Allan Robinson MBE
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

I have to say that I agree with Ian that we should have a silent moment when we meet at next years TT.
Perhaps on the bus trip?

By the way Helen, am I down for two?
Please?
MV
01-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Website Find
Tommy Robb Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0

Having just returned from Allan Robinson's funeral, where along with hundreds of other affectionate friends we gave Allan the "send off" he deserved, I just had to put in writing a couple of points to all you supporters who remember the good work carried out by Allan Robinson.

I was a personal friend of Allan's for fifty years and a genuine admirer of the work he carried out for the TTRA and motorcycling in general. I also felt,like you, that Allan should be remembered for his compassion and help that he gave to riders who had fallen on hard times.

I was in touch with him right up to a week prior to his passing when he became too weak to have a conversation. I contacted the TTRA Committee and suggested that we should keep Allans memory alive whilst he was still with us and it was agreed that at the forthcoming TTRA Luncheon a Trophy would be awarded for outstanding work by a TTRA Member or FOTTRA(friends of the TTRA) member in the preceding year.

This trophy would be called the Allan Robinson Perpetual Trophy in the hope that Allan would be aware this year, that he was receiving some recognition for his efforts, and this would continue in the years to come.

This was passed by the committee, but a couple of days later Allan was defeated by his illness. I then contacted the committee and suggested that we now rename the proposed Trophy to, the Allan Robinson Memorial Trophy and it will include the name of Allans devoted and hard working wife Wyn who passed away in 2003, she was an equally hard worker for the TTRA.

Again the committeee agreed and at this very moment the Trophy is being prepared and will be presented to the first ever winner at the Luncheon later this month in the Motorcycle Museum.

In this way Allan's name will be kept alive and mentioned on an annual basis at this important TTRA event.

I feel certain that he will already have started to form another TTRA in the Sky and like you all, I shall enrol when I get there.

Tommy Robb
01-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Find
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

Tommy, thanks for letting us now about this.
I am sure many of us appreciate the fact that Alans
efforts have been acknowledged.
..and hey, you wont be enrolling for sometime!
MV
01-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Website Find
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
drw
Thanks Tommy...

I, for one, would like to contribute to anything in Alans name...I never was a TT rider but I was awarded a TTRA tie for my massive involvement with the TT....and I thank Alan for part of this...

It would be a nice tribute if we did have some sort of commemoration at TT 2008 but with due respect we should have it at a wider function than the bus
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
01-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Website Find
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

plus
.......and is there not a "Friends of the TTRA" which us plebs could join ??
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
01-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Website Find
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

BMF
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
01-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Website Find
ancient Offline

Threads: 4
allan robinson m.b.e.
good to read young robbs piece on alan,and nice to know that hes found this site,i was in the TT paddock one year and a rider from eastern europe was parked by me,it was his first TT and he was far from knowledgeable about the course.i loaned him my road bike to get some laps in . during practice he was fatally injured at the nook.i know alan and one other drove all the way to his home with cash for the widow and family.these acts were never broadcast.i liked the man why ? well he bought me dinner once !.and as i reached the paddock for the start of a parade lap my bike packed up (im a wizard mechanic ),he had me on another bike in no time at all.a star,no him not me,,,,
01-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Find
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32

Firstly,I am delighted to see so many new members joining in our healthy discussion group.
At least it WAS healthy until a few of you started an anti TTRA theme.Let me tell you, friends, I am NOT impressed.Thank goodness my good friend Tommy Robb has offered his welcome words of wisdom. The web site matter is fair game mind you, and I'm slightly embarrassed with the situation,BUT if you guys really knew the whole story,you would change your tune.
Please bear in mind this is a voluntary organisation,doing amazing deeds for TT riders,and connected persons, oh yes, I would love to tell you what actually DOES get done behind the scenes. Stand up Frances Thorp (our secretary),and John Kidson (Treasurer), committee members Joe Wood, Andy Jessop, and Malcolm Wheeler, and other unsung heroes. I am so proud to stand as President in this Centenary year, and I will defend everything about the TTRA that is good.Where were you when Frances asked in an earlier newsletter if anyone would help out with the website? It IS time consuming,and some of us have jobs!
Do you think our Patrons, namely Kel Prince,Michael Sutton,Murray Walker, and the Earl of March would wish to be associated with an organisation that was not worthy of their Patronage?I am delighted to tell you that our famous Luncheon to be held later this month has received fantastic support, with, I believe, over 500 guests already booked. Colin Seeley will be taking over the role of President.
Please oh please good people of this website, by all means have healthy constructive and controversial discussion at all times. I begged you in an earlier posting NOT to talk about matters of which you did not have a full grasp. Allan Robinson was a courageous and genial character, and truely a friend to many, and I am ashamed that his memorial posting is being used to soil the TTRA.
02-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Find
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15

Nick - hopefully a 'last word' on the TTRA, as I agree that I and others have maybe posted in an inappropriate place and it should have been a separate discussion (Helen - can/should you move the relevant postings to a new subject heading?).
If the communication was better, people would not be commenting on things where they did not know all the facts, because we would have been told them!
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
02-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Find
Arthur Lawn Offline

Threads: 23

I second everything Nick has said in that posting and would add that because of the nature of what the T.T.R.A.exsists for confidentiality has to be maintained at all times and the sterling voluntary work of its committee and generosity of its members and friends cannot be shouted from the rooftops or spread over the internet.
02-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Find
thewitch
Unregistered

I can vouch for the fact that the TTRA still acts as ancient described. They are there for riders when disaster strikes.
Present officials may have a different public image or do things a different way, but believe me, when the TTRA is needed, it is there.
As Arthur says, the nature of their work means it is confidential, and so we don't often hear about it. That's just how it has to be, but that doesn't mean it's not happening.
It would be good if someone could help out with the website, and then there will be a forum for news of riders past and present and of the non-confidential side of the TTRA. Any volunteers?
02-11-2007, 10:11 AM
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15

Like many, I suspect, I may have the time, but sadly not the ability! :?
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
02-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Find
cargo
Unregistered

This is now way off topic.......................but
:idea:
Just about every area in the UK and abroad I'll bet has local computer classes and those classes are most popular amongst "older" retired persons...................silver surfers I think is the expression.

I'm certian that with a few weeks of training anyone could learn to maintain a website.

Good grief I've learnt to admin a website along with helen with no formal training so it aint that hard

:idea: :idea:

Perhaps the TTRA would fund a volunteer to go on such a course
02-11-2007, 11:03 AM
thewitch
Unregistered

I think we have all had a chance to air our views on the TTRA, and to celebrate Alan, so I am closing this thread. If anyone wishes to help out the TTRA, and continue the work he did, please contact them, or tell me and I will.
Alan will be remembered formally and publicly every time the new trophy is awarded. He will be remembered privately with affection and humour constantly, I am sure.
02-11-2007, 11:22 AM