Now is your chance...
thewitch
Unregistered

Now is your chance...
OK... speak now or forever hold your peace. This is what you all say should happen. Good on the MMCC. Opinions to Harvey, please, not me! Keep it clean, constructive, logical and open-minded. We will get the Manx Grand Prix we deserve, folks..

The Manx Motor Cycle Club Ltd. is anxious to ensure the long term future of the Manx Grand Prix Races [MGP]. Stability in the MGP is seen as vitally important, wherever this can be acheived. In addition, continuing with the mix of Classic and Modern Races is seen as fundamental to the continuing success of the MGP.
A thorough review is therefore being undertaken with a view to producing a five year, or longer, plan for the MGP. One of the objectives of the review is to enable the Club to give competitors/entrants the maximimum possible notice of any significant changes to the Regulations.
It is intended that the review will cover such issues as :-
The complete Race Programme - i.e. both Modern and Classic
The Race Classes - to ensure that we continue to run the Classes that the riders want.
The cut-off dates for Classic machinery.
The Club invites riders and/or entrants to assist in this review process by submitting their views on any issues in writing to the future of the MGP Races.
All views should be submitted, in writing, to:-
Harvey Garton
Sundown, Ballanard Road
Douglas, Isle of Man
IM2 5PW

Your assistance in planning the future of the MGP will be much appreciated

W.L. Bennett
Chairman
Manx Motor Cycle Club Ltd.
27-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is this to be in the motorcycling press ? Remember, not ALL riders/ entrants have Internet access. Oh and, I see the car racer is no longer Chairman, promotion or demotion? :wink:
28-03-2007, 04:01 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

I've no idea if it's to be elsewhere, but as it was a Press release I imagine it has been sent hither and yon. This is what you have been asking for. Stop being cynical and reply. Harvey Garton is a good guy, and this is your chance to do something positive for the Manx .
DO IT!
NOW!
28-03-2007, 06:04 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

By the way, I'd be interested if anyone feels they would like to share their submissions with us here, but I DON'T want you to send it to the website and not to Harvey. This is a genuine, sincere attempt to get your views. If you have one... get it to him.
Good luck, Harvey!
28-03-2007, 06:06 PM
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40

I had this e-mailed to me by Geoff Cannell but it specifically asks for the opinions of riders and entrants in writing to Harvey Garton. I'm neither an entrant or rider but I am an arch enthusiast and photographer/scribbler for my local paper on all things motorsport, so I shall certainly express an opinion. Golden opportunity guys, so don't waste it!

I would suggest scrapping the Newcomer's race and perhaps instigate awards for the first 3 newcomers in whichever race they're in. In it's place I'd suggest a post-classic race. Tridents, Commandos, TZs of all sizes, RG500s etc.

I'd also consider allowing ex-TT guys to ride 250s specifically (not the likes of Lougher & Palmer) but riders such as Bud Jackson, who will probably be there anyway and would probably love a run on a 250. I'd also allow ex-winners of the 250 back in (Steve Kuenne, Gavin Bell etc) basically to keep the numbers healthy in the class and promote some close racing within it.
28-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Some excellent ideas there, and controversial stuff too... opinions, please?
I see it's for riders etc, but I think if there is a heavy input from genuine enthusiasts, that will be taken into account... after all, the Island needs the visitors (customers) this might generate. I have been very worried about the future of the Manx, as it does not contribute to the economy, as it could, I am sure, if marketed well. Marketing begins with research and opinion-gathering (finding the audience), so here goes.
No point asking me as I want early morning practice, weighing in, and Aermacchis... oh well... I'll settle for a Manx that looks different from the TT, and caters for a different market.
Come on, folks, speak up.
If you like, I wll print out everything on here in a few weeks and hand deliver it to Harvey!
28-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Harvey Garton is a good guy".

Ive always found Harvey to be extremely approachable and one who actually listens, unlike some, and I fully intend to write to him with my views, very politely, of course.

As the witch says , Do it now.
28-03-2007, 07:59 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

[quote="ammo"]" very politely, of course.

Of course, Ammo!
28-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Tel Offline

Threads: 6

Let's hope they leave the 2 strokes alone. :roll:
29-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Find Reply
peterhindley Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2
MGP
Firstly, Can I say that in my opinion anyone who knocks Harvey has probably not met him.
I have known him for over 20 years, and he damn near gave me my first bike, a pair of boots, and took me to trials events when my parents could never have afforded too. Without Harvey and his kindness (and that of his family) I would probably not have enjoyed the last 20 years of competitive motorcycling.

If I had to choose one word to describe Harvey, it would be "reasonable". If you are not a rider or entrant, please pass your opinions on anyway. I am sure they would all be considered.

