Entertainment
FC
Unregistered

Entertainment
Lots of us feel that the entertainment now on offer at the TT is past its sell by date, Ideas are needed by the DTL as of which way to go in the future. Booking acts takes ages and I believe very complicated so how about starting a thread with good ideas for the future.

How about a Miss Road Racing competition, other meetings could have their comps with the finals being held on the Island. OK its not pure T*t and Bush but in the past these types of events have been popular and I'm sure a sponsor could be found for the event.

Another idea would be to have a round of the international super cross here during TT, its another event that's well supported and it would make a change from the Beach Races.
(This post was last modified: 17-06-2008, 01:01 PM by ttwebsite.)
17-06-2008, 12:40 PM
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
RE: Entertainment
I think that the major problem with trying to get a variety is where to put it all. I would love to see brought back the nights that we had at the Lido and Summerland, can just about remember those nights with the iron man competitions, bike balancing and everything that goes along with that. You could mix local bands with that and have a real good night. I loved those nights, such a good laugh and met so so many people that I am still friends with now. But I guess you carn't drag up the past and have to move forward......... unfortunately, maybe we could have a Lido reunion in the pictures car park during the Manx ..... but keep it quiet as we might get told off ... or even worse ... get told to turn the music down lol
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
(This post was last modified: 17-06-2008, 01:15 PM by DCLUCIE.)
17-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

I think Colin makes something of a valid point.

I've long considered it would be a huge boost to the TT if a really big top band could be booked for TT fortnight the sort of band that would sell ticket to people who have no real interest in the TT itself but would pay anything to see that band while those people are in the Island they soon discvery the joys of real road racing.

Book the like of U2 or Led Zep and watch the tickets fly even the Stones would bring in huge numbers of punters...............

As for Status Quo .........................................smilie
17-06-2008, 02:41 PM
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
cargo Wrote:I think Colin makes something of a valid point.

I've long considered it would be a huge boost to the TT if a really big top band could be booked for TT fortnight the sort of band that would sell ticket to people who have no real interest in the TT itself but would pay anything to see that band while those people are in the Island they soon discvery the joys of real road racing.

Book the like of U2 or Led Zep and watch the tickets fly even the Stones would bring in huge numbers of punters...............

As for Status Quo .........................................smilie

You had all of this last year with the Peel Festival. The Who just to name one, and there were others to cover all tastes from the young to the old timers like Cargo ..... Yahoo But the government turned its back on it ... still can not understand why ... maybe because it wasn't their idea ....

There was also the opportunity to see the very best of the Islands bands ..... Unreasonable Behaviour....... and this was free ... smilie Yahoo hands up who wants to see them next year ..... smilie smilie smilie smilie
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
(This post was last modified: 17-06-2008, 04:29 PM by DCLUCIE.)
17-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Next year BonkBonk

I want to see them at the Manx Yahoosmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
17-06-2008, 05:37 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

One of the problems with the big bands is that the tickets are all gone by the time the visitors arrive. I spoke to few who were disappointed as they would have gone to the SQ concert, but only found out when they got here, and it was sold out.Sad

Saw some excellent free entertainment this afternoon. Happened to be in the DTL offices and watched Colin working on the Wedding Cake!!smilie smilie
Even on his hands and knees at one point... excellent good clean fun!!!smilie smilie smilie
17-06-2008, 05:38 PM
GriffMuss Offline

Threads: 32
Sounds like he was begging mercy to the Ministersmilie
Roll on ALAND 2009, Island Games Xlll.
Yahoo, I've achieved 3 guidelines for the Island Games & I'm selected ! May see you after at the S100 & Jurby Road.
17-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Website Find Reply
oggy Offline

