Prohibited Areas
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
Prohibited Areas
Having just watched the ITV4 coverage of the Superbike Race, I can't understand all the whinging that went on beforehand about there being "nowhere worthwhile to watch from any more".

It all looked quite sensible to me, and "sensible" is not a word that I would ever have anticipated using in connection with the ACU.

Mind you, if I ever use it again in that context, then Pigfly
31-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

RE: Prohibited Areas
[Image: QuarryB.jpg]
31-05-2008, 10:37 PM
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63
I have to agree with you there, Larry. I have yet to see a prohibited area that I feel has not been justifiably designated as one.
31-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

[Image: tt08013.jpg]
31-05-2008, 10:42 PM
FC
Unregistered

Some restricted areas were open today
31-05-2008, 10:45 PM
cargo
Unregistered

I can think of at least one place where the prohibited area is not big enough

[Image: redhat.jpg]
01-06-2008, 05:22 AM
ancient Offline

Threads: 4
pit lane ? cargo
01-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

cargo Wrote:I can think of at least one place where the prohibited area is not big enough

I have to agree with you on that, Cargo. Placing your head actually on the course (even if you are "local" and wearing a red hat) should be awarded a prohibited sign (very hard and from a considerable height).

Note to self: Am I becoming too agreeable?smilie

By the way, those are very nice photos, Colin. Are there some more comments to go with them?
01-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

[Image: foster.jpg]
01-06-2008, 12:36 PM
John Foster Offline

That's prohibited, Colin!
02-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Find Reply
oatssi Offline

Threads: 1
Heard a good one yesterday. If the offical line is that there are only 3-4 additional prohibited areas, are they counting the Grandstand to Ramsey as 1?
PaddockGossip.com
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2008, 02:24 AM by oatssi.)
02-06-2008, 01:18 AM
Website Find Reply
David Griffiths Offline

Threads: 19
larryd Wrote:Having just watched the ITV4 coverage of the Superbike Race, I can't understand all the whinging that went on beforehand about there being "nowhere worthwhile to watch from any more".

It all looked quite sensible to me, and "sensible" is not a word that I would ever have anticipated using in connection with the ACU.

Looking at the TV pictures on Saturday night it was obvious that many, many areas that were prohibited during practice week became - as if by magic - unprohibited on race day! Being very charitable, perhaps this was an example of common sense prevailing?

There are a lot of inconsistencies to address before next year. For example, on Friday night I was at the Railway in Union Mills. Five minutes before the road was due to close the spectators were told that most would have to find another vantage point to watch from as the rope would be going across the front of the pub when the roads closed. This is not an area that is in the line of fire, and there was a great deal of anger vented from many people who had seemingly watched there for years. Yet just down the road on the left hander by the shop, there is an air fence, indicating an area that has been identified (rightly I would say) as a potential hazard. Yet directly behind this air fence was a crowd of about 50 spectators!!
03-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

"There are a lot of inconsistencies"

Ain't that the truth David

The only road race that the ACU have any experience of is the TT course.
And as Eddie Nelson himself admitted to me some time ago "I know nothing about Irish road races"

Perhaps it's time the ACU sought some real expert advice on road racing from the people who invented it.......MCUI

I'll nominate Larry and Harris for TT road inspection commitee Pigfly
03-06-2008, 03:14 PM
John Foster Offline

cargo Wrote:"There are a lot of inconsistencies"

Ain't that the truth David

The only road race that the ACU have any experience of is the TT course.
And as Eddie Nelson himself admitted to me some time ago "I know nothing about Irish road races"

Perhaps it's time the ACU sought some real expert advice on road racing from the people who invented it.......MCUI

I'll nominate Larry and Harris for TT road inspection commitee Pigfly

That's a bit unkind.....................just because Larry has been inspecting a certain road surface rather closely?
03-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26
David Griffiths Wrote:
larryd Wrote:Having just watched the ITV4 coverage of the Superbike Race, I can't understand all the whinging that went on beforehand about there being "nowhere worthwhile to watch from any more".

Looking at the TV pictures on Saturday night it was obvious that many, many areas that were prohibited during practice week became - as if by magic - unprohibited on race day! Being very charitable, perhaps this was an example of common sense prevailing?

There are a lot of inconsistencies to address before next year. For example, on Friday night I was at the Railway in Union Mills. Five minutes before the road was due to close the spectators were told that most would have to find another vantage point to watch from as the rope would be going across the front of the pub when the roads closed. This is not an area that is in the line of fire, and there was a great deal of anger vented from many people who had seemingly watched there for years. Yet just down the road on the left hander by the shop, there is an air fence, indicating an area that has been identified (rightly I would say) as a potential hazard. Yet directly behind this air fence was a crowd of about 50 spectators!!

I too have noticed several areas which were posted as prohibited,but, as if by magic,the signs have disappeared and spectators are back.The marshals have maps of these areas and they have to check that all signs are in place.Have the maps changed overnight?Could it be that pressure from visitors has made the ACU change their minds on some areas? I would like answers, and I wonder if the ACU's insurers are aware that these prohibitions do not appear to being adhered to.After all,so much fuss has been made with regard to safety,that the least they can do is stick to the rules.They have stuck to them with regard to Bruce Anstey's bike,and that has nothing to do with safety.I am taking careful note of these areas.Of course,it could be that the signs were placed wrongly if the maps were wrong!
03-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Find Reply
Ben Oates Offline

Threads: 2
Any clues as to which areas were prohibited but no longer appear to be prohibited?
03-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26
Ben Oates Wrote:Any clues as to which areas were prohibited but no longer appear to be prohibited?

The approach to Sulby Bridge for starters,on the left.The sign had been turned upside down and prior to the race starting on Saturday morning,loads of people had taken up their places there.Several of the signs had disappeared,as there were plenty there during practice
03-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Find Reply
steve-e Offline

Threads: 6
I'm just hoping the signs hadn't been nicked.
SteveEnglish
03-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Website Find Reply
samwise Offline

Threads: 4
steve-e Wrote:I'm just hoping the signs hadn't been nicked.

If the signs should still be there, then racing shouldn't start until they have been replaced - this then leads to the assumption that they have been removed by the organisers.
03-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Website Find Reply
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
samwise Wrote:
steve-e Wrote:I'm just hoping the signs hadn't been nicked.

If the signs should still be there, then racing shouldn't start until they have been replaced - this then leads to the assumption that they have been removed by the organisers.

Point taken, but how would one know whether the signs were removed by the Powers-that-be or nicked?

Hhmmm......
....scone out to take photos!
03-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Find Reply