the worlds longest bridge...81 miles
y2blade Offline

Threads: 13
the worlds longest bridge...81 miles
[Image: bridge.jpg]

SPECTACULAR plans were unveiled today to build the world’s longest bridge between Liverpool and the Isle of Man.

Tourism and business chiefs on the island have given an early thumbs up to the ambitious plan for the 82-mile long structure.

It would stretch from Liverpool’s waterfront to the Isle of Man’s capital, Douglas, and finally give motorists the option of driving across the Irish Sea, rather than flying or taking a ferry.

If the scheme is given the go-ahead, it is hoped construction could begin during 2012.

It would hopefully be ready to welcome its first vehicles in early 2015.

Officials in the Isle of Man have described the bridge as a “world’s first” in terms of its architecture, design and technical innovation.

And a campaign has started on the island to name the structure the Alf Priolo Bridge after a distinguished 19th Century Manx engineer.

The scheme was drawn up as a result of long-running discussions between Liverpool and the island about how to improve already strong trade and tourism relations.

Adrian Earnshaw, the Isle of Man’s minister of tourism and leisure, said: “The construction of this bridge will be a massive undertaking and a world first, so we are very proud and optimistic that this project will be a success.

“Links between the Isle of Man and Liverpool have always been strong and this will only serve to bring us closer together, improving trade and tourism links by way of a magnificent and ground-breaking structure.”

At 82 miles, the crossing would dwarf the world’s current longest road bridge, the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway in Southern Louisiana, which covers a distance of 23.87 miles.

It would even outclass the Channel Tunnel, which is 34.1 miles long.

Huge advances in bridge technology have made the ambitious project viable.

Currently, ferries take about two and a half hours to cross between the island and Liverpool’s Pier Head.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool...-20699209/
01-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Find Reply
Phil Windrum Offline

Threads: 5
RE: the worlds longest bridge...81 miles
Excellent idea! Can we have one from Northern Ireland as well!

What date is it today?
01-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Find Reply
y2blade Offline

Threads: 13
Phil Windrum Wrote:Excellent idea! Can we have one from Northern Ireland as well!

What date is it today?

smilie
01-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58
YahooPigflysmiliePigfly

nice one though !
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
01-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
Already posted this but at least it shows scoucers have a plan....
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
01-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Find Reply
Michael Offline

Threads: 6
And what will happen to the Steam Racket??
Michael
01-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Sunk, Michael. I am sure you would not miss it!smilieEvil
01-04-2008, 05:17 PM
alf885 Offline

Threads: 46
DCLUCIE Wrote:Already posted this but at least it shows scoucers have a plan....

Not scousers I'm afraid, your very own Dept. of Tourism and Leisure I believe. Brightened up my day anyway. How about a roundabout at our end, call it a hairpin, close it for 4 weeks a year and race on it!
smilie
01-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Website Find Reply
gary the nurse Offline

Threads: 18
what???????now i know it's an april fool joke if someone thinks the LSD formally known as DoT came up with it

LSD-laughing stock dept
01-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Find Reply
alf885 Offline

Threads: 46
gary the nurse Wrote:what???????now i know it's an april fool joke if someone thinks the LSD formally known as DoT came up with it

LSD-laughing stock dept

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Liverpool...3935728.jp
01-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
...Hey, I thought that they were going to extend the Mersey Tunnel in a North Westerly direction through the Island and on to Ireland with side roads coming up onto Douglas Promenade and the other road going down to Ireland from Sulby, using the Glen Hotel as the customs post.

You see, the bridge would be susceptible to rising waters in the Irish Sea due to the ice melting in the Cairngorms !!

Did you see the "flying Penguins" this morning on TV....

Very good use of modern computer technology.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
01-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Website Find Reply