No score board for TT 2023
sprocket Offline

Threads: 7
No score board for TT 2023
Just read on Manx Radio no score board for next year.
I do wander if it will ever be replaced with the ever growing digital stuff.
02-11-2022, 09:28 AM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 31
RE: No score board for TT 2023
Link here to Manx Radio article:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-m...-for-2023/

I always thought the old scoreboard was an outdated relic and a couple of big screens would be better, especially as live timing is available online

Probably not a popular view, but things move on & I try to keep pace, even though I'm an OAP😀
02-11-2022, 10:31 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Yes the boards were old but removing a huge part of your "front of house" display knowing full well that you have absolutely no finance or idea what to replace the scoreboard with for me doesn't come across as professional nor having any long term confidence....it wouldn't have been so difficult to refresh/combine the old analogue boards with some new tech in the short term transition period would it ? instead of the lash-up we have now ?
02-11-2022, 12:00 PM
Find Reply
sprocket Offline

Threads: 7
For me the scoreboard was a massive part of the TT history, something I think, as Alfie mentioned, which could have been retained in some way.
I know technology moves on and we all have to move on with it, but IMO it's a big part of the TT that has gone. You only have to look across the road from the grandstand and there's this massive void.
04-11-2022, 10:29 AM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 11
I'm torn with the scoreboard. I get that the TT should be up to date and current with the tech etc. But also, it's an event steeped in history and tradition.

Fwiw, i think the old scoreboard should have been retained, tradition can live alongside technology.

I went up to the startline at the TT and the manx and missed the old scoreboard, I've been casting an eye on it for 36 years.

=======================================================================
See you on the island
06-11-2022, 12:50 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
(06-11-2022, 12:50 PM)H2pots Wrote: I'm torn with the scoreboard. I get that the TT should be up to date and current with the tech etc. But also, it's an event steeped in history and tradition.

Fwiw, i think the old scoreboard should have been retained, tradition can live alongside technology.

I went up to the startline at the TT and the manx and missed the old scoreboard, I've been casting an eye on it for 36 years.

Indeed H2, I was lucky enough to work on the boards and control tower as a Cub and Scout with my mates back in the 70's & early 80's and not having the boards means a lot of people are missing out on a uniquely exciting experinence.
The other thing that annoys me is that the boards except for the simple hand turned clanky clocks were basically wood and scaffolding tube fixed together - just how difficult would it have been to construct a 2022 wood and scaffold scoreboard replica incorporating some modern tech to use in the short term ? would be more cost effective too and look a whole lot better than the screen lash-up we have now...
06-11-2022, 09:28 PM
Find Reply