TT Sounds
smokey125 Offline

Threads: 7

For me the Honda 6 and the other exotic multis of that era sound better on the overrun rather than full chat. For me it would have to be the approach to Creg, get the best of both worlds without the meggaphoneitus (that's got to be spelt wrong) you would get from them at Ramsey.

Of the newer road bike the RC30 has got to be the best. Having said that you can't beat the sound of a screaming 2 stroke 4 RGs/TZs etc. Big Grin

I'll finish it one day!
01-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Find Reply
theflyingplumber Offline

Threads: 5

smokey125 Wrote:For me the Honda 6 and the other exotic multis of that era sound better on the overrun rather than full chat. For me it would have to be the approach to Creg, get the best of both worlds without the meggaphoneitus (that's got to be spelt wrong) you would get from them at Ramsey.

Of the newer road bike the RC30 has got to be the best. Having said that you can't beat the sound of a screaming 2 stroke 4 RGs/TZs etc. Big Grin

Yes I see what you mean about the Creg Smoky, accelerating round Kates then hurtling downhill towards the Creg, down through the gears around the corner and back up through the gears and flat out again.
The best of both worlds as you say. WOW. :shock:
01-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Find Reply
theflyingplumber Offline

thewitch Wrote:I almost swooned at the idea of the noise of the Honda 6 at Ramsey Hairpin! Lol
One of my favourites from the old records was the Gilera of Camathias' sidecar, going round Governor's.
Big Grin Ooh.. I think I need to lie down in a dark room ... smilie

Yes thewitch, it makes you want to move forward in time to June EH!.
Think I will get the old LP record out later and dream on. 8)
01-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Find Reply
Keith Pursglove
Unregistered

TT Sounds
Having just spoken to my good buddy who used to holiday with me at the TT, he reminded me of the morning Bob MacIntyre did the first unofficial 100mph lap on the Gilera.
We were at Kates, and we heard that bike all the way to Signpost! Fabulous sound and fantastic rider. So cool he even made eye contact as he passed as we were hanging over the bank trying to take photos. (Would not be allowed to do that today!)

Having said all this about the multi cylinder Japanese & Italian screamers, can you beat the sound and smell of a Manx, 7R or G50 through Glentrammon with Hailwood, Minter or the very underated Alan Shepherd on board?
I guess that the flying plumber and I are of an age, ( my first TT was 1954) so consider myself very lucky as through the 60's we saw all the works teams battling it out, and in those days you knew who was coming down the road by the sound of the bike as they were all so differant. Happy days. But I still get the same thrill now. Must be something in the Manx air....
02-02-2008, 12:19 AM
theflyingplumber Offline

Re: TT Sounds
Keith Pursglove Wrote:Having just spoken to my good buddy who used to holiday with me at the TT, he reminded me of the morning Bob MacIntyre did the first unofficial 100mph lap on the Gilera.
We were at Kates, and we heard that bike all the way to Signpost! Fabulous sound and fantastic rider. So cool he even made eye contact as he passed as we were hanging over the bank trying to take photos. (Would not be allowed to do that today!)

Having said all this about the multi cylinder Japanese & Italian screamers, can you beat the sound and smell of a Manx, 7R or G50 through Glentrammon with Hailwood, Minter or the very underated Alan Shepherd on board?
I guess that the flying plumber and I are of an age, ( my first TT was 1954) so consider myself very lucky as through the 60's we saw all the works teams battling it out, and in those days you knew who was coming down the road by the sound of the bike as they were all so differant. Happy days. But I still get the same thrill now. Must be something in the Manx air....

Hi! again keith, I am a little older than you and started spectating before as well, but we both were lucky enough to see what you describe with all the teams fighting it out, and for points towards the world Championship as well.
Duke was my first hero (although anyone who rides the TT/MGP is a hero as far as I am concerned). I recall when it was thought Duke had done the first Ton lap, it was a big disappointment to me when he hadn't. I am pretty sure from Ramsey hairpin to ramsey hairpin he did, but that dont count.

I remember as a 8/9 year old being woken up by the bikes going along the prom (from the lockup garages) and making their way up to the start for morning practice, what a fabulous way to be roused by a Manx, 7R, G50 etc.
Have to say the Gilera was a revelation in every way for me and had an effect that remains with me to this day.
Its a long time ago now, but looking at the photograph of the bungalow as it was, its as if it was only yesterday, until I get out of the chair that is. :roll:
02-02-2008, 01:15 AM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39

In 1967 my old man took my twin brother & me to Barregarrow for morning practice - we were already TT veterans at the age of 7 having first come in 1964 - and I will always remember the Honda 6 going through there. On race days he'd go to the Mountain Box and I remember in the 1968 Senior there were 3-4 guys on G50s, Manx Nortons etc close together on the road for a few laps sounding like a flight of WW2 bombers coming down the Mountain Mile on open megaphones.

