SIR John Surtees perhaps
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
SIR John Surtees perhaps
MCN (yes, I read the shops free copy) has an interesting article in it today, projecting the possibility of John Surtees MBE getting a knighthood in the New Years Honour list.

Since he was winner of BOTH car and motorcycle world championships and his total dedication to racing and development has never waned, I feel there is a good case for him to be "dubbed".

Any of got any thoughts on this........and who else from our normally forgotten sport deserves some recognition for their service.

Come on let's have yer >>
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
23-11-2005, 10:08 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Sir Ian has a nice ring to it....
24-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Arthur Lawn Offline

Threads: 23

John Surtees is unique as the only world champion on 2 and 4 wheels and such an unassuming person also.I remember chatting to him after he had retired from 2 wheels in the early 60s on a cold windswept practise day at Snetterton when he was assisting his brother Norman with a pair of desmo Ducati's Yes his brother raced bikes also.
I can think of many who deserve at least a gong some past riders some organisers but all who have contributed a lot.
To start the ball rolling I name Jim Parker
24-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Norman and Rose Hanks for services to TT Supporters Club, sidecar racing in general, and lots of help for others.
24-11-2005, 04:58 PM
GarryD Offline

Threads: 17

A knighthood for John is long overdue and I'm at a loss as to why this hasn't happened. To achieve what he did all those years just shows what a talented and versatile man he was and still is.

Jim Parker never in a million years !!!!!
24-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Find Reply
GriffMuss Offline

Threads: 32

Garry D SAYS:-
Jim Parker never in a million years !!!!!

I wondered who would be first to say this !! lol..................
and I wonder why ? So why Garry ?
Roll on ALAND 2009, Island Games Xlll.
Yahoo, I've achieved 3 guidelines for the Island Games & I'm selected ! May see you after at the S100 & Jurby Road.
25-11-2005, 12:26 AM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

I'm with Garry on this one, and no David, we won't tell you why.

Not on this site anyway :!: :!:

It never pays to open yourself to the risk of receiving correspondence from the legal profession . . . . . . . . .

:wink:
25-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Find Reply
couperman Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2

Although Mr Webster has more championships I like the sound of Sir Jock.

Couperman
25-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Find Reply
ade! Offline

Threads: 30

sir john robert taylor? hmmm, yes it does have a nice ring to it.
ade!
ACU? why not add "nt" to the end, you'll get the idea!
25-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Find Reply
GarryD Offline

Threads: 17

Do I really need to say anything david & gail Lol Larry you are right in what you say, we shall have to swop stories next year about jim parker.

Lets just hope John gets that long overdue knighthood soon, a shame a certain mr hailwood never got one either. And what about sir carl no one has come close to his record yet.
25-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Find Reply
GriffMuss Offline

Threads: 32

Roll on ALAND 2009, Island Games Xlll.
Yahoo, I've achieved 3 guidelines for the Island Games & I'm selected ! May see you after at the S100 & Jurby Road.
26-11-2005, 12:32 AM
Website Find Reply
Harry Offline

Threads: 25
Surtees, Hailwood, Dunlop, Fogarty - too many to list
Let's hope that it isn't just talk and John Surtees gets his knighthood.

Could it be that in years gone by there were fewer honours given out , or that they were even harder to get? Mike Hailwood got an MBE for motorcycle racing and the George Medal for his rescue of Clay Regazzoni from his burning F1 car. Wasn't Joey awarded the CBE or KBE?

How do these honours compare with those awarded to other sporting champions ?

Could we start a write-in campaign to nominate people from our sport? Does anyone know the procedure? Does the Isle of Man award civilian honours ?
26-11-2005, 04:02 AM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Continued observations on the Knighthood situation
Recently somebody was created a DAME for sailing a boat round the world, another one got one for running, and someone else was Knighted for rowing a boat !

They all did very well but is it easier to get this kind of title in this age where we apparently need the hype in this sad country with a heavy political-correctness overlay?

Just what has someone to do to get these "awards"....Joey, Mike, John S all did so much good for their own sport and never were considered for any similar awards to the flash in the pan sportsmen/women of today...

Joey got his for the trips he made to the Eatern Bloc, not his success on two wheels, Mike saved a fellow driver who could have burnt to death.
Furthermore, Mike rode and drove world wide.....As did John Surtees

Lets not forget Geoff Duke who,I think, was one of the first two-wheelers to get a "gong" of any kind, based on his success in racing. Was there anyone before him ?? ..

Can anyone help on this ??

Now if they had all ridden for charity that would have seen a totally different conclusion !
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
29-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Website Find Reply
Harry Offline

honours
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/uk/2...092604.stm

I thought this was interesting. If you go to the In Depth section it
explains each honour and lists all the recipients. As you know there are two lists a year. Each list now contains 1350 names for total of 2700 per year.

Here's the sports list for 2000

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/in_depth...093936.stm

Just to compare a few names from our sport - Geoff Duke OBE, Joey Dunlop, MBE, OBE Mike Hailwood MBE (GM was for valour, not for racing
accomplishments), Barry Sheene MBE, Phil Read MBE, Barry Briggs MBE, Jim Redman MBE, John Surtees MBE. At that point I stopped looking - too
depressing when you compare to the other sports.

For example - the 2000 list has 49 honours in the sport field, none is for anything involving and engine and wheels!

The nomination system has now been opened to the public. I suggest that start nominating our own candidates

Here's the breakdown -
Knighthood - rowing

CBE - cricket
athletics
rowing

OBE - sports broadcasting
athletics
2 - sport
netball
women's golf
rugby union

MBE - stable lads association
3 - yachting
11 - rowing
Southamption Football Club
2 - football
women's football
5 - disabled sports
modern pentathalon
shooting
sports ground management
boxing
squash
sport
cycling
British Olympic Assoc.
swimming
darts
Southborough Cricket Club

Hon. MBE horse racing
football
cricket
29-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Find Reply
Harry Offline

honours nominating process
29-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

submissions
Well Harry, that's brilliant and it has needed a rabbit from over the pond to open our eyes to see that here in Britain we have to have friends or relatives in high places, have worked one-off wonders AND done voluntary or charity work to qualify for many of the listed awards.

Seeing all these requirements, I wonder if our sport is possibly above all this because we think no worse of John Surtees not having a sir-ship, Michael Rutter is still Michael Rutter, Maria Costello is STILL Maria Costello so perhaps none of us will be concerned if we don't have any Knights on Two Wheels.

What does anyone else think.

Is it worth going on !!!

By the way, Sincere Congratulations to Maria for the meaningful awards and accolades she has received lately !! She should be made a DAME !!!
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
29-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Website Find Reply
ade! Offline

Threads: 30

there was always ray knight Big Grin
s.m.b.e. hailwood :o
riders using earle's forks Smile
and probably a hundred others i'll think of when i've hit the submit button.
this all reminds me of the goodies when graeme garden says he's been made an earl and awarded the o.b.e. in the honours list. one of the others turns round and asks if this doesn't make him an earlobe :wink:
this thread was getting toooooooooooooo serious.
ade!
ACU? why not add "nt" to the end, you'll get the idea!
29-11-2005, 08:39 PM
Find Reply