How many of You have raced on the Island or Ireland?
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

Link for Wirral 100 doesn't work, Pykey . . . . .
15-12-2007, 11:54 PM
Find Reply
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14

Well I must say this is the best thread I've read in a long time, what a good question. I'm in complete awe of some of you. Amazing to think that there is so much experience out there.
Heres my little contribution.
I first went to watch a club race at Cadwell in about 1985 when I was 18 on my brand new, if somewhat crash damaged RD125LC mark2!!!! Had no real idea where Cadwell was other than if we aimed towards skeggy we'd find it!!! I remember the rider that caught my eye that day was Mark Westmoreland on a sky blue TZ350 (could hav been a 250) and from then on I wanted one.
First TT as spectator was 1986, went for the 2 weeks, first place I watched was bottom of Bray and coldn't understand why these riders would go so quick to 'certain death'? But was gripped. I was still on my 125lc, with L plates Lol
First MGP I saw was 1989.
I raced short circuits from 1991 to 1992 to get my National licence then moved to road racing, doing Scarboro, Aberdare and then the MGP. Had a very chequered MGP 'career' starting 8 races in 4 years, finishing 4 times, retiring 3 times and falling off twice in the same lap in the 1994 lwt whilst in 5th place, between signpost and the nook, made the only sensible decision I've ever made in racing by retiring at the end of that lap at the pits. However I was lucky enough to get help from other people inlcluding Pete Norman of Stanton Service Station, Martin Bullock and Kev Spurr of KS Performance.
Only acheivements were
1992 Fe 250 open champion
Aberdare FE 350 open 1 st place and 3rd place in 1993 as newcomer.
1995 lwt MGP 3rd
1996 lwt MGP 1st.
had a tumble in Senior TT in 97 which effectively ended my competitive days, did NW200 in 1999 on 125 and loved it. Did TT again in 1999, 2000 and 2003 but the spark had gone. Have mechaniced for Mick Skene 2002 MGP, Maria Costello 2002 MGP, Carolyyn Sells 2003 MGP. From 2004 onwards I've helped (or hindered) not sure which, Brian The Scone Ranger Spooner at MGP.
Funny but when I summed up my crashes on the TT course I'd actually had more than I had finishes!! Same at Aberdare and Scarboro, I think I could be on the right side of the fence now :shock:
Russ
Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
16-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Website Find Reply
Barry Wood Offline

Threads: 5

It's been great fun reading these postings, I have watched all these people racing and in most cases, I still have their autographs in my books from the early 70's. Remind me to get your autograph next time I see you Clucie........! Lol
My own road racing career, should I be in a position to have a go next year, spans 25 consecutive years of racing, although it doesn't seem like it in many ways. I've maybe had more "downs" than "ups" in the sport, but I wouldn't have changed anything if I'd had the chance. I've done my best as a privateer most of that time, but am very grateful for the help I've had from a few people along the way.
My first race was on 15th April 1984 and my early experience was gained at Jurby Airfield, like most Manx riders, plus a few trips across to short circuits like Cadwell, Pembrey, Carnaby to gain enough points for my National licence. Oh, also Langbaurgh-on-Tees (come on, who else ever raced there??) where I ended up in Middlesbrough Hospital, listening to the crowd roaring at Ayresome Park football ground, about 30 yards away.
Once I had my National, I finished with short circuits, although I did Aghadowey once for the Celtic Match Races. Then I raced regularly in Ireland on the roads, doing as much as I could afford to do. I raced the Cookstown 100 many times, on the Sherrygroom circuit which was brilliant, and on the Orritor circuit which was awful. Tandragee a few times, Mid-Antrim 150 twice, Temple 100, Carrowdore 100, Skerries 100 for 13 years on the trot, until the Steam Packet made it impossible to race there without taking a week off work to do so, and Killalane.
I made my MGP debut in 1988, on a totally standard TZR 250 Yamaha, which I lapped at just under 99 mph the following year. For many years, most of my racing was on two-strokes, Yamaha TZ 250, 320, 350, Suzuki T20 and Rotax machines. My MGP highpoints were winning two Classic Lightweight MGP's back-to-back in 1999 and 2000 and a standing start lap on a Honda 500 Classic at almost 103 mph. My attempts to pull off a hat trick of wins were thwarted in 2001 by Foot and Mouth. I was 2nd in the 1996 Lightweight race by just 4 secs, after having to ride through yellow flags at Ginger Hall on the first lap, an incident which occurred behind the eventual race winner. I lay a close 2nd in the race the following year, only to hit the kill switch by accident on lap 3 at Cronk Y Voddy, and watch my opportunity slip away as several riders passed me as I found the problem and got going again. I have been fortunate to stand on the MGP rostrum 9 times, something which makes me very proud, and has made it all worth the effort.
I moved to the TT in 1998, and competed until this year, although crashes in 1999, 2006 and 2007 put an end to my efforts. I never realised my TT ambitions, sadly. My fastest lap was just under 118 mph on the first lap of the 2006 Superbike race on my own bog-standard R1, shortly before losing it at the 11th Milestone at high speed. I never got a silver rep, although I got 7 bronze. I had made up my mind this time last year that the 2007 TT would be my last time on the TT grid, and my decision still stands and will continue to do so.
Also the Southern 100 has been a meeting close to my heart, and I have been a regular at Billown since my debut there in 1988, both in the Southern 100, where I have scored many rostrum positions and many Classic wins, but also in the Pre-TT Classic, where I have had 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, led by miles before striking trouble, fastest laps etc etc, but never managed to win one. So I still do have one or two ambitions in racing!!
Just briefly to finish off, regarding the Ramsey road course, I raced there for two of the four years it existed but never had any luck. I enjoyed it very much but freely admit that it was very dangerous. I was the first ever person to crash there, at the right hander leading back onto the seafront, prompting the corner to be named "Wood's Corner" in recognition!
Look forward to reading a few more peoples stories.
16-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

