Misadventure Verdict on Marshal
ttwebsite Offline
Administrator

Threads: 44
Misadventure Verdict on Marshal
Standing in the middle of the road is very dangerous; you get knocked down by traffic from both sides.
13-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Website Find Reply
Harvey T Offline

Threads: 16

I was wondering if any recommendations came from this tragic situation.
Let the dug see the rabbit.
15-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390

There have been no statements on recommendations Harvey, rather, only statements of consideration.

As per the Newspaper yesterday:-

MOUNTAIN CIRCUIT SAFETY UNDER REVIEW

THE safety of racing on the Mountain Circuit is under review after a double tragedy.

Coroner Michael Moyle this week recorded an open verdict into the death of Gus Scott, 40, of Cumbria, in the Senior TT.

Mr Moyle hit out at the 'chaos' which followed the accident, which saw an untrained man don a marshal's bib in an attempt to prevent further tragedy and three spectators step onto the course to drag Mr Scott's bike out of the path of oncoming racers.

Flagging was also criticised at the probe into the deaths on Monday.

Clerk of the course Neil Hanson said: 'We will be studying the coroner's comments carefully and any changes that can be made in the interests of safety for riders, marshals and spectators will be carefully considered.

'There is a very comprehensive review of the whole organisation going on.'

Chairman of the TT Marshals' Association Roger Hurst said training would be re-examined after it was revealed marshals go on duty after watching a 25-minute computer presentation and reading a handbook.
16-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Website Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

Threads: 40

Youth is wasted on the under forties !
16-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Website Find Reply
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14

There are some good points there Charlie, something that has crossed my mind recently regarding the marshaling of "Very serious " incidents is the human shock element. Massive accidents that cause the instant loss of life are not something witness by many people in their lives, even TT or MGP marshals will rarely witness such an event, so could it be, not in the Kirk Micheal case, but in some other cases that the shock of such a big accident can make people react in a way that with hindsight they wouldn't do and perhaps momentarily forget all the training that they may have had?
Russ
Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
18-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Website Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

Threads: 40

I couldn't agree with you more 'Bag'. I've marshalled for many years, with a few years break in the middle, and I would never level criticism of ANY marshal who suddenly confronted with a major incident, either can't handle it, or just freezes with 'shock'.

None of us ever know if it will happen to us one day, you just hope it doesn't when 'that day' comes! And you also have to be aware that it could happen to one of your fellow marshals, so that you can make the right calls "on the hoof"

That is one part of the coroners statements I take issue with. Its been reported in the "Independant" that two marshals stood by and did nothing" or words to that effect and "spectators were on the track removing the bike". The coroner showed a lack of understanding, That in actual fact proved that the system was working. Marshals are "Special Constables for the duration of the Road Closing and have the authority to co-opt spectators when necessary. And couldn't the two who stood by have been in 'shock' ?

Sorry Mr. Moyle you got this one wrong.

Merry Christmas to ALL marshals past present and future and don't let the present problems put you off. Happy New Year and see you on the Island.
Youth is wasted on the under forties !
18-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Website Find Reply