Police Backup
Fly Offline

Threads: 2
Police Backup
I would like to thank the police for the prompt backup I received in a tricky situation I found myself in. I was marshalling alone at Ballig Farm road on senior day when two guys on dirt bikes appeared on the other side of the road from my position. They watched the parade from behind the rope but when they decided to go one of the bikes would not start, to my horror the guy bump started it by crossing the track and running down the farm road.
He appeared back at the top of the road wanting to recross the track, a frank exchange of views followed which was within seconds of violence when the chap backed down on being informed that the police were on the way to arrest him.
He has been fined several hundred pounds an excluded from the island for 5 years.
Thanks again for the rapid backup.
09-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

RE: Police Backup
I think Dave should get some sort of award for this. The story is very disturbing. I still haven't seen it on the iomonline or manxradio sites?
I once had a very similar situation at a short cicuit in Scotland many years ago... had to threaten to use my shovel as defence!!
09-06-2008, 04:04 PM
sicknote69 Offline

thewitch Wrote:I think Dave should get some sort of award for this. The story is very disturbing. I still haven't seen it on the iomonline or manxradio sites?
I once had a very similar situation at a short cicuit in Scotland many years ago... had to threaten to use my shovel as defence!!
I spoke to Dave yesterday in the office, and told him I would bring it up at Saturdays debrief. The Dick head got a £500 fine £180 to get his bike back and a 5 year island ban.Lmaolmaosmilie
10-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Manx justice swift and severe don't ya just love it
I wonder was it Mr Moyles ?

Well done Dave
10-06-2008, 09:00 AM
FC
Unregistered

I too find it disturbing to hear that a marshal had been threatened (if he was) but would it not have been better for the marshal to offer some assistance to the rider who was in need of help, the parade had passed and the roads were clear so he could have had the time to help out. The TT is about making friends and helping others, now this chap has been fined and banned from the Island for an incident that could have been avoided. Stupid on both parties considering that the crossing points on the track were open when all this took place.
10-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Arthur Lawn Offline

Threads: 23
FC Wrote:I too find it disturbing to hear that a marshal had been threatened (if he was) but would it not have been better for the marshal to offer some assistance to the rider who was in need of help, the parade had passed and the roads were clear so he could have had the time to help out. The TT is about making friends and helping others, now this chap has been fined and banned from the Island for an incident that could have been avoided. Stupid on both parties considering that the crossing points on the track were open when all this took place.

Sorry can't agree. If you have rules you must keep to them.No good training a marshal in what is allowed and not allowed and then telling him he can bend the rules if necessary. If the road was still closed the marshall acted correctly and the consequences of the riders behaviour was not his problem.
5 year ban from IOM tell me someone how do you enforce this without passport control?
10-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Unless the rules have been changed a marshal can assist a person to cross over during the races, which is NOT when this happened. How many times do you see photographers cross the road DURING races, every race.

WE HAVE ONLY heard one side of the story ?
10-06-2008, 06:06 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

Colin, I have heard the whole story from the marshal concerned, Mr Moyle has heard both sides, and the guy admitted guilt. This guy was was out of order, including threatening violence. For Pete sake, why are you on his side? Personally, as I understand he was banned and uninsured as well, I reckon Mr M only sent him across instead of to jail, to save a few Manx bob.
10-06-2008, 06:23 PM
FC
Unregistered

Helen did you not read my post properly I said I dont agree with what happened but I do feel that if a person needs assistance and the roads are clear then common sense should prevail. Its OK for a marshall to shout get your f*****g feet over the wall at the QB and if that had of been in earshot of my Son you can guess where the marshall would have ended up.
For Christs sake the TT has been hit with a lot of restrictions this year some may have lost their way and needed help .

Its Nice to be nice, but if the bloke was the first to be abusive then he deserves to get what he did.

