Historic Scoreboards to go?
T-M Offline

Threads: 2
Historic Scoreboards to go?
I have just heard from a reliable source (and it couldn't be more reliable) that the DTL is in favour of replacing the iconic TT scoreboards with an 'up to date' electronic version?

Now call me old fashioned and nostalgic, but don't things like this represent the history of the event and add to the flavour and unique atmosphere. It's not like there is anything wrong with the existing system, the Scouts didn't even get a contribution for manning it this year so costs are minimal.

It seems like all the little things that make the races unique are disappearing and all we will be left with is the road itself.

Are the organisers completely ignorant of the history of the TT and it's value in promoting the event. It's obvious that most of them have never raced or even ridden a bike, as becomes clear when you see some of the wierd decisions that are made, so are they really the best custodians of the TT?
10-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

RE: Historic Scoreboards to go?
I'd be really surprised as they have been focusing on the history of these and the Scouts involvement, a lot this year.
Maybe they could have a digital display as well, but you would need a very complex, large, expensive and vulnerable system to show every riders place as is the case now.
10-06-2008, 09:59 PM
T-M Offline

thewitch Wrote:I'd be really surprised as they have been focusing on the history of these and the Scouts involvement, a lot this year.
Maybe they could have a digital display as well, but you would need a very complex, large, expensive and vulnerable system to show every riders place as is the case now.

Yes you would have thought so, but certain names have been associated who feel that it is an anachronism, a bit like a few other things mentioned.
10-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Find Reply
Hans Offline

Threads: 1
T-M Wrote:[quote=thewitch]

I've been following the TT this year for the first time by logging on to the new and inproved iomtt.com live stream. And thought what a wonderful tool. I could imagine that, like the airport has screens with depatures and arrivals. you could have 2 or 3 screens next to one another showing the progress of every rider
11-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
T-M Wrote:
thewitch Wrote:I'd be really surprised as they have been focusing on the history of these and the Scouts involvement, a lot this year.

Yes you would have thought so, but certain names have been associated who feel that it is an anachronism, a bit like a few other things mentioned.

Ok modern technolagy is ok till its goes wrong the scoreboard is part of the TT and Mgp and should remainsmilie
Roll on Kells 2010
11-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Find Reply
Phil Windrum Offline

Threads: 5
No less a person than Murray Walker has previously pleaded with the organisers never to change the scoreboard system.
11-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Find Reply
T-M Offline

One change this year was the 'safety' barrier to prevent the scouts from falling off? Obscures the view of the later lap times!!

As these boards were in use at St Johns in the early days, could official figures be released to show the actual number of times over the past 100 years that a scout has fallen off the scoreboard? It never happened when I was a scout and hasn't happened since as far as I'm aware?

All these 'small' changes add up to an event that loses it's magic. The blackboard that displayed road conditions was changed at some expense for an electric device this year, why?
Just another little piece of nostalgia chucked away for no good reason.

At this rate the TT will just become a poor copy of BSB!
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2008, 01:03 PM by T-M.)
11-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
Well there are two schools of thought on this one:

"Men can know more than their ancestors did if they start with a knowledge of what their ancestors had already learned....That is why a society can be progressive only if it conserves its traditions."
Walter Lippmann (1889 - 1974)

or

"History is more or less bunk. It's tradition. We don't want tradition. We want to live in the present and the only history that is worth a tinker's dam is the history we made today."

Henry Ford (1863 - 1947), Interview in Chicago Tribune, May 25th, 1916

My feeling is that the scoreboard is a visual tradition ,and of course we can get the positions on the radio or the computer, but why trash tradition if it is not hurting anyone?
Thank goodness the young guns are not in charge of cricket. Plenty of electronics and hi-tech there but you don't see it.

However we do have our memories.

"Even God cannot change the past."
Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
11-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Find Reply
Hans Offline

Threads: 1
I belive that tradition is very important. But at the same time technology is going forward, and this at a quickening pace. We also love our classic bikes roaring past but we know that if we only had the old vintage bikes racing on the mountain, crowds of people would stay home. There has to be a fine balance. We need the old and the new.
11-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Find Reply
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14
Hans Wrote:I belive that tradition is very important. But at the same time technology is going forward, and this at a quickening pace. We also love our classic bikes roaring past but we know that if we only had the old vintage bikes racing on the mountain, crowds of people would stay home. There has to be a fine balance. We need the old and the new.

Quite right Hans, in this case though the old we need is the scoreboard to stay as it is and the new is the instant transponder times that are available to the commentators and people listening online.
Cheers
Russ
Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
11-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Website Find Reply
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39
This is new information to me! Please go on!

Paul
11-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Find Reply
T-M Offline

Well that's strange, but I'm prepared to take your word for it. However it seems that your employers have expressed a view that you are not aware of.
14-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
[quote=Hans]
I belive that tradition is very important. But at the same time technology is going forward, and this at a quickening pace. We also love our classic bikes roaring past but we know that if we only had the old vintage bikes racing on the mountain, crowds of people would stay home. There has to be a fine balance. We need the old and the new.
[/quote
I am inclined to agree Hans, about needing the old and the new. However I spoke with six Australians yesterday who said they would never return to the TT. I also gave my opinions to Paul a couple of years ago why I chose not to return. You have to remember that the cost to come from Australia to watch races so similar (except for the wonderful sidecars) is not worth it. Most people I know come for the 'tradition' and this is the way we wish to remember it. To remind myself of why I was/am so passionate about this wonderful event, on a rainy Sunday afternoon in Australia today I watched "No Limit" for the upteenth dozen time. I sincerely hope the TT doesn't turn into an event like all those 'other' motorcycle meetings throughout the world. The TT is unique, just like it's Score Board. Under no circumstances should that ever change. It should remain and used in conjunction with any new technology. Sadly, sometimes I love to live in the past when everything 'turned out nicely'.
15-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Find Reply
Rocket Man Offline

Threads: 13
The scoreboard should remain as it is part of the TT as much as the mountain circuit.

The scoreboard is unique to the Isle of Man. why get rid of a system that has worked well for as long as it has been there.
A new electronic system which could break down. would make the cubs and scouts redundant who have done a wonderful job over the years. People come to the TT to see the greatest roadraces in the world and its history.

There is an old saying. "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT".

PS. Did the Audi's manage to keep going as the new course cars?
16-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Find Reply
crock stock Offline

Threads: 0
i cant see them going anywhere. i wouldnt think its an issue
(This post was last modified: 17-06-2008, 12:09 AM by crock stock.)
17-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Find Reply