Brian Reid (Hawick)
thewitch
Unregistered

Brian Reid (Hawick)
Many of you will know Brian, probably Steve Hislop's biggest fan, and a great follower of real road racing, throughout his life.
Brian had Friedrich's Ataxia, but never let his disability stop him. For many years he went to the TT, and occasionally the Southern100, and every year he attended races in Ireland.
He was the inspiration for my wish to have a Steve Hislop wing at the Joey Dunlop Lodge, as I hoped he would once again be able to attend the TT, and I know Steve would have wanted that.
Brian died last week, and his funeral will be this Saturday, at 10.30 am, Mortonhall Crematorium. The cortege, led by a trike, will leave from Brian's family home at 9.30, and travel to Edinburgh in convoy. Brian's hearse is a sidecar.
No flowers, please, but donations to the Friedrichs Ataxia Society in Brian's memory would be appreciated.
http://www.ataxia.org.uk/
10-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Stella Offline

Threads: 58

So very sad to read this Helen, he was an insiration to many people.

I always remember the painted motorised chair with the Hizzy bodywork with a smile.

Stella.
10-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26

Very sad,a trier to the end,typical motorcyclist!
He who dislikes the cat,is himself a longtail
10-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Find Reply
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141

RIP Brian, he was a populasr guy here in Ireland, and his presence will be missed , mostly at Skerries
Baylon
10-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

He loved Irish racing and Irish people, Baylon, and felt more comfortable and at home there than probably anywhere. He was friendly with all the top Irish riders over theyears.
11-04-2006, 06:14 AM
Stella Offline

Threads: 58

We will be at Thruxton BSB this Saturday Helen but he will certainly be in our thoughts.

Hez up there in the best of company now though eh ?

Stella
11-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Find Reply
Myles Lally Offline

Threads: 13

Very sad news indeed.

I recall meeting the Haggis for the first time and bringing him to the Temple with me , what a laugh we had listening to him in his famous voice telling us tales of his exploits while travelling all over to attend his beloved sport.

He was a great Hizzy fan and was very proud of the Hizzy Haggis paint job on his motorised veichle.

He was indeed also a great supporter of the TT and Irish road races , and it never ceased to amaze me where he would show up, I used to meet him all over the place and his disabilities never seemed to get in the way of him getting to a great spot to see the action.

He will be missed by all who knew him and especially those in the Skerries area who called him one of their own such was his passion for the sport and craic.

Condolences to all his family and friends.

Another great character gone .

Myles
12-04-2006, 10:54 PM
Find Reply