Tony Scott speaks out
FC
Unregistered

Tony Scott speaks out
Retired leading tuner spoke out on Radio TT today, Mr Tony Scott says he has warned the Officials at the TT on several occasions that it was not safe to expect riders to do two 600cc races at the TT using standard parts in the engines. He Goes on to say that its ok for the Top teams as they have spare tuned engines but to expect privateer to compete at the same level is dam right dangerous. To Date Mr Scott says the officials have ignored his advice.
03-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Tony Scott speaks out
Why should they even listen to him let alone take his advice.

We all know they know best because they say so.
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
03-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Find Reply
Boris Offline

Threads: 2
i personaly think if any members of the TT technical commitee dont listen to tony scott's advice then there bloody idiots , a man with his experience in building race engines . i think alot of the problem stems from all this superbike,sport,stock bloody shopping bikes (production based) bring back pure racing gp bikes made for the job . You accepted on a TZ or RS engine components needed changing at short milages because its a race engine. i think he's totaly correct saying your pushing it to run a 600 flat out in the TT enviroment for 2 races and probably some practice , if youve not got alot of funds theres a good chance your going to do this and risk your neck if it throws a rod/valve etc. I'm sure he mentioned the TT has diferent regs to the NW200 or Ulster GP so taz may have put in an engine made to them specs. he also said the TT regs allow no tolerance to the cam size . well if this is true its madness , anyone involved in engineering nows you cant make any componet without a tolerance of some kind . Even if its cam lift there must still be a tolerance .
All seems madness to me unless the engines are inspected before the race and sealed somehow . At this level of racing this problem realy shouldnt be happening.smilie
03-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Website Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

A well known rider was killed a couple of years and the unofficial cause was that the engine had done to many miles and advice from the tuner was ignored.
The Americans have the right idea in 600 racing and thats formular extreme, and the parts/spares to build these bikes are readilly available, so why not listen to an expert and go down the same path. The TT is unlike any other race so should have its own rules and made with the advice of those that know what they are doing and not by those that dont, full stop.
What would happen if a rider was killed on an illegal bike and his family took legal action agaist those that built it.
03-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Shitoffa Shovel Offline

Threads: 5
IMHO, ever since the introduction of the 600 junior or F2 sidecars which if you check the records has been with us for quite a while now, their has always been concerns about the durability of engine conponents when used at the IOM TT.

And when such statements from Mr Scott state ;
Quote:was not safe to expect riders to do two 600cc races at the TT using standard parts in the engines.
He certainly isn't talking about after market camshafts.

I think what he is trying to say is how many 'Blown' engines from classes using 600cc engines have caused fatal accidents since their use at the IOM TT ?,,,,,,,,another story in its self perhaps .

Regards

SS,,,,,,,,,,,,Sad
It’s strange that men should take up crime when there are so many legal ways to be dishonest. …
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2008, 11:42 PM by Shitoffa Shovel.)
03-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Listen to Radio TT in the morning Charly Williams will be asking questions to a surprise technical expert, from what I hear it should be worth tuning in to 1368 at 7-30am
03-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Shaun Harris Offline

Threads: 48
TONY SCOTT should be listened to!

And where is the safety in having guys racing in the morning, and then an hour or so later, that is not the safest way to go racing at a track like the TT

Just listen to CAM and his interview after the 1000 prod race, he was emotionally spent, ( And bloody well earned) as his result in the 600 race showed!
I can fix anything!
03-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Was ther not a seven lap rule for riders at one time?
04-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Stella Offline

Threads: 58
I thought seeing that photo of Steve taken by Stephen Davison spoke volumes for what a rider goes through..both physically and emotionally

http://www.realroadracing.com/forum/view...php?t=1496
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2008, 12:13 AM by Stella.)
04-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Find Reply
Shaun Harris Offline

Stella Wrote:I thought seeing that photo of Steve taken by Stephen Davison spoke volumes for what a rider goes through..both physically and emotionally

http://www.realroadracing.com/forum/view...php?t=1496

Therev ya go, and that is the face of a very experienced racer
I can fix anything!
04-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Is Tony Scott telling me/us that a standard engine bulit with standard parts is incapable of doing two four laps races plus practise?

Assuming that the number of practise laps is the same as total race laps then I'm looking at my brand new CBR600 going bang at 600 miles ?

