tt on itv 4
its on now
Roll on Kells 2010
29-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Find Reply
nutty slack Offline

Threads: 9
RE: tt on itv 4
Thanx, already got my reminders on for the week ahead. Its on at 9 most nights I think, with next week doing highlights of the days racing.
29-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15
Today at 5pm (Uk time!) - a very good "History of the TT". Tonight at 9pm - TT2008 preview. Both ITV4,
Note for Duke and many others - these programmes, involving camera crews, directors, commentators, scriptwriters et al are TOTALLY FREE-TO-VIEW because they are done through a proper commercial organisation, who take the long view, not an all-too-common TT six inches in front of the nose one.
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
30-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Find Reply
Moan Moan Offline

Threads: 0
PeterCourtney Wrote:Today at 5pm (Uk time!) - a very good "History of the TT". Tonight at 9pm - TT2008 preview. Both ITV4,
Note for Duke and many others - these programmes, involving camera crews, directors, commentators, scriptwriters et al are TOTALLY FREE-TO-VIEW because they are done through a proper commercial organisation, who take the long view, not an all-too-common TT six inches in front of the nose one.

I hate that I have been turned into some sort of Duke apologist - but I have to respond to this drivel.
This History of the TT on ITV4, the one made by Isle of Man-based Greenlight (the company supplying video for TT Live), is it anything like the History of the TT DVD sold by Duke which was made by Greenlight and is, in fact, a longer version of the TV programme?
And TT: the Race That Time Forgot, the other ITV4 programme, doesn't it look suspiciously like TT: A Film Documentary, made by Duke and Greenlight in 2003, with director Andrew Stickland, who was also the director of another Duke/Greenlight production last year 'TT: Centenary Celebration' presented by Murray Walker?
when I say it looks suspiciously like it, I actually mean a heavily edited version of it which ignores DJ's crash - which the DVD doesn't.
"Note for Duke and many others - these programmes, involving camera crews, directors, commentators, scriptwriters et al are TOTALLY FREE-TO-VIEW because they are done through a proper commercial organisation, who take the long view, not an all-too-common TT six inches in front of the nose one."
And before you moan about having to pay for the DVDs, let's not forget these are programmes 'involving camera crews, directors, commentators, scriptwriters et al'.
Counting down the days to TT09!
(This post was last modified: 30-05-2008, 11:01 PM by Moan Moan.)
30-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

I think the insults are a little on the juvenile side, let alone unecessary....but anyway: I do not know, or care if these are the same as...or versions of....
They are both programmes being shown on national television channels, about the TT races, and are, in that form free.
DJ's crash is mentioned, but not gone into in depth, and as far as I am concerned, sad though it was, it only warrants a brief mention in terms of its importance to a fortnight's racing and practice, let alone an attempt to describe the history of the event in less than one hour.
I lost a few friends in the Island over the years, but have always been keener to see if any lessons can be learnt, and changes made, than to glorify their life or their death. In regard to DJ's crash, I see no evidence of any changes to try and prevent similar ones, just the usual bland 'misadventure' then nothing.
As for being a tool....you really are a head of me there, sonny!
30-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
I am enjoying ITV4'S coverage and i think we should thank them at least we are getting there with tv at one time we got nothing roll on 9pm tonightsmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Roll on Kells 2010
30-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Find Reply
Moan Moan Offline

Threads: 0
PeterCourtney Wrote:I think the insults are a little on the juvenile side, let alone unecessary....but anyway: I do not know, or care if these are the same as...or versions of....
They are both programmes being shown on national television channels, about the TT races, and are, in that form free.
DJ's crash is mentioned, but not gone into in depth, and as far as I am concerned, sad though it was, it only warrants a brief mention in terms of its importance to a fortnight's racing and practice, let alone an attempt to describe the history of the event in less than one hour.
I lost a few friends in the Island over the years, but have always been keener to see if any lessons can be learnt, and changes made, than to glorify their life or their death. In regard to DJ's crash, I see no evidence of any changes to try and prevent similar ones, just the usual bland 'misadventure' then nothing.
As for being a tool....you really are a head of me there, sonny!

You cite the programmes on ITV4 as an example to 'Duke and many others' of how to make programmes about the TT, but don't care that, in fact, they were originally made by Duke and Greenlight TV? So, you like the programmes, think Duke could learn from them, but don't care that Duke was actually involved in the original production?
I don't mind admitting you have confused me, or are you just embarrassed you have made a mistake and rather than being contrite and accepting the point you have decided, rather childishly, to revert to 'yeah, well I don't care anyway.' What's next, sticking your tongue out and saying my mum smells?
Given today's tragic loss, I don't wish to get into any sort of conversation about DJ's accident, especially not with someone who wants to trivialise it, but I will say the death of a multiple TT winner in a programme about the year in which he lost his life - I was referring to the TT: the race that time forgot/TT: A Film documentary not History of the TT - does warrant more than a brief mention, as you suggest, although I would cede the point that in a complete history of the event it would not take as much prominence as it would in a programme purely about one year in the event's history.
I would also take issue with your claim nothing was learned from the accident - perhaps there are other forum members who would like to post their views on this, although perhaps in a few days, after a decent period of respect.
Counting down the days to TT09!
30-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Just a quick post to say that I had no idea at the time of posting DJ's mum had died. I had the pleasure and honour of sharing a garage with TJ one year, and wept with laughter when many years later he made the President's speech at the TTRA dinner. A great motorcycling family.
31-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Find Reply