In Memorium
Anonymous
Unregistered

In Memorium
One of the posters on the main board took people to task for continuing to eulogize Joey,he called them self-indulgent fans. Although it may be possible to see where he is coming from, those who still feel his passing difficult to accept should be allowed to express their sentiments on this first anniversary. So thanks for this special purpose message board.
In all sports there are champions who seem to have something unique, the enthusiasts are aware of it but find it difficult to describe. It is like a magic presence which, win or lose, is not diminished by age or injury. Simply it is like a love affair that cannot be rationalised. My brother and I came to see the TT for the first time last year to fulfill a lifelong dream. We saw every practice session and race, wet or dry, early or late and loved every minute of it. But the most enduring memory we took away to Australia was being privledged to see a champion in action. There were faster riders and younger riders but one rider stood out from the rest at almost every one of our many vantage points. Joey was smooth,fast and had his own lines through every corner. I must admit that on arrival at the Island I felt the hype was a little much, but I was proven very wrong, it was every bit deserved. If only we could bring the same concentration and dedication to our own lives without losing the common touch we would be lucky indeed. Is it self-indulgence or genuine regret that we cannot fully express in words the loss we still feel ?
03-07-2001, 12:47 PM