You never asked me for mine in 1978, Barry :!: :!:

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
16-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Find Reply
Barry Wood Offline

Was that the year I was waiting at the Grandstand for you with book and pen Larry, only you decided to dump it at Signpost and stay up there instead?? Lol Lol Lol
16-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

That wasn't '78 Barry, but I suppose I asked for that :!:

Just imagine though, my first Senior TT, get 5 laps done, arrive at Signpost with one mile left out of 226 and a half, and I binned it.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
16-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Find Reply
Barry Wood Offline

These things happen Larry. I was at Bedstead the previous year, 1977, when Bill Simpson came off at The Nook on the last lap whilst in a very safe 3rd place in the 250cc Junior TT!!
16-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Was that the year he was given an award as the most unlucky MGP competitor?
16-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Barry Wood Offline

TT actually Helen. But yes, thats the one. Incredible bad luck so near to the finish!
17-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Find Reply
Crofter Offline

Threads: 4

Well guys thanks for all your answers I new I was Privileged to be
in your forum but did not realise how much alot of you had done racing or spectating.

I could tell from your postings that alot of you seemed very knowledgeable.

Thanks once again for answering.

Crofter
17-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50

Hey LarryD,

Did you ever actually finnish? lmao Lol Lol Lol

Kidding mate, honest .....

And Barry, I have to say I was always in awe of you and your tennasity and love of the sport, an unsung hero indeed.... not to mention you encyclopeadic knowlage, you are a star. I always thought you as a real replacement for the likes of Geoff Cannell, did you ever get asked?
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
17-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

I think I owned a bike at one time, never raced, rode on the road but never again to many cars,
17-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Steve Mc Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2

Short Circuits

Oulton
Cadwell
Brands
Aintree
Croft
Mallory
Anglesey
Three Sisters
Snetterton
Pembrey

Roads
Manx GP x 6
Skerries
Steam Packet
Cookstown

All t'others are on me to do list subject to spondoolies!!
Steve Mc
Avon Tyres
MGP U/L 2000, 2002, 2005
17-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Kiss my bottom, Dave.

There'll be tyre marks over you next May :!: :!:

Big Grin
17-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50

larryd Wrote:Kiss my bottom, Dave.

There'll be tyre marks over you next May :!: :!:

Big Grin

I would do Larry but with all those tarmac marks on it you and Barry would look like twins... lol

( I was going to say I was going to but by the time you got back it would be dark and everyone would have gone home, but I didn't want to be hurtfull lol)
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
18-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Oh, my, the old curmudgeon may have met his match here... Barry, can you come in as reinforcements!? :roll: :yah
18-12-2007, 12:13 AM
larryd Offline

Daren't say too much, Helen, or he'll say that my (Cargo's :!: :!: :!: ) transponders don't work . . . . . . . . . . .

smilie
18-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Find Reply
Barry Wood Offline

Well thank you very much Clucie. I'm very humble! No I was never asked to do anything like that, I may have all the facts in my head, but you have to be able to talk a great deal in public and I'm not sure I could handle that. It would take very special individuals to fill Geoff Cannell's and Peter Kneale's shoes, and I don't believe too many such people exist these days. Although I could name quite a few that I enjoy a yarn with about racing when I get the chance, and they know their stuff too.
Anyway, my main failing is that I would refuse to toe the party line. I would have too many things to say that would knock a few noses out of joint. A bit like yourself mate. That's why I enjoy most of your postings. Keep 'em coming!! Lol Lol I'll stick to the quiet life!
18-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88

Barry you are a star as you rescued me at Skerries Lol Lol Lol
18-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Quiet life?? When's that going to start??
18-12-2007, 10:44 PM