Kent Andersson
little_bike Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0

This is my first posting too...

I remember Kent Andersson. Not from his racing days, but when I met him in Sweden at the Husqverna 100 Years of Speed Festival at Linkoping. Kent was taking part in the parade, I was there as a 'groupie' and (bad) mechanic for my partner who was racing in the European Supermono support race. Kent had raced monos in Sweden and had purchased parts from Hejira in the UK, my partner was racing a Hejira bike - that was the link. I was introduced to a very approachable and likeable man and spent over an hour chatting to him before I realised who he was.

I remember Kent telling me about being run around a circuit - hearing on the loudspeaker 'Will Kent Andersson please report to the race office?' 'Will Kent Andersonn please report to the commentator's box?' - each time he arrived at the stated destination he was met with bemusement and eventually, after hearing his presence being requested again, he turned around to see Barry Sheene 20 feet behind him with a megaphone!. He was also adamant that he was the very first motorcycle racer to wear anything other than black leathers - his preferred colour was always white, and he laughed when I told him that he was to blame for all the 'power-rangers'. As we left the circuit in Linkoping, Kent waved us off - from the deck chair on the roof of his caravan!!

Although Kent's obituary appeared in the European motorcycling press, I have seen little or no coverage in the UK. Maybe it is an age thing, but, I'm glad to find that Kent has been remembered here. As I have a glass of wine on the go at the moment, I'll use this opportunity to raise it in a toast to a very likeable and friendly champion.

Maggie
little_bike - don't call me Barbie
22-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Find Reply