Tony Scott speaks out
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Tony Scott speaks out
DCLUCIE Wrote:I carn't help feeling that this is all because one of his tuned engines was found to be illegal. Lets be honest about this, if you tune your engines to the full then they will not last long... that is not rocket science. If you are told by a tuner that the motor needs an over hall at a certain distance its down to the riders to comply with the tuners instructions not the technical committee. These are highly tuned motors and can go wrong, if the race is 4 or 6 laps the riders need to know from the tuners when to check the engines. We had three when we did the TT sidecar races, one highly tuned - went bang after two laps - one not so highly tuned - went a bit iffy and the last bog standard with only a few mods. They can all go at any time ... this seems like sour grapes to me.

I think that tony scott is talking about the top teams in the main and there engines will have been worked on production race or not. its a well used saying it was going really well just before it blew up, well thats what some of the clever people do they build engines with loose tolerances on certain parts but its a fine line between success and failier this is why i think he is concerned.
04-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

the 06R6 standard engine would not complete a 4 lap race at the TT, the cam chain used to break up
05-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Hans Offline

Threads: 1
FC Wrote:the 06R6 standard engine would not complete a 4 lap race at the TT, the cam chain used to break up

spoke to moly last year in the padock and that is exactly what he said. Last year for example he used an old engine because the new engines are too unreliable. I thought that quite interesting....
05-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Find Reply
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39
Tony Scott has been able to feedback to the TT Race Organisers over the regulations as have many other engine builders and all manufacturers. All bar Tony Scott are comfortable with the regulations for Supersport 600 at the TT and the two races.

The idea that Tony Scott's comments are ignored is ridiculous, but the race organisers have a responsibility to gather together the opinions of all relative individuals and groups, not just one before making decisions.

It is also worth pointing out that Tony Scott's comments on Radio TT that Bruce Anstey's 600cc bike was only illegal at the TT is completely untrue. It would also be illegal at the North West 200 and Ulster Grand Prix for instance.

Best wishes

Paul
08-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Was Steve Platers 2008 Yamaha R6 legal for the first 600 race having an 07 engine in a 2008 bike Steves own words.
We would all like to know the answer to this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.9.7 PARTS AND PRODUCT UPDATE
Any change in the specifications of the following parts of a FIM homologated
motorcycle will require a new homologation of the model:
• Crankcase
• Cylinder
• Cylinder head
• Crankshaft, connecting rods
• Camshafts, valves
• Carburation instruments
• Frame: main dimensions [in relation to wheelbase, caster, steering
head angle, relative location of the swing-arm, relative location of rear
shock absorber(s) and linkages]
• New range of engine prefix numbers
• New range of frame prefix numbers
08-06-2008, 11:20 PM
FC
Unregistered

While your in the mood Paul and before you take a long earned rest any chance of anyone giving me a answer to my question regarding Steves bike (taking nothing away from his win) Just need to know how closely the rules are adhered too
09-06-2008, 03:22 PM
FC
Unregistered

09-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Stella Offline

Threads: 58
Oh naughty ...but it did make me smile ...

Am i really that old ? smilie.......smilie.....
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
09-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Find Reply
Chris Thackeray Offline

Threads: 28
Stella Wrote:Oh naughty ...but it did make me smile ...

Am i really that old ? smilie.......smilie.....

I like the line "talking is cheap people follow like sheep"

Classic tune tho.
09-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Website Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

I BET I DONT GET A ANSWER, MAYBE ITS TRUTH AND THEY JUST WANTED TO SHARE THE SWEETS OUT WITH YAMAHA THIS YEAR.
10-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39
Wow - I didn't realise I was on an SLA replying to your post Colin. I don't know the answer, but I will endeavor to find it out.

Paul
11-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Thanks Paul that why I asked the question on an open forum, I know its not your remit but when answers are not given fron another place one has to ask. And as I said its nothing against Steve he rode well, But a lot of people are asking the question
12-06-2008, 07:47 PM
sidewayssid Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
WELL, race engines're always gonna blow sometime.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it is the maxim for most amateur racers, which covers most of the field.

The TT is extreme in its maximum speed demands, and is surely the only place apart from LeMans and Thruxton-style endurance meetings, where engineering is subjected to such punishment, for so long.

I do not quite understand what Tony Scott expects the organisers to do, however. Maybe his quotation was taken a wee bit out of context and abridged when repeated here?

For myself, I fully understand the risks of doing a few races on one engine without rebuilding and changing highly stressed components.
I also happily climb aboard old ( and new ) aeroplanes which have just flown thousands of miles without rebuilding of their engines........

Guess when they blow, they blow; usually your'e the last one to know.
14-06-2008, 04:31 AM
Find Reply