Threads: 2
Yes nights like we used to have in the Lido would go down a bomb I remember the signs around the room that said no dancing on the chairs unless all the tables are full. There's no where left to host nights like that and even if there was what would health and safety have to say about the public lifting tyres without the appropriate training or balancing on motor bikes with no safety net. I agree that the entertainment is the same old same old and could do with some new ideas lets hope this thread throws up some good ones. The chances of getting bands like the Stones are slim and none and slim just left town, no where big enough to accommodate. Unlike some say bands like Quo are popular but need to play more than one night, Robert Plant played the Villa in 05 and did two nights. I found out about Quo early enough but still couldn't get tickets and the problem with the Who last year was putting them on in the middle of practice week, they could have played two nights race week. After all that my head hurts so I'll try and think up some good ideas another night.
18-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Maybe the tickets for the shows could go on sale through the UK media, Bike Sport, MCN. I did notice that tickets were being resold for Quo at a inflated price on other forums
19-06-2008, 07:33 AM
thewitch
Unregistered

Excellent stuff at the MGP:
http://www.mgpguitarfest.com/
19-06-2008, 02:38 PM
cargo
Unregistered

Excellent Steve Gibbons at the Manx.............smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
(This post was last modified: 20-06-2008, 12:23 PM by Malcolm.)
19-06-2008, 04:06 PM
oggy Offline

Threads: 2
Does anybody remember The Brownsvill Band we used to go to see them every year the funniest act I've ever seen none stop smut and foolery with some songs thrown in. Lead by Doc Roberts if they made I come back I would be the first at the door.
20-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

OK this may not be Road Racing but with the start of the round Britain Power Boat race this week the Island is to miss out again. The race and its boats/teams are to visit all the British nations bar the Isle of Man. Its another opportunity missed to promote the Island and what it has to offer. Power Boat racing attracts some major sponsors and some of these might not be aware of the TT and the chance to promote their goods at it.
Has the Islands Government got a hidden agenda regarding the TT and other motor sports I wonder and I'm not the only person to think this ??????????
21-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Southernman Offline

Threads: 0
FC Wrote:OK this may not be Road Racing but with the start of the round Britain Power Boat race this week the Island is to miss out again. The race and its boats/teams are to visit all the British nations bar the Isle of Man. Its another opportunity missed to promote the Island and what it has to offer. Power Boat racing attracts some major sponsors and some of these might not be aware of the TT and the chance to promote their goods at it.
Has the Islands Government got a hidden agenda regarding the TT and other motor sports I wonder and I'm not the only person to think this ??????????

If I remember rightly, when we had the Honda power boats here, there was a problem with upsetting the fish or basking sharks or something. Can't be surprised when we are taken off the list of places to visit.
22-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

I cant remember that problem and the only problem that I heard of was the removal of Lobster pots from Douglas bay, it was done without the pot men knowing, me included I ended up losing 5 pots last year and if Id been asked to move them I would have. Saying that it should not stop the powerboat racing, all it needs is a bit of cooperation between all parties.
23-06-2008, 07:29 AM
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
Southernman Wrote:If I remember rightly, when we had the Honda power boats here, there was a problem with upsetting the fish or basking sharks or something. Can't be surprised when we are taken off the list of places to visit.

According to the news, there were similar concerns with the power boats off the coast of North & West Wales, resulting in the course having to be moved.
....scone out to take photos!
(This post was last modified: 23-06-2008, 08:59 AM by boakesey.)
23-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Frankly, I much rather see the sharks, whales and dolphins than the speedboats any day. What's there to see? Not comparable to bikes at all.
23-06-2008, 09:57 AM
FC
Unregistered

Its another form of entertainment, maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but as the title of the thread says ENTERTAINMENT.

Personally, I think the manufacturers are missing out on a great opportunity to promote all their products at the TT, surely there is room for a proper motor show on the prom, don't forget the Bike manufacturers don't just produce bikes they produce quite a lot more as those that have been to Daytona would know about.
23-06-2008, 11:24 AM
thewitch
Unregistered

You're absolutely right about a motor show. Honda had a new dealer here round about that time, for bikes, too... perfect to launch that. Some sort of motorfair, with bikes, cars, accessories, clothes etc along the Prom?
23-06-2008, 12:02 PM