THE MANXMAN is rotting away
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
THE MANXMAN is rotting away
I have just returned from the Annual Titanic Convention in Liverpool and there was a presence of the "SAVE THE MANXMAN" association.

The Manxman (an ex-IOMSP vessel) is berthed in Sunderland and there have been attempts to raise enough money to bring it back to being able to sail and to use it to bring back those days of nostalgia when the ferry took hours to cross the water.

However, the vessel has been vandalised in a big way over the weekend and this puts thewhole project at risk...Great shame, I travelled many times on this vessel in the golden days.l

You might like to see their website

http://www.ssmanxman.co.uk/

Come on Isle of Man. It could be like the Queen Mary to attract tourists.

"Re-build it and they will come !"
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
04-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Website Find Reply
Chris Maybury Offline

Threads: 1

Yes, some "fond" memories. Somewhere, I've got a 35mm colour slide taken in 1967, of my Bonneville strapped to to deck of the "MANXMAN".
It was on the the "MANXMAID" ramp that I stalled the same bike, loading at Douglas, all because I must have shut off the fuel tap during the "TANK PUMPED OUT" operation.
Happy DAZE. Big Grin
***A Balanced Meal is a FULL PINT in Each Hand***
05-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39

I hope someone steps up with the funding - I'd hate to think of the old girl getting scrapped. How about it Tynwald? Get it seaworthy again, berth it in Douglas and use it for round the Island cruises. Look how popular those were when the Lady of Mann did them the last couple of years. I'd do it for sure.
05-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Website Find Reply
Bill Peacock Offline

Threads: 1

Ian, the Manxman is in a pretty poor state, I don't live far from Sunderland and went along for a look, I reckon it would probably cost a small fortune just to get her seaworthy to get her back to the IOM, before any restoration could be considered.
07-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Manxman
This wonderful little Steamer is now to be scrapped since no financial help has been forthcoming.

Very sad..

Thanks for the report from Sunderland.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
15-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Website Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39

18-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Website Find Reply