Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
20-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Website Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
The split-single
One of Dr Joe's split-single (aka Puch) was ridden in the TT. Sid Milne rode it to 17th in 1948 and 51st in 1951 Junior Clubman races. It was one of the few strokers to run in the Clubman.
20-10-2006, 11:21 AM
Website Find Reply
ade! Offline

Threads: 30

didn't any of the 125 or 250 emc machines ever do the t.t? around the mid 80's.
ade!
ACU? why not add "nt" to the end, you'll get the idea!
20-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147

Quite a few riders ventured forth on Dr Joe's smaller bikes, Jim Baughan, Rex Avery, Mike the Bike, Tony Godfrey, Paddy Driver rode in the 60s. In its later form, there were wins for Con Law, Eddy Laycock and Graeme McGregor on the Rotax-engined machines.
20-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

Oh dear, let's not go down this road - and don't let's have any of this nonsense about not speaking ill of the dead.

Dr Joe Ehrlich's early EMC was a DKW, and his later 125 (a "homer" from his de Havilland employment) was an MZ with watercooling applied.

He got the first MZ engine in a swap with Walter Kaaden for a set of Norton short roadholder forks . . . . . . . . .

Never had an original idea in his life - his later success was based on the Rotax in-line twin.

Plus, he wasn't one of the nicest of men in the world - just ask anyone who rode for him :!:

:wink:

Your move, ade :!: :!: :!:
20-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Find Reply
Arthur Lawn Offline

Threads: 23

That Puch split single brings back memories Ian,an EMC Puch was the first racing motorcycle I rode in the late 50s.
Not very quick and in trying to make it faster it devoured pistons.
What I remember of it, it had twin Amal carbs,1 each side and twin megaphones, later changed these for expansion chambers.
Only thing I liked about it was it had a most perculiar shaped like a kidney bean alloy tank. I virtually gave it away around 1962 wonder what it would be worth now?
20-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

Threads: 40

Probably the price of a whole tin of kidney beans Arthur Lol Lol

I've got me coat someone fetch the tiffer' :oops:
Youth is wasted on the under forties !
20-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Website Find Reply
ade! Offline

only met him the once larry. that was at york road race show about 85 i think. got a big bit to himself. andy watts was there. champagne laid on, the works. magnus pike? i might as well have been invisible Big Grin
andy watts very approachable, nice young lad. steve patrickson was still a punk. the exactweld was a joy to see in the flesh and andy mac was - well - andy mac. what a great bloke his was and probably still is. i think it was january when we went up in a borrowed hillman avenger with no heater. froze our paps off we did, but well worth it.
ade!
btw, i always called dr joe 'magnus pike' - he just reminded me of him when he started waving his arms about. "i would chust like to say-----"
20-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Find Reply
ade! Offline

i knew i'd forget something. i wonder what happened to the exactweld rider gary noel? last i heard he piled a bike up near his house in frimley, very badly injured.
i watched him at the euro championships at donno and he absolutely blitzed them. in the interview afterwards he could hardly see. he got something in his eye on the warm up lap and his eyes were red raw. i think it was the same year alex bedford won the 125 race [could be wrong], and when asked why he was late coming out, he answered "i don't really like working on motorbikes, so i left it till this morning to look at it" the fact was the clutch was hanging off and they managed to nail the bike back together at the last minute and get him out there. he walked it.
great pair of lads, great times.
ade!
20-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

I suspect that Con Laws winning EMC may well be in the hands of Davy Crawford :?:
Larry :?:
21-10-2006, 04:43 AM
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

Believe so
21-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Find Reply