TT Sounds
theflyingplumber Offline

Threads: 5
TT Sounds
Evening all,
I am sure that most of you have been, visiting/Riding the TT/MGP for quite some time (doesn't matter how long). My question is,
what would you consider to be the most exciting/exhaust sound you have heard around the course.

You can split it into two stroke/four stroke if you like. Engine size doesn't matter, and can include solo's and chairs.

Just to make it even more interesting, where is the best place to spectate
and hear these fabulous sounds.

Any thoughts to stir the imagination on a cold winters night?.
26-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Find Reply
irishago Offline

Threads: 18
Honda 297 six.
For me it has to be the Honda 297 six i was about 9 when i heard it first and after that it would be the sound of Ago,s MV 3 coming up the mountain mile while watching at the bungalow you could hear every gear change up to the bungalow and beyond..... id love to hear a MotoGP bike on the course just to bring back the sound of open pipes.......all the best Irish Ago....
26-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Website Find Reply
theflyingplumber Offline

Re: Honda 297 six.
irishago Wrote:For me it has to be the Honda 297 six i was about 9 when i heard it first and after that it would be the sound of Ago,s MV 3 coming up the mountain mile while watching at the bungalow you could hear every gear change up to the bungalow and beyond..... id love to hear a MotoGP bike on the course just to bring back the sound of open pipes.......all the best Irish Ago....

Irishago, I can hear it sat here and you describe it so well
The bungalow is my favourite area for spectating and if you get a nice day up there with no wind, its as you say all the way up tje mountain mile and all the way to windy.

When the Bungalow was there, It had a veranda that protruded into the road. I once saw Duke come through and he caught his right foot peg on the veranda corner which nearly had him off. The second lap he come through again and instead of giving it a wide birth as we all expected, just adjusted his line by a couple of inches and was ok.
A thrill a minute.
26-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63

I'm sure that Ian won't mind me pinching a great photo of the old bungalow from his famous TT Fan website to illustrate the anecdote above.

[Image: BUNG2.jpg]
27-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Find Reply
theflyingplumber Offline

John Foster Wrote:I'm sure that Ian won't mind me pinching a great photo of the old bungalow from his famous TT Fan website to illustrate the anecdote above.

[Image: BUNG2.jpg]

John Foster,
thanks a bunch and does that bring back happy memories.
Absolutely brilliant and the protruding veranda is there for all to see.

The bungalow "S" bend was a different kettle of fish at that time, and have seen several caught out there and step off.
It is a great photograph and as you can see, the state of the road surface was not good compared with today.
27-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88

No problem the Honda 6 and my favourite viewing place probably the bottom of Bray and Ballascarey( Glen Vine).
27-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Find Reply
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141

Unfortunately for me, i never got to hear the honda 6 / mv agustas etc in anger at the IOM TT, However, slightly of course here, i can re call Ralph Bryans, Giacomo Agostini and Renzo Pasolini, that was , honda 6, MV 3 and Benelli 3/4? , all together coming into Leathemstown at the UGP!! Pure Music!!
, But regarding the TT Circuit, i have to say, when spectating at Brandywell,, if the wind is blowing the right way, the noise of the bikes/sidecars howling their way from the bungalow towards Hailwoods rise is superb!
27-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Website Find Reply
theflyingplumber Offline

pykey Wrote:No problem the Honda 6 and my favourite viewing place probably the bottom of Bray and Ballascarey( Glen Vine).

TT sounds, when I first attended the TT/MGP singles were the order of the day, but there was distinct sounds between Norton/Velos/AJS etc, and with them blowing straight through. They did sound great.
Then the Twins with their distinct sound was another dimension and gave some idea as to what was to come, which was the Multi-cylinder bikes.
Well the MVs and Gileras were a revelation in sound, particularly the MVs which to me could be best described as a screaming sound.
Then along came the Japanese with Honda etc.
Of course then there was so many different sounds with bikes starting at 50cc with so many gears.
One sound that did stand out as being different for me, was the BM's in the chairs, such a powerful throbbing beat.
I would have to say that that the fist bike round in practice/race sets my heart thumping whatever it is. that's the TT aint it.
27-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Take your pick from these websites.

Honda 6 for me, but I did hear Ago climb up from the Bungalow on the MV on my first visit here... awesome.

http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Sounds.htm

http://www.cmsnl.com/classic-honda-galle...riesPage=6
27-01-2008, 07:29 PM
theflyingplumber Offline

thewitch Wrote:Take your pick from these websites.

Honda 6 for me, but I did hear Ago climb up from the Bungalow on the MV on my first visit here... awesome.

http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Sounds.htm

http://www.cmsnl.com/classic-honda-gallery/gallery.php?

gl_galleriesPage=6

Thanks for the two sites "thewitch" and yes the Honda 6 was awesome.

