Camera Flash
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
Camera Flash
Listening to the Superstock race on steam radio, I'm once again hearing the old chestnut about "cover your camera flash to avoid distracting the riders".

I've got my own opinions about this, but would appreciate comment, from current and past riders only please, as to the need for this.
02-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Find Reply
Phil.M. Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
RE: Camera Flash
I never found it to be a problem at all, always too busy concentrating on the road not the surrounding countryside !
Phil past rider
02-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Find Reply
Fitz Offline
Fitzjnr

Threads: 15
Never was a problem for me either Larry although I was only the passenger.

I have been to various riders forums and non of the riders said it was a problem. In fact the late Tommy 'Spook' Clucas once joked that he was glad someone took his picture.

From a marshals standpoint we really don't chase people anymore and we are not asked to, however it does come down to common sense. If it is really dark at say Glen Helen and the flash is right in someones face then the person may be asked not to use it, but generally the riders don't even see it.

Regards

Fitz - Ex-passenger and DSM Ballacraine
02-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Find Reply
kmckay Offline

Threads: 1
Only bothers me if it's smack in your face like at the Gooseneck...

otherwise no prob.
Ramsey, IoM
02-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Find Reply
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14
It never bothered me either, people never took photos of me Bonk although I would imagine it could distract if it happened to be at the right(or wrong) angle.
Russ Henley ex rider
Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
02-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Website Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Don't bother me either

And before all you comedians say it I will

Nobody ever takes my picture so how the heck would I know
02-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Ben Oates Offline

Threads: 2
Surely best to have them off rather than on and to regularly advise the public?

On another note, last Friday there was a photographer (who appeared to have accreditation) in the field to the right of the residence on the exit at Hillberry. He wasn't in (what we deemed) a particularly dangerous position but there is a chance he shouldn't have been there.

During the middle of the Superbike/600 practice a senior marshal took it upon herself to walk up the road with another marshal under a stationary yellow flag. She then stood in front of the bales and foam barrier right on the exit of the apex for about 5 minutes advising this guy to move on. Anyone who has spectated at Hillberry will know just how fast this corner is. Not only did she put herself in danger beyond belief but this must have been a hell of a distraction for the passing riders. I was mad.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2008, 08:48 PM by Ben Oates.)
02-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Find Reply
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141
NEVER have i seen a flash from a camera, the Late Richard Britton, told me on variuos occassions, that he never seen one, it never botherd him, prob cos he was going so fast!, now i was out taking pics the other night, there was a strong sun, and the marshalls in the area were whistling and whistling at the people on the other side of the rd, about the flashes!, now picture this for yourself, iyt was at Ballaugh bridge, the people were on the inside of the track, under/behind the trees, NOW can anyone tell me, HOW was this going to affect a rider?????, no jokes, think about it, NEVER could have a rider see a flash in the strong sun. to me it is beyond a joke, let some rider tell us, when a flash has affected him/her
02-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Website Find Reply
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
cargo Wrote:Don't bother me either

I think I might have some of you.....smilie

Larry should we post them?

Bsmilie
....scone out to take photos!
02-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
boakesey Wrote:

I think I might have some of you.....smilie

Larry should we post them?

Bsmilie

Don't think they'd be as entertaining as mine, Liz, but I suppose we don't want the lad to feel left out . . . . . smilie
02-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Find Reply
Shitoffa Shovel Offline

Threads: 5
I was lucky enough to compete in 2 TTs as a passenger and was more concerned about getting my head out of the draft than looking out for people using flash photography... but I did have the best trainer in the game for the IOM, Mr Nick Roche.

Regards

SS,,,,,,,,
It’s strange that men should take up crime when there are so many legal ways to be dishonest. …
02-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
Another point is, why use the flash at all?
The built in flash on most cameras will only reach from 4.5 to 6 metres at most (15 to 20 ft).
Why not save your battery and the angst, just turn it off.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
03-06-2008, 02:18 AM
Find Reply
ancient Offline

Threads: 4
don stop bringing common (or not so common)sense into it,,,,
03-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Find Reply
samwise Offline

Threads: 4
Is it not better to say no flashes, than to allow them and someone to bring along a hulking big one, or for that one obscure instance where a flash does cause a problem?
03-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Website Find Reply
smokey125 Offline

Threads: 7
Never bothered me as a rider. Used to annoy me up as a spectator nothing worse than having someone keep taking pictures right next to you. At that range it did dazzle.

I'll finish it one day!
03-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Find Reply
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14
Although it never bothered me and from the general repiles in this post it doesn't seem to have bothered any other riders I do agree with samwise that it would be better to leave them off than wait until it has distracted a rider, be too late then?
Russ
Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
03-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Website Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50

Never bothered me unless its straight in your face, then you see stars for a while. Maybe its more a problem in dark areas of the course.

Cargo I thought you always seen a few flashes ... as they got off more than one shot lol
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
03-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

I think The Bag is on the right track here.

Lets just let it be known that camera flashes should be switched off or covered but the marshals do NOT need to make a huge issue of it blowings whistles and shouting etc etc.
03-06-2008, 06:51 PM