60 years ago
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
60 years ago
From my written records of the time, I note that the motorcycle and allied magazines were enthusing that the TT "would be returning to the Mountain Course in 1947"...

Has anyone got any original magazines or penny dreaduls of 1946 which relate what was to be at the TT ??

I go on my fathers notes, (he was mad on the TT as well !!) but in my actual collection I have no published proof...

I am trying to construct a time line as we build up to the centenary so please help me....
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
20-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
thanks
Thanks for the private messages and phone calls, it is all beginning to fall into place and I can almost remember 1946-1947 if I try hard !!!

In June 1947 my father, mother, uncle, aunt, my cousin Lee and I set out from Chester-le-Street across the spine of Britain (no motorways in them days) in what seemed to be a big car. It was loaded up with luggage and an ex-RAF dinghy which my uncle wanted to float round Douglas Bay.

The wind on the moors was gale force and my uncle lost his new trilby which flew off into the fields while he was making a necessary stop !!

Unfortunately the dinghy (not full of air) also swirled away and we couldn't catch iy.

The crossing was dreadful
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
03-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Website Find Reply