Its now official.........but.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its now official.........but.
09-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Its now official.........but.
So the IOM system will be just like the Irish one!

Which works OK . . . . . . .

Mind you, Mr Culverhouse obviously has a Health & Safety approach similar to Mr Neil Hanson, our esteemed Clerk of the Course.

Frightened of their own shadows.

If our Neil follows the logical course, and just as Mike Culverhouse won't put his force at risk, then Neil won't appoint and place Marshals where there is a possibility of (shock, horror) injury to them, then what future for our races??

Good God Almighty, is there no-one of responsibility left in the world with the courage to say "We are going to to do this, this and this, and if it goes wrong then it's my fault".

And it hasn't yet occurred to these muppets that the most obvious target of all, the riders, are sitting ducks for their well-meaning interference!!

Mark my words, it will soon, and when it does my words for the Culverhouses, Hansons et al of this world will most certainly not pass the obscenity check in Malcolm's system!!!
10-08-2005, 12:24 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

10-08-2005, 06:17 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Blame the legal profession I say.
10-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I cannot believe that the police are doing this , after all they are there to protect and serve the public and by doing this they are failing the public on both accounts , last year for example i was stood watching the formula 1 (sic) at the bottom of Bray Hill and quite a few times people tried to cross the track during the delay on one occasion a marshall interveined and the people involved hesitated but still darted across on another occasion the policeman shouted and the people immediatly stopped in their tracks at which point the policeman gave them a " reet good bollockin ".
Another incident happened when a marshall actually let a stream of people cross the track during closed roads admitidly there was no racing but i still couldnt believe my eyes.
My point is that the police force carry a lot more power and the public seem to respond better to them , and would never , never under any circumstances let any member of the public onto closed roads...i shudder to think what might happen if the police wasnt in attendance.

Before anyone rips into me for attacking the standard of marshalling round the course dont get me wrong i think that 99% of marshalls do a great job but and its a huge but it only takes the remaining 1% and an awful lot of damage could be caused.
10-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

What I find puzzling is this. Where is the duty of care being addressed towards riders, spectators and residents during the races. Incidents dealt with by the police are largely about drunks or other people trying to break the law by crossing the road etc. How does this affect Health and Safety if they have to deal with an armed seige? terrorism? a few scary bikers don't seem a problem, and policemen should, like everyone else keep themselves out of the dangerous areas. Marshalls are the only ones expected to go there.
As far as I know the only policement killed covering races was killed at a Manx and I understand he was sitting in a prohibited area, where he should not have been.
I have always found most of the police supporting us as marshalls to be excellent, by the way (with the odd exception!)
10-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

nm
10-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Helen back now thanks for helping me outxxxx
10-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Calm down, the "We're all doomed Brigade"!!!!!!!This is just a political football.

Before you all start reading something deeper into this "business" (too late for some already) you should be aware that the Chief Constable has been appealing for years (mostly to deaf ears) for permission to increase the size of his force. When major events are on, most/all of his officers are involved and overtime quotas are used up.

If all else has failed you in your appeal for more staff, what would you do? I'd (indirectly) give my problem more media coverage.
10-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wasnt a policeman killed during TTat Union Mills? By the chapel?

By the way, will this include police being withdrawn on the prom by Busheys?
10-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

That was the PC I was alluding to...I think it was Manx, but it may have been TT.
Another little point...all marshalls are special constables for the duration of the "roads closed" order. Does this mean we will also be withdrawn, or do other Health and Safety regs apply to specials??
10-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Helen it was the MGP and you can handcuff me anytime mmmmmm
10-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oi! Stella will think I am trespassing on her territory here!
10-08-2005, 08:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let us hope that all the marshalls are given the powers of the police during practice and racing,and that the public understand this.As Helen says,they are,after all special constables,but the problem is,the public doesn't realise this.As long as this fact is drummed into everyone,there shouldn't be a problem.
I don't know if it is still the same nowadays,but extra police were drafted in from the mainland to cover the TT,and most of them hadn't got a clue what it was all about.I broke down in one TT and asked the officer on duty if it was ok to cross the road (to be picked up).He asked me what I was doing there on the track,and where had I come from!!!!Say no more.I think the majority of marshalls are at least aware of a rider who has broken down,lol
Let them get on with waving hair driers at motorists and trying to catch druggies,if that makes them feel good.
10-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think you are implying, John, that the powers at be possibly have an 'ulterior motive' with this decision. I would be interested to know what the police (who normally would carry out these duties) feel about this. Where do they stand when they have to deal with some really serious issue the may have to face, I wonder.
10-08-2005, 10:35 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

John Foster is a special constable?
Now that is a scary thought.
11-08-2005, 12:51 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Every year, Don, the Gorse Lea midges are fearful and a-trembling . . . . . . . . .
11-08-2005, 07:21 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

So is THE WITCH be carefull MGP fans Helen may use her hairdryer on Bray Hill now that is scarey?
11-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Will there be any affect on the German police who bring their bikes over?
I do not know if they had any special responsibilities during the racing/closed-roads periods.
11-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, the power of being a special at the bottom of Bray...I could sort out those speeding motorcyclists!!
11-08-2005, 04:52 PM