Home Again
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Home Again
I jumped Island on the "Viking" during the Senior Race and have just arrived home following what, in my opinion, was an excellent TT Festival.

At my age I thought I had seen the best TTs iof those Golden Days but I am sitting here telling my family all the good things about this years TT, the racing, the friends I met, the events allied to the racing and even the weather.

The racing was at its best and I even watched the sidecars this year, Helen........Watching one race at governors then the second race at Crosby showed the two aspects of two-up racing and I must admit the fear I felt after seeing them bumping and boring down Bray Hill a couple of years ago was put to the back of my mind. However I was glad to have the new Stalag-style fence at Crosby between me and Moly and his pals !!

The EMP bus tour was great and Roy and Dave re-kindled my interest in s/cs....

I was happy I was able to say some good things about the TT on Manx Radio and 3FM and have a picture of John McGuinness and me on ScarletFMs listeners board.

I have no doubt that, all things being equal I will be back in 2009, and to hell with the expense. (Yes it was a bit over the top this year in certain areas, but if you know where to eat well for a few bob and get to quality functions, one can balance out the costings)

Give Paul P and his team time, they are getting it right !!

I am now ready to sleep after a long day but still feel on a high.

Hope you all feel as I feel tonight-------"2008 was great" !!

PS I haven't stayed for the mini-TT, I am not so sure about the concept yet, but still pleased that, at least, we have two-strokes back on the island. They should be on the big course but on Billown we can see and hear them for 12 laps per race !

Finally I would like to congratulate Carl Rennie and his team for some good results considering the major problems they have encountered this year. If there is an award for "perserverance under duress", surely PRF should get it !
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
06-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Website Find Reply
alf885 Offline

Threads: 46
RE: Home Again
I couldn't agree with you more Ian. I thought that 2008 was a superb TT. Alot of people seem to have been drawing their knives prior to the event in the hope of attacking the organisers et al.

The prohibited/restricted areas debate raged on but to be fair I felt it wasn't as bad as I'd expected. On the whole, with a few exceptions, the "verboten" sections were sensible and logical.

The racing was first class and thankfully there were fewer serious incidents. They even completed the programme to time.

I met up with loads of old friends and made some new ones, the atmosphere was a joy and special thanks to Helen, Cargo, Rosie and Malcolm for the Early Morning Practice Bus. I hope the bus runs next year because I've added it to my list of must do's.

The weather, remarkable, 3 years on the trot now with some glorious conditions. Global warming I guess, bring it on.

IOMSPC, the new CEO seems to have turned this company around. Bookings were confirmed earlier than usual, no last minute cancellations or changes of sailings . The general feel on board was far more professional than in previous years and talking to their staff there does seem to be a more optimisitic attitude among them. Next year the new vessel will reduce the journey time between Liverpool and Douglas with extra capacity. Keep up the good work.

Costs; fuel, beer, eating out all big price rises across the board which is inevitable I suppose. There's no reason to expect the IOM to be immune from the financial pressures we all face.

Another thread raises the issues of crowd numbers around the course. Well judging by the large attandance at Braddan Bridge on Wednesday I'd say that the event remains popular with both visitors and residents alike.

Roll on S100, MGP and TT 2009
07-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

RE: Home Again
Sorry to all who have found nothing to praise and only complaints all fortnight.. I have had a fabulous time, and now, tired but happy, I am about to set off for the "wee TT", on my beloved Billown.
The racing was magic... some of the best EVER. The weather was sometimes a bit cold (if you were marshalling in an exposed bit, anyway), but the craic and the crowds wonderful.
The only bad bit was the morons who came and terrorised everyone with their pathetically bad riding. A message to you.. DON'T COME BACK.. YOU'RE NOT WANTED.
Were the crowds down? I don't know, but there were certainly thousands of lovely people, from all over the world, and they were having a ball.
To all those who came, saw and enjoyed...Come back soon, you are very welcome.
To the moaners...It's been a really great TT.. stop the negativity... make constructive suggestions, RELAX and let yourself enjoy it.
07-06-2008, 10:27 AM