new chief marshal
gary the nurse Offline

Threads: 18
new chief marshal
http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=19478
29/04/2008 11:30:57

Chief Constable Mike Langdon is to be the new Chief Marshal for T.T. 2008.

The announcement was made by Tourism Minister Adrian Earnshaw during today's House of Keys sitting questions.

Mr Langdon will replace Roger Hurst who resigned after criticism from Coroner Michael Moyle at the end of the inquest into the three deaths at the 26th Milestone during last year's Senior T.T..

Mr Earnshaw says the appointment of Mr Langdon is very positive for the event's future:-

Clip 1
29-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
RE: new chief marshal
gary the nurse Wrote:http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=19478
29/04/2008 11:30:57

Chief Constable Mike Langdon is to be the new Chief Marshal for T.T. 2008.

The announcement was made by Tourism Minister Adrian Earnshaw during today's House of Keys sitting questions.

Mr Langdon will replace Roger Hurst who resigned after criticism from Coroner Michael Moyle at the end of the inquest into the three deaths at the 26th Milestone during last year's Senior T.T..

Mr Earnshaw says the appointment of Mr Langdon is very positive for the event's future:-

When did Tom Loughridge's old mate cease to be Manx Chief Constable?

And what does Mr Langdon know about marshalling?

Surely we need knowledge and, especially, experience?

smilie

Clip 1
29-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Find Reply
Fitz Offline
Fitzjnr

Threads: 15
We have experience Larry, in the form of all the Marshals that sign on.

Mike Culverhouse, Roger Hurst, Mike Langdon, You, Me, Cargo, Witch..makes no odds, one person in the role of Chief Marshal does not make the event any better or worse.

Maybe we will see the police at the roadside again?, which can only be a good thing.
29-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Well, I'm pleased that progress has been made at the tenth hour, the Isle of Man has made a positive decision, and I wish C/M Langdon (2008) much luck in his new position.

He needs a rod of iron, eyes in the back of his head, a lot of common sense and be able to do without sleep for at least two weeks.

I feel a bit more confidant now...........Looking forward to the TT !
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
29-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Website Find Reply
samwise Offline

Threads: 4
larryd Wrote:When did Tom Loughridge's old mate cease to be Manx Chief Constable?

And what does Mr Langdon know about marshalling?

Surely we need knowledge and, especially, experience?

smilie

Mike Culverhouse's contract as Chief Constable ended on 31st December 2007, having been extended from his original 5-year contract starting in September 1999.
29-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Website Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
Mr Culverhouse seemed to run away like a scaulded cat and turned his back on the TT. I have to say I am really pleased that the New Chief Con seems to be making an effort to be a part of the community and not an overseer. Good luck to him .... he will, as Ian says , he will need it .....
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
29-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Find Reply
Phil Windrum Offline

Threads: 5
Another box ticked. Good to see some of the uncertainty ended.
Also nice to see a high profile appointment with some authority. Should be good at building bridges between the organisers and the police too.
Apparently he is "trained to UK standards for the management of sporting events," whatever that means.
29-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Find Reply
alf885 Offline

Threads: 46
Am I right in thinking it was always the Chief Con who acted as Chief Marshal up until the previous Chief removed the policing of the races?

alf
29-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Website Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Question, Is the Chief Marshals job a paid post, if so the Chief Constable is moonlighting, against the law for a police officer to take a second job, could be wrong. Anyway good luck to him
29-04-2008, 06:02 PM
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
You are correct Alf at the marshalls suppers in the past we were addressed by head marshall his name i cant remember but he made us laugh at the old Douglas hotel on Douglas Head but Smithy was the best for entertaining ussmiliesmiliesmilie
Roll on Kells 2010
29-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Find Reply
Fitz Offline
Fitzjnr

No FC it is not a paid job.
29-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Find Reply
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12
So the Blow Dried Merseybeat movie star has gone.

He will remember me well as a Rottweiler infected with rabies when he was a DS at Hoylake for threatening me with a charge of wasting Police time for reporting a bent ex cop to him for serious multiple fraud and theft offences involving tens of thousands of pounds.

But his CC thought different and after I complained direct to the top immediately instructed a first class DCI and DS from a different division to investigate my complaint and uncovered far more than I was alleging which resulted in a conviction and prison sentence after the miscreant changed his plea to guilty after three days half way through his trial.

Boy did I enjoy my time in the witness box ripping the ex cops silks arguments to pieces.

So sue me if I'm wrong, I'm waiting.
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
29-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Find Reply
oggy Offline

Threads: 2
Good to here you gave no favours Tom one law for all.
29-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Fitz Wrote:No FC it is not a paid job.

Roger Hirst was full time and employed by the ACU EVENTS Ltd
30-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Fitz Offline
Fitzjnr

The chief marshal has always been an honorary unpaid position and prior to Roger was the chief constable anyway.

You may want to check your info FC Tongue
30-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Find Reply
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39
FC Wrote:Roger Hirst was full time and employed by the ACU EVENTS Ltd

No he was not.

Paul
30-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Paul Phillips Wrote:

No he was not.

Paul

His own words on the radio, its my full time job????smilie

Well who was he employed by?????

Any truth in that the Clerk of the Coarse for the TT races at the S100 coarse has withdrawn his services over issues with the ACU and the safety of the starts and the Chief scrutineer for the TT will not be available for the race week
30-04-2008, 05:50 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

Roger was simply expressing the fact that he worked (voluntarily) a full week (more than, I think). He was not implying he was paid.
30-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Wantan Offline

Threads: 3
FC Wrote:
Paul Phillips Wrote:

No he was not.

Paul

Any truth in that the Clerk of the Coarse for the TT races at the S100 coarse has withdrawn his services over issues with the ACU and the safety of the starts and the Chief scrutineer for the TT will not be available for the race week

Blimey FC you're a ray of sunshine. Always looking on the brightside in your posts. Do you actually like the TT?

Anyway, I heard that due to ACU and S100 disputes that the whole course was having to be re-surfaced in alternately coloured stripes of tarmac to match the colours Eddie Nelson's face and Phil Taubman's van.

And I have it on good authority that part of Audi's deal to provide the course cars has resulted with sidecars having to be add and extra wheel to allow their famous "Quattro" system to be used.

Also, a DTL sniper was responsible for the Kennedy assassination as apparently he was against allowing 2 stroke machinery into the 1964 senior.
01-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40
Wantan Wrote:
FC Wrote:
Paul Phillips Wrote:

No he was not.

Paul

Blimey FC you're a ray of sunshine. Always looking on the brightside in your posts. Do you actually like the TT?

Anyway, I heard that due to ACU and S100 disputes that the whole course was having to be re-surfaced in alternately coloured stripes of tarmac to match the colours Eddie Nelson's face and Phil Taubman's van.

And I have it on good authority that part of Audi's deal to provide the course cars has resulted with sidecars having to be add and extra wheel to allow their famous "Quattro" system to be used.

Also, a DTL sniper was responsible for the Kennedy assassination as apparently he was against allowing 2 stroke machinery into the 1964 senior.

I know who the Island's 'official sniper' was so I'll check on the Kennedy thing when I see him at the TT Wink

On the subject of re-surfacing the course I don't think it would look good in puce...Tongue
01-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Website Find Reply