MGP technicial stuff please read
cargo
Unregistered

MGP technicial stuff please read
I've been informed that the following rule from the ACU handbook will strictly be enforced at this years Manx GP

"Exhaust Pipes
1. The end of the exhaust pipe or pipes must not project beyond any part of the vehicle or its bodywork. Exhaust gases must not be discharged so as to raise dust or foul the tyres or brakes, or inconvenience a following rider. The end of the exhaust pipe for a minimum distance of 30mm must be horizontal and parallel (within a + or -10 degree tolerance) to the fore and aft centre line of the machine. It must not extend beyond a line drawn at a vertical tangent to the rear edge of the motorcycle rear tyre."

And I'd guess that it applies equally to the TT
06-05-2008, 09:50 AM
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
RE: MGP technicial stuff please read
cargo Wrote:I've been informed that the following rule from the ACU handbook will strictly be enforced at this years Manx GP

"Exhaust Pipes
1. The end of the exhaust pipe or pipes must not project beyond any part of the vehicle or its bodywork. Exhaust gases must not be discharged so as to raise dust or foul the tyres or brakes, or inconvenience a following rider. The end of the exhaust pipe for a minimum distance of 30mm must be horizontal and parallel (within a + or -10 degree tolerance) to the fore and aft centre line of the machine. It must not extend beyond a line drawn at a vertical tangent to the rear edge of the motorcycle rear tyre."

And I'd guess that it applies equally to the TT

So this year's hobby horse is . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Why emphasise that one?

Aren't they going to "strictly enforce" any of the other rules from the ACU handbook then?

smilie
06-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

After reading through the ACU handbook I reckon scruts for the Manx will be starting about July sometime...............TT scruts started last month I seen the queue last Monday smilie

Protractors at dawn
06-05-2008, 10:17 AM
smokey125 Offline

Threads: 7
If you enforced every rule in the ACU handbook you could exclude every bike that's entered.
The ACU/FIM regs on bodywork would exclude every current 600 road bike!

As you said Larryd why this one?

Mind you on the plus side it I guess it will take out about 70% of the classic field so it will be easier to keep it at the sharp end. Tongue

I'll finish it one day!
07-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
As you may know you have to supply photos of classic bikes entered. One year they wrote back to me saying my exhaust didn't meet regs and suggesting I should fix it before arriving. I put a protractor on the photo and measured it, and as far as I could see I was spot on the limit. But knowing the wisdom of not arguing with scrutes I had the tailpiece modified. Sure enough there was a note on my scrutineering card to check the exhaust.

I've seen a few bikes with silencers pointing "illegally" upwards (modern ones, as it happens) and they have been commented on, but I've not seen one fail scrutineering yet.

Strikes me as a farly trivial rule TBH, I don't know why they are so bothered about it.
31-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Website Find Reply