I think a good place for spectating and with sounds in mind is Glen Helen.
You can hear the bikes all through the Glen Helen section with the exhaust sounds resounding in the woods that run right through the section.
27-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Find Reply
Keith Pursglove
Unregistered

TT Sounds
Hi Guys,
I have been watching with interest various posts and as you seem like a nice bunch of guys just had to join and contribute to this one.

I agree that the Honda six through Glen Helen takes some beating, but the 250 Yamaha Fours through the bottom of Barregarrow with Bill Ivy and Phil Read on board (no rolling the throttle there!) stands out in my memory.
And what about those 50cc Honda twins revving to 22,000!! and the 12 speed Suzuki 50's!!!

I also think that the sounds were much better in morning practice when the air was still, or was it that we were not properly awake?
29-01-2008, 03:36 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

Yes, they were... wait till Ian Huntly sees this .....
29-01-2008, 04:15 PM
theflyingplumber Offline

Re: TT Sounds
Keith Pursglove Wrote:Hi Guys,
I have been watching with interest various posts and as you seem like a nice bunch of guys just had to join and contribute to this one.

I agree that the Honda six through Glen Helen takes some beating, but the 250 Yamaha Fours through the bottom of Barregarrow with Bill Ivy and Phil Read on board (no rolling the throttle there!) stands out in my memory.
And what about those 50cc Honda twins revving to 22,000!! and the 12 speed Suzuki 50's!!!

I also think that the sounds were much better in morning practice when the air was still, or was it that we were not properly awake?

Thanks for your post Keith,
Strange I think that sat here looking at the screen and the mere mention
of what you (and other contributors) describe, is enough to make you sit back a while and listen to those sounds.

All the 50cc bikes sounded like a swarm of bees with their 22,000 revving engines.
It was so different then with so many different sounding bikes.
I think the answer to the question of morning practice sounding better is down to a bit of both the answers you suggest. Happy days.
29-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Find Reply
Kev from RRS.Com Offline

Threads: 19
The Last Norton
Sound and Vision :wink:

Kev

http://media.putfile.com/The-Last-Norton
Those that do don't, and those that don't, do
http://www.roadracingsupporters.com
30-01-2008, 01:28 AM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

That got me going for the day!
Wonder what Huw Huws is doing these days?
30-01-2008, 08:20 AM
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15

I heard a strange sound accompanying John Foster's posting of that picture - not a motorcycle, but the thump of several Health & Safety officers as they fainted at the sight of people sitting within 10 feet of the course! Big Grin
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
30-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Find Reply
smokey125 Offline

Threads: 7

Great thread this, main reason I joined. I often come and had a look but thought it was time to join in.

Unfortunately I'm not old enough to remember those great machines (born in the wrong decade) I have been fortunate enough to hear most of them running at classic events and the Honda 6 is a sound rivalled by no other. Big Grin

So my sound is going to be very selfish. A few years ago we tried a full open mega on my dads 350 Duacti, it was a morning session (never really enjoyed them that much but I do miss them) I was one of the first 20 or so away. By the time I got to Kirk Michael I was completely on my own, it was a good morning but was still had that slight half light haze. I will never forget the sight, sound and feeling I got from the half mile stretch through the village that morning. Never been a moment like it before or since. Many other great moments but there will never be another like it.
Shame. Sad

I'll finish it one day!
31-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Find Reply
theflyingplumber Offline

smokey125 Wrote:Great thread this, main reason I joined. I often come and had a look but thought it was time to join in.

Unfortunately I'm not old enough to remember those great machines (born in the wrong decade) I have been fortunate enough to hear most of them running at classic events and the Honda 6 is a sound rivalled by no other. Big Grin

So my sound is going to be very selfish. A few years ago we tried a full open mega on my dads 350 Duacti, it was a morning session (never really enjoyed them that much but I do miss them) I was one of the first 20 or so away. By the time I got to Kirk Michael I was completely on my own, it was a good morning but was still had that slight half light haze. I will never forget the sight, sound and feeling I got from the half mile stretch through the village that morning. Never been a moment like it before or since. Many other great moments but there will never be another like it.
Shame. Sad

I am glad you are enjoying this thread Smokey, being a newcomer when I posted the article I thought it might be old hat to most people.
What you describe I find interesting.

Now then this Honda 6 that seems to be most posters favourite, Is there any one reading this who has actually ridden one?.
It would be great to know if when riding it, it sounds anything like what a spectator hears.
I think most associate with the sound when the bike is tramping on, but what about somewhere like Ramsey Hairpin?, when going down through the gears and when exiting and going back up through them again, I reckon that might be the cats whiskers for a lot of people. :roll:
31-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50

For me being a young'un (lol ok Cargo), the sound of the RC30 was absolutely lovely. Could listen to one of them all day. Ruined by the RC45 though. lol
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
01-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I almost swooned at the idea of the noise of the Honda 6 at Ramsey Hairpin! Lol
One of my favourites from the old records was the Gilera of Camathias' sidecar, going round Governor's.
Big Grin Ooh.. I think I need to lie down in a dark room ... smilie
01-02-2008, 02:17 PM