MGP Delays
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
MGP Delays
My wife and I have just returned home from marshaling at the 2022 MGP. We're both experienced marshals and both enjoyed the event, albeit, in my opinion, it was a week too short and was sadly lacking in entries in all classes, for example only 26 starters in the Lightweight race! None of us enjoy delays but one thing that really reared it's head on Monday was how the marshals who need to travel to their posts, as we did, find out about the delays. The Monday road closure was due to be at 09:30 and ended up at 11:30, we were up at 07:30 to get to our marshaling post for 08:30, I admit it didn't look promising for a 09:30 start but I couldn't find any announcements on either Manx Radio or the MGP website to confirm it. Finally our hosts learned about the first delay on Twitter. Neither of us are on Twitter, I'm not and never will be a 'social media person' so can anyone advise how we can find out about such delays in future?
(This post was last modified: 31-08-2022, 08:54 AM by bsa499.)
31-08-2022, 08:52 AM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 30
RE: MGP Delays
I saw a change to the schedule (trom 09:30 roads closed to 10:30) at about 07:30 on the Manx Grand Prix website

I walked around Peel campsite and informed all those who were a awake....
31-08-2022, 09:20 AM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
Many thanks Nasher, I did look on the MGP website but didn't spot it. Can you tell me whereabouts on their website it is/was.
31-08-2022, 09:58 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Re BSA 499....."a week too short, and sadly lacking in entries".

I totally agree with you, but the person who agreed to these classes (in conjunction with the Manx Government, not the Manx Club) has (I understand) left the organisation. I cannot imagine procuring a large entry for a MGP 2stroke class......too expensive to run them without some start money........unavailable for the Manx.
I will have to wait to  speak to some hotel and guest house owners, but I completely fail to understand how they could be happy with this "shortened" Manx. In addition, I felt that the safety of the whole event was compromised by the reduction in practice times. And as far as shortened races, I cannot begin to think how I would have felt back in the day. It was a SIX lap Senior and Junior when I last rode those two events. 

Re Marshalling, and changing the road closure times, the Chief Marshal needs to find a way of ensuring Marshals are made aware of any updates. It's a long day on the Mountain if you're up there from 8.30am. But well done for volunteering, it's a lot more than I did sadly.
31-08-2022, 02:11 PM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

Threads: 1
Cool  RE: MGP Delays
I suspect you'll find that unless you listen to the radio or engage with social media, you'll miss stuff.

On Monday there was a scheduled 0930 closure. It was then postponed an hour to 1030, then for half an hour to 1100, then a further half hour finally closing at 1130.

I was listening constantly and in broadcast it was mentioned repeatedly. I also use twitter and facebook so could see the updates rolling out too. MGP, Manx Radio, 3FM, IOM Police plus the various supporters groups.

Commercial radio wants listeners to hear their ads so don't normally (at least in the IOM) update websites with current stuff. You really need to tune in to get the best from it.

Having said all that it caught me all the same. I left home at 0955 for the 1100 closure and was en route when the postponement to 1130 was announced. Still had an extra 30mins of thumb twiddling Icon_biggrin At least it kept me out of the pub for a few minutes more Icon_biggrin
31-08-2022, 02:12 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 30
(31-08-2022, 09:58 AM)bsa499 Wrote: Many thanks Nasher, I did look on the MGP website but didn't spot it. Can you tell me whereabouts on their website it is/was.

Manxgrandprix.co.uk under "schedules"

Hope this helps
31-08-2022, 09:07 PM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Threads: 124
We were in Peel too!

We relied on Manx medium wave 1368 frequency and followed the delays without problem.

Fully agree with the other comments, too short, too few and too samey.

Every practice session was the same few bikes.

I also found that marshalling took up an awful lot of my time in the shortened itinerary

Also stuff appeared poorly set up, eg not even an ice cream van at the hastily arranged Ramsey Sprint, they did not even have a road closure permit at the start of the week I was told.

Glad to see Jurby back!

Next year? I'll wait until the format has been published.
[Image: chris-quill-blue.gif]Laurel Bank II Marshal, Classic TT & Manx GP
31-08-2022, 10:25 PM
Find Reply