Medical costs
FC
Unregistered

Medical costs
One of the Islands MHKs has raised the question over the cost of medical treatment to those that have offs at the TT, he says that it costs about £80 to £100k per patient and in one case this year £160k which is a bit of a burden on the DHSS.

I wonder where this is going, I hope in the bin

story here http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Single-TT...4184623.jp
16-06-2008, 07:39 PM
alf885 Offline

Threads: 46
RE: Medical costs
FC Wrote:One of the Islands MHKs has raised the question over the cost of medical treatment to those that have offs at the TT, he says that it costs about £80 to £100k per patient and in one case this year £160k which is a bit of a burden on the DHSS.

I wonder where this is going, I hope in the bin

story here http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Single-TT...4184623.jp

I'm always very sceptical about how these costings are attributed. Modernised "mumbo jumbo" from the public services based on some ill conceived "best value" assessment that in truth mean absolutely zilch. A service, be it Police, Health, Fire or others is just what it's meant to be - a Public Service - it costs what it costs.

Don't let the IOM follow the UK's obsession with knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing. We have suffered endless reviews and restructures of our public bodies here in the UK in recent years without there being any tangible benefit to the community.

The total cost of providing a service cannott be simply apportioned to the number of events. In theory a single event could then be held to account for the whole budget! Talk about headline grabbing. How about - No Increased Expenditure as Accident Rate Falls - same news just "spun" differently. See http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/TT-fans-r...4165463.jp

alf
(This post was last modified: 16-06-2008, 10:18 PM by alf885.)
16-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Website Find Reply
Wantan Offline

Threads: 3
I shouldn't worry too much - it's an easy target for our Health Minister, who I sense begrudges letting anyone into our hospital... taking up all that space... why can't people just stay at home and suffer quietly?

I saw a similar news article on Bore-der News the other week about the cost of mountain rescues. Maybe they'll ban walking up hills.
16-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Find Reply
Moan Moan Offline

Threads: 0
To be fair to Mr Teare, he doesn't, in this article, appear to be complaining about the cost of providing medical care for those unfortunate enough to be injured during the TT, merely observing what the approximate costs are to the health service of dealing with the impact of a serious road traffic collision.
It is also worth noting his comments came as he thanked hospital staff for their work during what was, and I don't think anyone can deny this, a busy time for the caring professions.
He also notes, in the final quote, that accidents are not the sole preserve of the TT.

Incidentally, admin, I do hope this post is allowed to remain on the forum - unlike another post which was removed without any explanation.
Counting down the days to TT09!
18-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Moan Moan Wrote:Incidentally, admin, I do hope this post is allowed to remain on the forum - unlike another post which was removed without any explanation.

I've checked your profile settings and it would seem that you have chosen to disallow your private message facility perhaps that is why you haven't recieved any "explanation"

And..........

IF a posting ws removed by admin then it was done with good reason and so explanations are not always nesscessary..........
18-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Moan Moan Offline

Threads: 0
cargo Wrote:
Moan Moan Wrote:Incidentally, admin, I do hope this post is allowed to remain on the forum - unlike another post which was removed without any explanation.

I've checked your profile settings and it would seem that you have chosen to disallow your private message facility perhaps that is why you haven't recieved any "explanation"

And..........

IF a posting ws removed by admin then it was done with good reason and so explanations are not always nesscessary..........

I can only offer my apologies - I am a bit new to all this internet forum posting business and don't really know what I'm doing. I think - think - I have switched my personal messages on now. I really would appreciate some guidance on why my post to the thread 'Tony Scott speaks out' was deleted because I couldn't see anything very offensive in it.
Counting down the days to TT09!
18-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Find Reply