TT Quiz Question
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
TT Quiz Question
The following is a genuine quotation from the motor cycle Press, reference the TT:

"When every machine that starts in the TT race can finish the course we may well ask ourselves if the race has lost its usefulness as a test of machines.

"That day appears to be a long way off. It will probably never arrive. Before motor cycles reach that degree of reliability their speeds will probably have reached a limit that will make the Isle of Man course unsafe.

"We are very near that stage at present, and were it not that the Senior class covers so large a proportion of the number of motor cycles now being manufactured, one would be inclined to advocate the abandonment of the Senior class on the grounds of safety and the institution of 250 & 350 classes for the Junior and Senior"

Anyone care to put a date to this item :?:

No prizes, of course :!:

:wink:
18-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50

How about somewhere between 1935 and 1970 lol

or MCN last week, but Larry I know you wouldn't buy the MCN unless you have ran out of toilet paper and it was the last thing in the shop.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
18-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32

Can't be sure Larry, but I think it's Gilbert Smith (Norton's boss), discussing the reason that Norton were pulling out of factory supported racing, to concentrate on making production bikes. This would be in 1956.
However they,the industry bosses, were talking about the TT being too fast in the 20's when Jimmy Simpson first lapped at 60mph.
18-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
topicx
I have a Motorcycle magazine with this in dated 1956 after that years TT races, and it was reproduced in another mag of the day in the new year edition of 1957....... I'll find it and scan it..
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
20-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Keep going chaps (and fellow anorak Nick :!: :!: ) - you're not there yet . . . . . . quite

Big Grin
20-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

OK here we go . . . . . . . .

The magazine was "Irish Cyclist & Motor Cyclist", an excellent weekly which ran from 1895 to 1930.

The quote came from a TT review article in the issue dated June 23, 1920.

That year, the Senior was won by Tommy de la Hay on a works Sunbeam at 51.79mph, while the fastest lap, and a record, was by George Dance on another factory Sunbeam at 55.62mph.

The road surfaces were thoroughly nasty.

Like Jimmy Simpson in later years, George led several TTs and set fastest laps, but usually blew the motor . . . . . . . .

Had there been a prize, Nick J of course came nearest to winning it :!:

Thought - would his dad Allan have been spectating :?:

Oh it is fun to be an anorak :!: :!:

Big Grin
21-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
repro
It was reproduced by G S Davison in a later work..
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
22-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32

Well done Larry. I would never have got it, as I was convinced I was right with the Gilbert Smith comments of circa 1956. Ian agreed.
I can remember Dad (dad was Allan Jefferies to those that don't know), recalling that the ACU were worried about the high speeds on the TT course round about the Jimmy Simpson period of the 60/70/80mph laps, i.e. 1920's to early 30's.
I wonder where we go from now? There is no doubt that the current top boys are riding the course REALLY hard, and that the "130" laps are truly amazing. However I use the inverted commas advisedly, as the course hasn't really been lapped at 130. The time says it has, the distance says it hasn't. As for the Brandish/Windy corner alterations, words almost fail me.I used to understand how the old timers moaned about the improvements, and shrug my shoulders. However, there has never been a complete erosion of a bend (well maybe Snugborough, and maybe Quarry)like there has been at Brandish. What WERE the highways board thinking of.
22-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Find Reply
beepee Offline

Threads: 23

Mr Bruce Hannay(director of highways)says the 'improvements' are for general road safety.I suppose you can't argue with that,just a damn shame they are ruining our beloved course.

As posted on another forum I did 2 laps on a new blade and each time recorded 38.2 miles,please tell me the speedo is wildly inaccurate.

I do remember Neil Hanson being interviewed on Manx Radio on this subject and he appeared to put up all sorts of objections to remeasuring the course including not knowing how the original distance was measured, therefore any new measurement would not be a fair comparasion and to do it properly would involve closing the roads which he felt would not go down to well.
23-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

23-07-2007, 10:31 AM
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15

What a strange choice of clothing for an Ebay photo! The shoes and socks look sort of male, the p-js more suited to Shaun Tully off Corrie!
It is too late now, but someone should have given the course Grade 2 listing, then no one could have messed about with it!
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
24-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Find Reply