cargo
Unregistered

MGP entries............an idle mind makes for mischief
Manx GP entries as counted in the programme Who's who

283.......... persons entered in 2006

336........... persons entered in 2005

340............persons entered in 2003

356................ persons entered in 2002

I can't find my 2004 programme but I'm prepared to bet that it will show a number well over 300.

Anecdotally I was reliablely told that on average there were 100 less bikes per night going through scrutineering this year.

Discuss.............
09-09-2006, 02:23 PM
beetroot Offline

Threads: 0

as i was foced to watch from the sidelines this year it was obvious that something was missing! i think you hit the nail on the head with the lack of bikes in pit lane for practise?
i thought i was just being a miserable git but lots of people are saying the same over here. really hope it picks up for 2007.. if not i may be forced to ride again to keep the numbers up.. on a 400?
09-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39

There were typically 30 fewer entries in each class than last year - the exception being the Junior. I'm afraid that the ACU's master plan to get rid of the Manx may be working, especially as riders will have to do twice as many meetings to qualify fir next year.
09-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Website Find Reply
Barry Wood Offline

Threads: 5

Cargo , 343 in 2004 mate. And, interestingly, 386 in 1983, the first year the Classic races were introduced.
10-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Find Reply
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30

If there were 100 less bikes per night, then if the entries had have been full, then loads of riders would not have qualified. Still want the entries to be higher, as we plan our whole year round the manx and if it stopped i would be terrible to live with, think my wife says that now. surely we could argue that the three meetings have reduced accidents, so why can't we leave it at that. Speaking to John Goodall after he had spoken to Jim parker you get the impression that tha ACU have no idea of the sacrifices we have to make just to get to the manx.
11-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

Of course the ACU have no idea of the sacrifices the riders make Shipleymanx, people like Jim Parker have never, as far as Im aware, raced a bike anywhere at all, let alone on the TT course, in their extremely sad, money grabbing little lives :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
11-09-2006, 05:24 PM
beepee Offline

Threads: 23

OK Cargo seeing as you have time on your hands and I can't be bothered how many rides do the reduced number of riders have.I get the feeling, and thats all it is,that like the TT more riders have more than one ride. So naturally practice no's are down as you can only ride one at a time.

However if numbers are dropping I might join Beetroot in a comeback.
11-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10

Cargo is correct in that numbers are dropping - by a lot in '06 and I dread to think what '07 will be like as the ACU's moves come into full force.

In the classic races it was very noticeable that there were large gaps in the entries and total numbers were down despite many riders having 2 outings.

In the modern classes although there was a full field you could see from the programme that many riders had more than one outing. I spoke to one guy who was out in the Senior Classic, Junior and Senior races (despite being a Newcomer!). When I started in 1986 you ONLY got a Newcomers ride and in subsequent years despite applying for 2 classes I only ever got a single ride, as all the events were oversubscribed.

Not any more.

If the ACU try to tell us their licence has been a great success in cutting casualties and the drop in entries is because riders don't want to come to the Manx I'll be less than impressed.
19-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

An additional problem this year (and next) is the people who might have gone to both this year, but, because they want to go the over-priced Centenary, can't afford it. A lot of people have missed the Manx to save up for 2007.
19-09-2006, 04:54 PM