prohibited area thoughts
Phil Windrum Offline

Threads: 5
prohibited area thoughts
I was glad to hear there will be a review of prohibited areas. In my opinion many of the areas targeted this year were popular viewing sites which had the effect of squashing more people into other popular areas like Union Mills. If there is ever another year like 07 some places will be like sardines. I wonder if the review will relax some areas or just continue to add more?

Just wanted to make a few points. I should start by saying I didn't have any trouble watching this year. Generally we like to get off the beaten track and away from big crowds but this isn't everyones idea of fun being stuck in a field with a flask and sandwiches. I have been lucky enough to watch at most of the now prohibited areas but feel it's a shame that others in future may not be able to experience places like Black Dub and Ballacrye.

Firstly, the yellow tape was a bit confusing. In some areas it seemed to signify the area was totally prohibited while others it seemed to say you were OK as long as you were behind the tape. You really had to get out and look at the pictures on the signs. Perhaps these could be made more public next year ie put on websites etc?

Secondly, there were certainly more than a few new areas. Off the top of my head here's some possibly new or extended ones I spotted: Glen Lough, facing the Highlander, before Harold's farm at Cronk Breck, the Glen Helen section I'll come back to, all the way up Lambfell on the left, more at entrance to Kirk Michael?, Rhencullen, Alpine, Ballacob before Ballaugh, Ballacrye, Quarry bends, bit more at Gooseneck?, Joeys, various bits of mountain again I'll come back to, bigger areas at Windy Cnr, Creg and Signpost.

Some of these are probably fair enough. I know many felt the one at Signpost which lasted the whole way to Bedstead seemed OTT. At Ballcrye you can watch up to the jump but not after. It's unlikely that a bike in trouble over the jump would take a 90 degree left turn into the trees and perhaps a lucky few could still watch after the jump for a short distance?

The whole section from Ballacraine to Glen Helen has been decimated. Small areas remain at Laurel Bank and the last left before Glen Helen. Perhaps the DOTL were counting this as 1 prohibited area!? I also get the impression that in some areas it was just easier to keep going with the tape thru whole sections rather than leave some small places which looked OK.

There did seem to be differences between what was released as prohibited areas and what actually happened on the ground. We watched one day on mountain from above 33rd. The booklet said it was prohibited "on the right side of the road from the apex at Windy Cnr to Kate's cottage on the grass verge and hard standing areas IN FRONT OF THE WIRE FENCE." We noticed the signs were actually behind the fence and asked a marshall who said they were not allowing anyone to watch from that side the whole way down including straight bits and the inside of bends. I thought this may have been to ensure that you are always behind a wall up the mountain but saw other areas where this was not necessary.

Anyway, I've rambled on a bit! Don't get me wrong, I still love the place and hope to be back next year. Just sharing some thoughts!
09-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Find Reply
beepee Offline

Threads: 23
RE: prohibited area thoughts
Interesting that you mention Harolds,if you look at it logically his place should be restricted and the bank following ,they are right in the 'firing' line.I watched from several different locations this year and found the criteria for restricted/prohibited areas to be somewhat flexible to say the least.One particular spot is the right hander at the end of the Cronk y Voddy straight,very bumpy with a big wheelie and peeps sitting on the outside of the bend half way down the road.

I think it is an impossible task to make all potential accident spots no go but I do think a considerable amount can be done to enhance existing viewing areas,yes I know that means spending money but with no visitors....... no races.
09-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Find Reply
oatssi Offline

Threads: 1
I see the chief constable was on the radio today saying that he believed the prohibited areas were justified after Sammy Miller came off in the Parade. So a wobbler comes off in a Parade and the prohibited area is justified while a sidecar competitor hits an un-prohibited grass verge and that is fine? Dear oh dear me.

It's a bit like a rather silly woman PC running across the road at Parliment square and nearly getting hit by a sidecar. The solution there was to withdraw Police support during the racing. That is a bit like cutting your toe nails when you are thirsty. Surely the solution is to train police officers to be less stupid.

The extension of prohibited areas was a knee jerk reaction to a problem that didn't exist. The ramifications of which will hit the TT for a number of years. Only if you are ready for the old peoples home would you think that the prohbited area changes were all justified.

What is this rubbish with restricted areas for marshalls, press and sunglasses wearers? Either a position is safe (so open) or it is not (prohibited). A bike will not choose to hit someone in a bib rather than a t-shirt.

The best thing about all of this prohibited area stuff is that the decision makers have never actually sat on a hedge so don't actually know what could happen in the event of an accident or what impact their decisions have had on the TT. Totally oblivious to ruining the specticial. Well done.
PaddockGossip.com
09-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Website Find Reply
hayley mills Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
I think photographers have to sign massive liability waivers, that is how they get away with it.
10-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
Hayley, photographers need to have at least £2 million public liability insurance cover. Also, most photographers weren't allowed into 'restricted areas' - only the few 'gold' pass holders were allowed that privilege. I guess they had magical properties that protected the holder from flying bikes. There's a lot more I'd like to say about that but I think I need to calm down first...smilie
10-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Website Find Reply
Boris Offline

Threads: 2
does this mean classic action photo's from these areas will become more valuable ?
ill keep an eye on ebay !
who in there right mind would sit on the outside of a bend anyhow whether it was restricted or not ? you wouldnt sit on the edge of the track at craner curves for example with rossi lining up at you as he came through without thinking twice , its only because your sat on a grass bank or in a hedge you feel your safe !?
Its all because common sence isnt allowed these days , you gota have your hand held !
10-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Website Find Reply