Press Release from IOM Police regarding driving standards
ALP Offline

Threads: 2
Press Release from IOM Police regarding driving standards
This press release was issued by the IOM Police this evening. The contents are self explanitory, and I have to admit having driven over the mountain quite a few times this fortnight, the manner of riding by some people leaves a lot to be desired. Some of them them must have forgotton to pack their brain before they left home to come over here.

Quote:Time and date of issue: 2200 hrs 5th June 2008

There have been a number of serious road traffic collisions on the Island during the TT period which are causing concern for the Police. Chief Inspector Peter Young who is in charge of the road policing function for TT said:-

“I cannot comment about any individual collision; however it is clear from the ongoing investigations that there is a common thread running through a number of the collisions.

A small proportion of motorcyclist are treating the roads of the island as a race track, they are travelling at high speed and very close to the machine in front. The riders are not allowing for any deviation or unexpected slowing down of the other machines. This is resulting in faster moving machines hitting the rear of slower machines bringing both riders off.

The speed and distance behind other machines, that some people are riding, is extremely dangerous, and can have horrendous consequences.

I would remind every rider that we want them to enjoy their stay on the Island, however we are enforcing speed limits and prosecuting those who are guilty of dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention. It is imperative that every road user rides safely and considers that rider ahead may slow down or move position.

I would ask all those who choose to take a risk and ride at high speed to think about how their, or another innocent rider’s family, children, friends and colleagues would be effected by their death or how receiving horrendous injuries would impact on the future life of everyone who knows them.

As a final work I would ask everyone to remember that they are riding on public roads. Please treat them with respect so they are able to return in the future”.
05-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Find Reply
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
RE: Press Release from IOM Police regarding driving standards
Coming back from Peel this evening, I was surprised not to see scrape marks down the side of my motor due to idiots cutting in REALLY close in their haste to overtake.

I always keep an eye out for bikes - especially over TT / MGP fortnight - and keep well over to the left to leave them as much room to get past me, but some of the riders this year are appalling - much worse that in previous years.

Still, it seems that some people seem to think that "rules" only apply to other people and that speed limits are made up by killjoys, out to spoil their fun. They're not. Speed limits (especially in built up areas) are there for a bloomin' good reason and unlike the adjacent island, we do still have large stretches of deregulated roads where you can open her up and have a blast, subject to the road conditions of course!

Unfortunately, I doubt if this little rant-ette of mine will make one iota of difference, as the vast majority of you good folks on this board come across as a pretty sensible bunch - yes, even Cargo and the Ballacraine / Gorse Lea mobs LOL !!!

It's the silly idiots out there on the roads that should be reading this - not you lot!

Ah well, time for bed methinks.....
....scone out to take photos!
05-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Find Reply
Shaun Harris Offline

Threads: 48
It is these people that are KILLING the TT off, NO ONE ELSE, bloody idiots who think they can do what ever they want to on the road.

I actually hate being at the TT and driving around on the roads, as the Bike riders are are real pain in the bottom to get anywhere, they all push in and think all is good

well how about all the local people that they 'pee' off, who get together after and TRY to get it all stopped

SORRY to the sensible people, but your brothers are killing this sport off
I can fix anything!
06-06-2008, 03:38 AM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63
The TT will be wiped out by the lemmings. These brainless idiots think that they can crash any time - then press "restart" - as they do on their PS2.

How long will it be before bikes are banned from the Course when the roads are open during TT Fortnight?
06-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Its not just the bikes

[Image: madsunday.jpg]
06-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Chris Thackeray Offline

Threads: 28
Looking at that picture FC wish I was there.......with mybike.....mind I always ride within my limits.
06-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Website Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26
I have to agree with you all.There don't appear to be as many bikes here as last year,but the riding standards of some are appalling.They are overtaking cars on totally blind bends,through Laurel Bank/Glen Helen and many more.I really don't understand their problem,why don't they take their aggression out at a track day---there have been several at Jurby airfield this week--then they could still ride fast but safe over the mountain.Nobody thinks they are clever except themselves. The police appear to be doing everything they can to try and help keep the roads safe,but they can't be on every corner.Is is a good job that many of the locals stay home during TT fortnight, as so many of them have a habit of crossing double white lines on blind corners, hence the accident rate could be far higher.Quite frankly, I will be glad when the biking moron element have gone homesmilie
06-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Find Reply
mickm Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
I personally have stopped coming to the tt solely because of the idiots, I always felt I was living on borrowed time, my mate got hit head on one year (by a bike) and I have lost count of the number of bikers that have jumped off in front of me, now sadly its just the radio. ps what a race today.
06-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Find Reply
Wilddog Offline

Threads: 1
I must admit that I haven't bothered taking a bike out in TT week for years, they're better left in the garage.
I met five lads from across that were staying with the brother in law they all brought bikes with them, went out for a spin once then left them parked up due to the lunatic element.
The idiots on the road will spoil it for everyone else, all they're doing is giving the anti TT brigade more ammunition.
06-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

They are the biking equivalent of football hooligans.
I hear that one, who was pulled up for doing over 90 through a village, argued that there were no speed limits here and he could go as fast as he liked, anywhere.
07-06-2008, 10:17 AM
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
Just been watching FCs video from Laurel Bank (posted elsewhere) and it just exemplifies the lunacy shown by SOME riders this year (& every year).

Still it's a shame that the majority get the blame for the minority, just as with other sports/activities etc..
....scone out to take photos!
07-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

07-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
Not wishing to condone bad riding, but this is nothing new. People have been riding like tw*ts for years at the TT on open roads, most of them get away with it but some don't. Every year.

I think we are all getting a teeny bit brainwashed about the safety culture that is permeating our society. It's already colouring how the races are run and putting restrictions on what we can do on track, it's responsible for the rash of speed cameras that blight our roads and if we let it, it'll gradually legislate us off the road and put our racing behind foam-lined short circuits.

The guys doing those moves aren't going to live forever, but then who is?
07-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

This isn't a health and safety over-reaction, it's about louts killing innocent people, at least potentially. There is no excuse whatsoever for a great deal of very bad riding and they should be banned and have their bikes confiscated.
People who come here to enjoy some fast riding on the mountain, and who respect others right to be on the roads, are very welcome.
Certainly some of them make mistakes and, sadly, come to grief, but this is not about mistakes, it's about arrogant, hooligan behaviour with disastrous consequences not always to themselves.
07-06-2008, 02:30 PM