TTMA Newsletter
thewitch
Unregistered

TTMA Newsletter
Chairmans Column

I seem to remember saying it would not be long before TT takes off and here we are in a blink of an eye and it is all but a memory. But what a memory; the racing was extraordinary; the weather conditions were ideal and there was an ORANGE ARMY to be proud of.

It has been a record year for there not being any ultra serious crashes during racing and long may that be the case. Those that did find the need for a ride in AIRMED and a stay in Nobles; we wish them all a speedy recovery. There were recorded some half as many incidents to deal with as in other years and reports back to us from the Chief Medical Officer (Dr Stevens) and others, stated that the actions of marshals dealing with incidents was very professional. It just goes to prove that the Incident Management training we all take part in works in practice.

The wheels of the TT machine never actually stop turning; they have however slowed down just a bit. This is mainly because the other show to go on the road is the MGP. The Manx is not as glossy as the TT and is generally a little more subdued but is still an extremely important event. The critical fact for us though is that the TTMA needs to provide exactly the same number of marshals to get the races under way. For those who may be unaware of the criteria we need to meet it is quite simple; we need a minimum of 504 marshals in all the strategic positions before any race or practice can start. Without that number being covered it simply does not start; the Clerk of the Course will not commence any session until the manning levels are met. So here is the sales pitch again; we need your help to marshal the 2008 MGP; by doing so you will support all the riders; you will support the Island and most of all support road racing in general. My view on the matter of marshalling is still the same; if you are here for the races why not get involved to ensure we have more than enough marshals and the races are secure.

This years TT had almost 1400 marshals in attendance and on the Friday of the senior race the numbers were exactly matching those of the centenary. The Chief Marshal (Chief Constable) was passing the office and called in for a chat bringing with him the Chief Minister (Mr Tony Brown). On hearing of the figures Mr Langdon suggested that if the Chief Minister should sign on as a marshal our official figures would surpass those of the centenary; he did and so they did.

I wish to thank our Chief Constable Mike Langdon for the great job he did as Chief Marshal; it has been a pleasure to work with him. I would also like to thank Superintendent Carolyn Kinrade and the TT work group up in the eaves of Police HQ too many names to mention; they all put in a great deal of time and effort to ensure the TT went ahead. I can tell you we were all looking a bit jaded and frayed around the edges by the end of week two after all the early morning meetings; the only consolation was the sausage and bacon breakfast; didn’t want to ask for porridge in the police station.

Thanks must also go to Mike Dean, who I believe missed his vocation and should have been a stand up comic; along with Shaun Councell, Kipper Killip and Fred Adlem. Without their effort over many months and their input during the TT we would not have been racing at all.

While we are thanking people I personally wish to thank all the TTMA staff; Nicki & Jodie doing a first-rate job in the office and all the directors being busy with other matters as well as their duties as DSMs and CSMs. A special thanks must go to Vice Chairman Terry Holmes; Terry was responsible for the response cars; not only who drives the cars or who goes in the cars; but actually finding the cars to use in the first place. Terry also had a massive input into the very successful marshal’s supper doing a great job as compare during the whole evening including the Terrible Tunes element of the Karaoke; the whole of the Crowe entourage singing Wild Thing; Ian Pattinson giving a rendition of Bat out of Hell and James Hillier who bravely but bizarrely chose to sing Like a Virgin; not that he chose to sing like a virgin; oh you know what I mean. It was good fun all round and fortunately for them they all have a greater talent for motorcycle racing.

To bring to a conclusion thanking everyone, the most important people to thank are you; the members of the Orange Army. Without you it cannot happen, so from me; all the committee of the TTMA and I am sure everyone here in the Island who has had anything to do with the TT; thank you very much and I hope to see as many of you as possible back for the MGP later this year; if not at next years TT.

Regards

Bill Carden

Chairman

Eddie Nelson – Clerk of the Course

Well the 2008 TT is now just a memory – but what a memory!

The doom and gloom merchants were having a great time after Mr Moyle gave his 42 page conclusions to the events at the 26th Milestone during the Senior TT 2007. “There will never be enough Marshals for this year’s TT” was the cry that we all heard. My thanks and congratulations must go to the IOMTTMA Committee for all the hard work they have put into recruitment and training for the 2008 TT. You certainly showed the world that you are at your best when the odds are stacked against you. WELL DONE.

So to the TT 2008 itself.

The Chief Constable Mike Langdon very kindly agreed to be the Chief Marshal provided he could do his part during the TT. This he certainly did going out to different locations throughout the two weeks and meeting the marshals. I hope nobody moved him on because he was not wearing his Tabard?

Once again the convoy system worked fairly well with everyone working together to get the Marshals off the mountain as quickly as possible after practice and racing. I hope you all managed to get to the pub before closing time each night.

The feed back from the riders this year concerning marshalling has been really good with everyone saying how good the flagging has been and how efficient the incidents have been dealt with. Frank Melling, who organises the Thundersprint, said that the way the Marshals handled the incident involving Sammy Miller was first class and the best he has ever seen in his long career.

