955 was my first time as a 2 year old so i was told ,but the tt has a history if you remove it there is nothing, 84 sleeps i will be there lol
01-03-2022, 12:29 AM
Find Reply
civ Offline

Threads: 3
(28-02-2022, 11:41 PM)Smokin Haddock Racing Wrote: I've seen that article before and think it is a tawdry red top piece of journalism.  Full of supposition and un-researched statements.  Nasher has kind of summed it up, and my first TT was also 1976 so I'm no come lately half baked fan.  Where is the balance in the article?  Where is the analysis of improvements and how they might take the TT forward incorporating a new generation?  Whilst I too yearn for the old Manx Radio folk and despair at the number of restricted areas, the changes made over recent years have helped the TT survive and thrive.  If the TT were to be allowed to stand still then that would be the most likely way to kill it off.  It would be akin to saying the riders can only ride Manx Nortons.

Well said. You get the feeling that some former fans would rather see a line drawn under the whole thing than watch others to take it forward in to the future.
22-03-2022, 11:53 PM
Find Reply
chad5471@talktalk.net Offline

Threads: 1
(22-02-2022, 01:51 PM)HammerHead Wrote: To the point, and a very pronounced counter balance to the official blurb released last week. This seems to be much more in line with the majority opinion that I have come across, albeit of a limited demographic.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I see howit works out, but I am sceptical.
25-04-2022, 10:29 AM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
My first TT was 1962 as a 9 year old and I've been every year but one as college exams took place well as a spectator I'm in awe of all TT riders i remember commentary at ballacraine ,Glen Helen, Ballaugh bridge, and Ramsey hairpin so it will be a big change for us TT fans but I suppose it has to move with the times like I've said to many people who have asked me WHY the answer is the TT is run on the iom not in Crewe or Liverpool, or Canterbury so if you like the TT we will have to put up with the changes im grateful to the people of the iom for us TT FANS to use there island for our pleasure roll on the 2nd of June
28-04-2022, 09:45 AM
Find Reply