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that Paul Phillips has improved the standard at the TT, and that the event is in better shape with a bright future. Apart from the "6 meetings" rule (for the love of god someone explain why !!) and the fact that the TT is basically the same race 4 times* it looks ok to me.

The Manx should (in my opinion) be a "feeder" series for the TT, so for that reason we need the newcomers class to stay roughly as is. I would leave the 400's well alone as they are cheap to run, and offer an excellent power/stability balance for the newcomer, and would keep the 600's for their popularity, low'ish cost and reliabilty. I would drop the 750's as the entrys are comparitavly few, and I honestly belive a 1000cc bike is too much for newcomers. Twins/triples at the discression of the organisers.
If people want to compete on the mountain circuit, they should enter as a newcomer on a modern reliable bike. (There are enough risks without the mechanicals as well)

The senior classic is a growing class and should remain as is.

The junior classic could be run concurrently with the ultralightweight (Ultralightweight away first).

The Senior MGP really needs to remain as the premier race, but restricted to 600cc on grounds of cost and safety.

Right, the fun bit. I am no fan of sidecars. Never have been, never will be. But, why not have a classic sidecar race cut off date say 1980 ?. 2 laps, no capacity limit, run wot yer brung. Don't know if you could fill a grid, but it has to be worth an ask. (Moly might make a few quid from replica chassis ?)

Lastly, the serious bit. The cut off dates at the Manx have been held back too long. a T20 suzuki is now expensive to run, as is a 350 Honda. I believe Manx Nortons are actually getting cheaper due to remanufactured parts.

I proposed a new race. cut off date 1984. 250/350/750/1300 to be run concurrently. Hopefully that would ensure a full grid, and more importantly and intersting one. P&M Kawasaki's, Harris Honda's RG 500's, TZ/TR/KR 750, Rotax etc.

See how it goes for the first year, and then evolve to suit. I don't belive a 1000cc Suzuki can be wrestled round much faster than a TZ 250, so it should be safe.

So the week would be:-

Monday. Newcomers 400/600. Senior Classic.

Wednesday. Classic Sidecar. Lightweight. (classic and modern)

Friday. Post classic. Senior (600cc)

I guess this will uspset a few people, but I have tried to make it interesting from a spectator's point of view as well as bringing the TZ's that the Manx is begging for.

* The TT IS the same race 4 times. I understand that this is due to the class structure of racing generally, but why not move the senior Classic MGP to the TT ?.

Cheers

Peter.
29-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

That's a brilliant posting, and I hope many more of you will add your thoughts. Everyoe will not want the same, but we need to hear all your views... some of you shy people who never post??? RIDERS???
I'll second every word said about HG. Lovely man, who has done more for motorcycle sport than most.
29-03-2007, 11:30 AM
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40

Very interesting Peter but there are a couple of problems...

I love classic sidecars and although it would be superb to see them on the mountain course again, I don't think you'd get a full enough grid and there wouldn't be enough time to practice them unless mornings were brought back and/or evening sessions started at 5pm (both things would make me very happy by the way). Unfortunately the Athol St mob would dump all over that idea... Sad

You wouldn't be able to run the Senior classic at the TT again because of practice issues. They wouldn't be considered fast enough to run with the regular TT stuff and without extra sessions, this couldn't work.

I think we're both on the same page with the idea of a post-classic race at the Manx but not how it fits the programme. The trouble with the newcomer's race is you can't tell how many entries you'll get. The last two years have been pretty sparse, so my suggestion for race week would be:

Monday AM: Lightweight/Ultra Lightweight (see my earlier post about the 250 field)
Monday PM: Senior Classic

Wednesday AM: Junior/Lightweight Classic
Wednesday PM: Junior

Friday AM: Post Classic (TZ250/350/750, RG500, RS500, Tridents Rocket 3s, P&M, Jotas etc)
Friday PM: Senior

This would give a 50/50 split between old & modern and really appeal to those who love true race machinery.
29-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Website Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

"The Club invites rider and/or entrants to assist in their review process by submitting their views on any issues in writing to the future of the MGP Races."

Presumably this means exactly that, ANY issues in writing to the future of the MGP Races. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Know what I mean Squire, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say n'more, say n'more.

Actually, on http://www.iomtt.com and http://www.iommgp.com (the official website of the MGP) it says " any issues RELATING to the future of the MGP Races" which makes much more sense.
30-03-2007, 04:42 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, have you done it yet. I have, mines 5 A4 pages long, almost 2 of them devoted to the "Course Licence". How about you IOM riders who have been complaining about what you have to do/what its costing you to get the ACU's money making joke piece of paper known as the Course licence, have you done it yet. If not, do it now, you might just get something done.

Speak now,to Harvey Garton, or forever hold your peace.
14-04-2007, 12:07 PM