I must add that from the bits I have seen on the television and on video footage I must agree.

The weathermen got everything correct for the whole fortnight and that made life so much easier for the team in Race Control. In turn I hope this made life easier for the Orange Army.

From a personal point of view I will remember the 2008 TT for two reasons:

1. It was my first TT as Clerk of the Course a task that I embarked on with some concerns and worries.

2. The tremendous teamwork that evolved during both practice and race weeks.

Finally on behalf of Jim Parker, the Chairman of ACU Events, and myself can I take this opportunity to thank you all for the tremendous support you have given us and for your continued hard work in promoting the TT.

Thank you.

Eddie Nelson

Clerk of the Course

Jim Parker - ACU Events Ltd

As the Managing Director of ACU Events I would like to pass on my very sincere thanks to the TT Marshals Association and all the individual Marshals who carried out their duties so magnificently during this years TT.

I think that the best news I received quite early on this year was that the Chief Constable, Mike LANGDON, had agreed to take on the role of Chief Marshal after Roger HURST unfortunately felt unable to continue in the post. In taking on the job Mike said that he did not want to be just a figurehead and I know that he visited many Marshals around the course during the Practice and Race periods. To have such a high ranking policeman on board was a great re-assurance to everyone. Along with the Chief Steward, I was able to spend a little time with the Marshals at the Railway Inn at Union Mills and I was tremendously impressed with the detailed knowledge accrued over many years that the Marshals there possessed. They also displayed an air of calm efficiency and confidence and this I augurs well for the future.

I know that training fills a big part of the TTMA's activities and I would like to commend all these activities. Along with Incident Management skills, the higher the Marshals training can be taken is obviously all to the good in improvinging the management structure of all the races on the TT course.

So, from a certain amount of gloom following the tragic events of 2007, the TT Marshals were not put off - and supported the event in ever greater numbers. I thank them for it.

I was deeply concerned that my friend Sammy MILLER seems to have forgotten he was riding on the road and not in a trial when he went flying. Fortunately he was almost uninjured, but that escapade does raise some rather serious questions about Paraders in general. Anyway, looking at the photos of him and the bike flying through the air would be a good subject for a Caption Competition! I understand that the bike was a write off too. And that it had been borrowed!

Finally, once again may I thank everyone for all their hard work and I hope to meet up with many more of you during my various visits to the Island during the coming weeks and months.

Jim PARKER

Managing Director

ACU Events Ltd

Mike Langdon – Chief Constable

I am very privileged to have carried out the role of Chief Marshal for the TT. The event itself saw no fatalities and spectators were safe. My experience opened my eyes to the complexity of marshalling and the responsibilities that are inherent with the role. May I say thank you to
the TTMA, the management and the Orange Army for rising to the challenges and delivering a safe event. I enjoyed your company, met an awful lot of genuine committed people who to a person had made sacrifices and you have my admiration and respect for a job well done.

Thanks again for the opportunity it was great.

Regards

Mike

Mike Langdon

Chief Constable

Billown TT Races

We would you like to thank everyone who signed on to marshal on Saturday for the TT Races at Billown. This was most appreciated and I hope that they all enjoyed the day. The racing passed with no serious incident and all the riders returned safe.

If they would like to come back next year they will find the marshals signing on form on our website http://www.southern100.com.

Thanks To All

Willy Clucas

S100 Chief Marshal

2008 Manx Grand Prix Races – 16th to 29th August

Well, TT is over and the year is racing by and the next motorcycle racing event that will be held on the TT Mountain Course is the Manx Grand Prix!

There is a mixture of modern and classic racing at the MGP with a high standard of competitors and is interesting to note that past MGP competitors featured in most of the 2008 TT races and filled 10 places of the top 20 finishers in the Supersport 2 Race. The main difference in the events is that the MGP competitors receive no payment or financial assistance in the form of travel, start or prize monies, they receive only a medal or another award for taking part in the event. They are totally self financing and enter year after year for the thrill and challenge of racing on the world famous TT Course.

As I write it is less that 10 weeks until the start of the first practice of the Manx Grand Prix on Saturday 16 August and as I'm sure you are aware we need 504 Marshals at the MGP to cover the Mountain course as we do for TT. This always presents us with a challenge so I'd like to ask for your help.

I believe that the Manx Grand Prix is the “true spirit of road racing” and would ask you to make sure that you have joined the “Orange Army” by signing on to ensure the 2008 Manx Grand Prix is run safely, successfully and enjoyed by everyone involved.

Hope to see you there!

Yours in sport

Barry Skillicorn
President
Manx Motor Cycle Club Ltd

Sector 3

Well how else to start but, THANK YOU to all of you on the Sector . As you will know this was my first event as Chief Sector Marshal, and everyone’s help and support made it a whole lot easier than it might have been.

Many thanks to Kenny Duncan who stood down as a DSM at Appledene after many years but attended every session in his marshal capacity to help Richard (Bessey) Bairstow learn the ropes. During this time he has also helped David Egginson learn what is involved as he will be the DSM at this location during the MGP. As Bessey will be one of the ones viewing ALL sectors during the MGP from the racing lines.

