BSA 499 Connecting Rod
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 49
BSA 499 Connecting Rod
I need a new Carrillo con rod for my road race B50. I've researched the only UK supplier I could find and their price was incredible therefore, I'd be most grateful if anyone could answer any of the following 3 questions: Q1 Does anyone have an unused B50 rod for sale? Q2 Can any forum member advise of UK suppliers of Carrillo rods? Q3 Has anyone any experience (including the pitfalls) of buying from the USA? I've been racing my B50 since 1992, including 8 MGP campaigns, so I'm fully aware of all the B50 frailties, the standard rod being one of them.
18-11-2023, 08:38 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Online
Administrator

Threads: 13
RE: BSA 499 Connecting Rod
Hi B499, buying from USA there's the duty/vat to be paid - there's various online calculators, just google "import duty calculator" and you should able to see how much the total cost will be, from memory the US shipping cost is taken into account as well and there's a UK handling/process charge which you have to pay when the delivery arrives - not sure how to check the UK charge.....use a credit card or paypal if it's accepted and you should be covered for any loss of delivery....i've not had any issues or losses so far with USA purchases.
18-11-2023, 10:59 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 31
RE: BSA 499 Connecting Rod
Assuming the rod is 350 US dollars and 50 for shipping, it will probably cost £400 delivered including duty (about £320 without duty)

I regularly buy my spectacles from the states, sometimes I get charged import duty sometimes I don't, luck of the draw! (Either way the total cost of my glasses is the equivalent of one lens buying in the UK - less if I don't get charged duty)

As Alfie posted above, use PayPal or Credit card (I have a Halifax Clarity Card that I use to pay in local currency which gives a better exchange rate and no credit card charges - it works with Paypal)

If you know someone living/visiting the states, it might be worth asking them to get it for you....
19-11-2023, 09:50 AM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 49
Toungue  RE: BSA 499 Connecting Rod
Many thanks for the advice.
19-11-2023, 01:32 PM
Find Reply