Oh and the Marshalls at the Cregg helped spectators to cross the roads this year.
10-06-2008, 06:30 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

He was threatening, taking his jacket off to the marshal. It was an offroad bike, which could have spread s**t all over the road, and initially it wouldn't go, so he was trying to start it on the road. (There were actually two of them, by the way, although the other guy was reasonable) and the marshal was on his own. Crossing the road against the instructions of a marshal when the roads are closed is an offence.
He had already crossed it, while getting it to go, and was attempting to go back across.This guy was indefensible. The marshal concerned is as peaceable and conciliatory as it is possible to be and was very afraid. He did not threaten the guy, he merely called for assistance. He deserves your support, Colin.
10-06-2008, 06:38 PM
cargo
Unregistered

Something occurs to me.....................

One has to assume that the police were not too far away when this incident occured goes to show that they are out there and available when needed...............
10-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Fly Offline

FC Wrote:I too find it disturbing to hear that a marshal had been threatened (if he was) but would it not have been better for the marshal to offer some assistance to the rider who was in need of help, the parade had passed and the roads were clear so he could have had the time to help out. The TT is about making friends and helping others, now this chap has been fined and banned from the Island for an incident that could have been avoided. Stupid on both parties considering that the crossing points on the track were open when all this took place.

If the guy had asked for my help I would have assisted him as you say, but he suddenly ran down the hill and across the track before I could even shout, my priority after that was stopping him from recrossing, he was disputing my authority to do this, his words were "ok lets sort this out between us" dismounted his bike removed his jacket and moved toward me. In my experience this constitutes a threat. Im disappointed that you are ready to doubt me and take his side.
10-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Fly Wrote:

If the guy had asked for my help I would have assisted him as you say, but he suddenly ran down the hill and across the track before I could even shout, my priority after that was stopping him from recrossing, he was disputing my authority to do this, his words were "ok lets sort this out between us" dismounted his bike removed his jacket and moved toward me. In my experience this constitutes a threat. I'm disappointed that you are ready to doubt me and take his side.

I'm sorry if you take it I doubt you, I don't, you hear that many stories from the TT that its hard to pick the good with the bad. As you say If he would have asked I'm sure you would have helped 99% of marshalls would have. Its very rare to hear of true race fans being abusive to the marshals, locals yes. I'm glad to note that you say you would have helped if asked. Why nothing about this in the news, I did hear the Chief Marshall say on the radio today that £22k had been handed out on fines over the TT, so I recon your problem was a slight incident that got out of hand, Once again I apologize if you feel offended by my replies
10-06-2008, 07:18 PM
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63
FC Wrote:Unless the rules have been changed a marshal can assist a person to cross over during the races, which is NOT when this happened. How many times do you see photographers cross the road DURING races, every race.

WE HAVE ONLY heard one side of the story ?

The rules have changed, Colin, and the marshal was perfectly correct.
10-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

If you listen to the announcements at the beginning of each closed road session, whether race or practice, the law says "No vehicle shall enter the closed road without the express permission of the Clerk of the Course". Couldn't be clearer.
10-06-2008, 07:49 PM
FC
Unregistered

thewitch Wrote:If you listen to the announcements at the beginning of each closed road session, whether race or practice, the law says "No vehicle shall enter the closed road without the express permission of the Clerk of the Course". Couldn't be clearer.

[Image: thumb-lg-bigscrew.jpg]
10-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Stella Offline

Threads: 58
Reading thread would support the marshall 110%

Surely you want to encourage futher people to marshall ?

Certainly dont want to cause any upset but wondered, out of interest how were the marshalling numbers this TT ?
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
10-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

You're screwed, Moore....smilieLollmao
10-06-2008, 08:33 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

After the first night, the Saturday, which is more difficult because so few off Island people have arrived, I think things were pretty good. Where I was I had two permanent marshals and a couple of times I had an extra one, which was really good. Parkfield/St Ninians had enough too.
A lot of experienced marshals have been given more responsibility, and there were lots of new people, who sound as if they want to do it again.
No room for complacency, but that's not the TTMA style anyway... loads of cars around the Island inviting you to "Join the Orange Army"... might not go down so well elsewhere!
Maybe one of our CSM/DSM/Committee marshals would like to add to that?
10-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Stella Offline

Threads: 58
Thanks Helen so glad to hear it, as my initial instinct many months ago was that perhaps you would not get the support as in previous years.

That was only as i so felt for the marshalls, the unpaid hero`s of our racing world.

Really glad i was proved wrong.
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
10-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Find Reply