Somehow I think Mr Honda builds a better engine than that.
04-06-2008, 12:54 AM
Shaun Harris Offline

cargo Wrote:Is Tony Scott telling me/us that a standard engine bulit with standard parts is incapable of doing two four laps races plus practise?

Assuming that the number of practise laps is the same as total race laps then I'm looking at my brand new CBR600 going bang at 600 miles ?

Somehow I think Mr Honda builds a better engine than that.

Toony Scott is a professional engine builder, and what he says, is TRUTH and Fact.

Those more standard motors, are NOT going to be as reliable as a factory supported team motor

They REV to the MAX, from the start line to the start line, for all those miles

Not healthy
I can fix anything!
04-06-2008, 01:10 AM
Find Reply
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12
FC Wrote:Was ther not a seven lap rule for riders at one time?

Don't think so Colin I regularly did nine laps on Fridays, three in the 125 and six in the Senior.

Mind you the 125 was a nice warm uo for the Senior and not like fighting todays machines, on the other hand they were longer races time wise.

The Senior was also ran as Eight laps years ago.

And don't forget 75/76 ran ten lap production races for 250s. 500s and 750s Le Man massed start with al classes racing at the same time after a five minute intervals between classes, two riders doing five laps each.
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2008, 08:20 AM by Tom Loughridge.)
04-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

this is an important point for me very shortly I will be buying a 600 for the Manx.............

Are you telling me that a brand new 600 straight from the showroom with 0 miles on it will only last 600 miles on the TT course before it goes bang ?

Seems to me that the regs were published months ago and the fact that there would be 2 600 races was known sometime last year so engine builders should have known to build an engine to last 2 races plus practise..

And even the most lowly backmarker at the Manx has a spare ???
Or this one certainly does

Funny how in the F1 cars they have to build engines that last two meetings. ? And largely they seem to manage.

But I'm still perplexed as to how Mr Scottt can say the a 600 engine built with standard parts will only last 600 miles............

Confused ????? I am
04-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Stella Offline

Threads: 58
I thought i heard Steve P saying that Hutchy had the quicker engine as more was expected of him and Steve had the lesser of the two engines ?

Hope all goes well today and thanks to all who promised updates as i away for the day smilie
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
04-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Stella Wrote:I thought i heard Steve P saying that Hutchy had the quicker engine as more was expected of him and Steve had the lesser of the two engines ?

Hope all goes well today and thanks to all who promised updates as i away for the day smilie

He said he gave Hutchy the faster new engine and he used Hutchies old engine from 07
04-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Boris Offline

Threads: 2
you gota remember that running an engine in a race enviroment is far more stressfull than what it would do as a road bike . This also goes for the bike as a whole . Otherwise for a MOT (sorry thats the yearly vehicle test you iom lot dont have to put up with ) you'd have to have all your bolts lockwired etc. otherwise you could say having a mot certificate is enough to race with and you dont need scrutineering ! A race bike is flat out all the time / full braking all the time you cant do that going to tesco's , well not all the time anyhow smilie
04-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Website Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
Lord knows how I managed to do all those years running the same engine for a full season plus MGP practice and 1-2 x 6 lap races. Perhaps they built them more reliable then.

Or perhaps I knew that if you tune an engine to the hilt it won't last long before it goes bang, and chose to go for a slightly more modest tune in deference to running costs.

It's futile to complain about the rules when the solution is already in your hands.
04-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Website Find Reply
spannerman Offline

Threads: 28
It happend to us 5 years ago, Cap was keeping up with Joey for one lap,when the R6 camshaft went bang at the Bungalow, new bike only did a few practice laps, Believe me they do go.
04-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
I carn't help feeling that this is all because one of his tuned engines was found to be illegal. Lets be honest about this, if you tune your engines to the full then they will not last long... that is not rocket science. If you are told by a tuner that the motor needs an over hall at a certain distance its down to the riders to comply with the tuners instructions not the technical committee. These are highly tuned motors and can go wrong, if the race is 4 or 6 laps the riders need to know from the tuners when to check the engines. We had three when we did the TT sidecar races, one highly tuned - went bang after two laps - one not so highly tuned - went a bit iffy and the last bog standard with only a few mods. They can all go at any time ... this seems like sour grapes to me.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
04-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Find Reply