Red flags
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
Red flags
As I recall last year there was some controversy about practice not being red flagged after a serious incident and it was pointed out that on a 37 mile course it's hard to red flag riders without causing a hazard in its own right. I can only ever recall being red flagged in Ramsey, where there is a long run-up with good visibility and a suitable gathering point.

However tonight's radio news reported Moly and Hallam had crashed (get well soon guys!) and the session red flagged. I note there were reports of another session being red flagged earlier this week.

Have things changed?
01-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Website Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can remember an MGP session being red flagged at Sulby Bridge because a tree branch was across the course further on.
01-06-2006, 06:24 PM
ALP Offline

Threads: 2

The session was Red Flagged at Douglas Road Corner (beginning of Kirk Michael) and also at the Grandstand to allow a Fire Engine onto the course at Kirk Michael Village to put out Moly's sidecar.

Earlier on this week when we had the incident just past Union Mills, due to the debris on the road, it was decided to stop any more machines starting from the Grandstand so that once the last rider away from the Grandstand had gone through the scene (under waved yellows), the Marshals at the scene could then clean up the scene without worrying about bikes etc. As it was, a Road Sweeper had to go onto the course to sweep the road.

We have had several incidents in the last few years that have involved red flags around the course to allow Ambulances and Fire Engines onto the course to deal with non-racing incidents that happen. This is only usually done during practices when it doesn't matter too much to the riders. With a 37 mile course, house fires and medical emergencies can and do happen at premises lining the course. When this happens, the riders are red flagged and held at the safest place before the incident and once the Fire Engines/Ambulances have cleared/crossed the course, they will then be allowed to start again.

It's a lot easier to red flag an entire short circuit than a 37 mile one!

Cheers.

Andrew.
01-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10

Many thanks Andrew, interesting and informative.

Smile
01-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Website Find Reply