I never thought I'd say this but I really miss the sound of a crisp TZ350 before the days of silencing.

Silencing really diminished the whole experience for me and I pity those who never got to hear proper racing engines through unsilenced pipes...
04-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Website Find Reply
Keith Pursglove
Unregistered

TT Sounds
Sticky - Well said that man.

Running silenced bikes has taken away a lot of pleasure both on the Island and circuits all round the UK.

But as someone who has sat on the line with 39 other guys on unsilenced MX (whoops sorry) Scrambles bikes, I do have a little difficulty hearing things these days. I wonder why?
04-02-2008, 12:13 PM
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Keith, you have my sympathy.... after riding a Morini 350 Sport with an unbaffled RMS race pipe on it for twenty-odd years, my hearing's a bit knackered too...
04-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Website Find Reply
theflyingplumber Offline

sticky Wrote:Keith, you have my sympathy.... after riding a Morini 350 Sport with an unbaffled RMS race pipe on it for twenty-odd years, my hearing's a bit knackered too...

Sticky/Keith,
On reflection when I posted this article I should have made reference to the unbaffled bikes on the Island, when asking for TT sounds.
Your posts reminded me of what a huge difference there is between with and without baffled silencers.

I may have mentioned it before but on a still day (is it my imagination about those still days with the Tar melting in the heat and pre race warnings for the riders) no matter where you was on the course you could here those unbaffled bikes for miles and miles. The excitement they generated while awaiting the first man round was fantastic.
Some times even the TT regular spectators just stood and looked at each other with mouths wide open "speechless".

Changing topic slightly, when looking at the Bungalow photograph, just look at all the TT fans and the thing is, the vast majority were not motorcyclists. It just demonstrates what a unique event the TT is and was.
05-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Find Reply
Tel Offline

Threads: 6

"Long live Two Strokes"
05-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32

Ahhhh! The Honda 6 wins hands down for me. There will be/has been nothing quite like it. I was lucky enough to be at the bottom of Baaregarrow in 1966 when Mike Hailwood and Stuart Graham came through on their 250 sixes. OH MY GOD!!! Nothing compares.
And this year I was lucky enough to catch up with Stuart on the 6 just after Alpine on Friday's Parade of Champions, and for a few moments I followed him just soaking it all up. some of the old bikes look like dinosaurs, but not the 6. I still think it looks fabulous 40years later!
As mentioned by Sticky, today's fans are missing something with the "synthetic shrink wrapped" sounds of the modern day Japanese four cylinder. Even my old factory RC30 sounds a bit special because it is so different.
06-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Find Reply
arzed Offline

Threads: 9

Apologies if it is answered elsewhere but on what stretch is "The Last Norton" recorded? Looks like around Glentramman maybe?
07-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

The guy filming it was at Ballacrye but you can hear it all the way past Sulby Bridge!
07-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

and I was there... if not that morning another that week... amazing, evocative sound, and stuck under the trees, with the birds, the stillness, and then that!
08-02-2008, 12:10 AM
balin Offline

Threads: 10

thewitch Wrote:and I was there... if not that morning another that week... amazing, evocative sound, and stuck under the trees, with the birds, the stillness, and then that!

IIRC I was on my own that morning, but I've been wrong before Big Grin Big Grin

There wasn't enough light to take photos, not with the kit I had at the time so I switched to the vid setting, just to get something out of the early morning start. When Cyril came past I just let it roll until I could hear other bikes approaching. Serendipity Big Grin Big Grin
08-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Find Reply
Kev from RRS.Com Offline

Threads: 19

balin,

I'm pleased you posted, as I couldn't remember who had filmed that clip Lol and it's been bugging me for ages now :wink:

I posted that up for you on Sparks a few years back if you remember Smile

Kev
Those that do don't, and those that don't, do
http://www.roadracingsupporters.com
08-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Website Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Balin, any chance of posting it again on here? I think some of the newer members may appreciate it Big Grin
08-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Website Find Reply
Kev from RRS.Com Offline

Threads: 19

sticky Wrote:Balin, any chance of posting it again on here? I think some of the newer members may appreciate it Big Grin

It's here Mike :wink:

Kev

http://media.putfile.com/The-Last-Norton
Those that do don't, and those that don't, do
http://www.roadracingsupporters.com
08-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Website Find Reply
balin Offline

Threads: 10

Kev from Sparks Wrote:balin,

I'm pleased you posted, as I couldn't remember who had filmed that clip Lol and it's been bugging me for ages now :wink:

I posted that up for you on Sparks a few years back if you remember Smile

Kev

Indeed I do , Kev. IIRC it was you that first realised the wisdom of sharing the clip!! TVM Big Grin
09-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Find Reply