As we all know there was a bad off at Gorslea during the practices and we wish a full and speedy recovery to James McBride , who has expressed his thanks to all the Marshalls for a brilliant and expert job. All those at Gorslea should be suitably proud and give themselves a pat on the back and again thank you for what you did that evening.

I would also like to welcome the 2 new DSM’s at Ballacraine, John Hocking and Mark Fitzgerald. I hope they enjoyed their time and caught up on their sleep!! (for those of you who have been viewing the forums you will know what I am referring too, and I think I will end that topic there as I am not 100% innocent myself!!!)

From myself and all the Marshalls at Ballaspur we would like to wish a full and speedy recovery to Jim Bryan who was involved in the unfortunate accident at Alpine (he was the innocent party!!!). Hope you and the bike get well soon.

Not sure what else can be said, it was a fantastic TT and here’s to a successful MGP look forward to seeing you all there and remember if anyone else wants to join the Orange Army bring them to the office and they can sign on!

Take care and see you soon

Steve Fitzgerald

Chief Sector Marshal

Sector 5

I'd like to thank all the marshals that helped throughout the sector during this year's TT. These include a good deal of new marshals, signing on for the first time this year as well as 'newish' marshals that got their '10 signatures' either at the end of last year or the very beginning of this session. To all of these I say 'Welcome to the Orange Army'. Long may you remain
part of it. Of course there are the stalwarts who always turn out for which I am very grateful and, last but not least, the marshals in the Response cars which helped on most of the practice evenings.

My other thanks goes to the course maintenance crew who were extremely helpful this year, despite the extra workload placed on them by the re-arranged prohibited and restricted areas. There were of course many other people involved like the girls in the office and the police who I'd also like to thank for their help and assistance. Sorry if I've missed anyone out!

We had a relatively quiet TT but would like to pass on our best wishes to the sidecar crew that crashed approaching the 11th milestone, Kenny Howells and Doug Jewell, and wish them both a speedy recovery. Very well done to the marshals handling that incident. It was seen on TV as well!

We haven't had the final judging results in yet of the 'tea-and-biscuits' competitions but one section was reduced in their tea-making staff as both of them were busy on the scoreboards during racedays so the adults were left to fend for themselves - not always a good idea but they did seem to manage and even introduced what looked like full cooked breakfasts at the roadside!

There was also a very good turn out at the 'closing ceremony' at the pub on Friday where it was nice to see more friendships being cemented with addresses and phone numbers being exchanged - although I was discrete enough not to enquire for what purpose!

I hope you all had safe & pleasant journeys home (including the far-flung corners of the Isle of Man), that the shock of work on Monday wasn't too traumatic for you and I look forward to seeing you back for next years TT or, perhaps even the MGP in August?

Thanks once again and well done.

Robert Crane

Chief Sector Marshal

Sector 8

It was once again great to see so many familiar faces on duty in Sector 8, but there were also a considerable number of new faces, and I hope you all enjoyed the experience. We have unfortunately lost some regular marshals in the last 12 months, but I hope, that after the success of this years TT, they will come back and join us again in future years.

We had a few shortages in places during the week, but thanks to you all, we managed to fill most of them without the need to use the Response Car. I really do appreciate that people are prepared to move at short notice to other locations.

I would also like to thank all the DSM’s in my sector, without you, the sector would not run as smoothly.

If anyone has had any problems in my sector, or have any concerns, please let me know, and I will do my best to deal with them before next year. One concern I know is the availability of Toilets at some locations. This is on my list, and whilst I think it is unlikely much can be done before the MGP, I will do my best to resolve this problem before TT2009.

As you are no doubt aware, I will be competing once again at this years’ MGP, and Stewart Curphey and Keith Quane will be deputising for me during the MGP. I am sure you will all give them your support.

Once again, thank you to one and all, and I look forward to seeing you all again at either the MGP (hopefully as I am going past, and not stopping!), or at next years TT.

Regards

Dave Clarke

Chief Sector Marshal

Sector 9

Well what a fabulous 2 weeks for the TT festival this year. With only one night where the weather was dodgy I hardly feel like I have had a pucker introduction to the art of marshaling on the Mountain. Although that night at the Mountain Mile without a kettle came close to the real thing.

I get the impression that those that didn’t know previously are now well aware of my military background in fact I believe that I am referred to as RSM CSM at the Waterworks and long may that continue. So in true military fashion it is time to hand out the laurel leaves and mention marshals in dispatches. The majority of these come from the Mountain Box where either there is a wealth of dedicated marshals or they just have to solve a lot of problems.

First mention to Matthew Green who made some lengthy cross country treks to help man other corners, second is Laurie Gornall who on missing the convoy walked to the Mountain Box from the Gooseneck (He had the food for the BBQ), lastly Richard Inman who across undertook a long trek in the mist to man another corner.

This fortnight has been successful for the Sector, as we have successful recruited and qualified a number of new marshals both local and from else where. Now is the time for us all to continue to recruit particularly locally and particularly for the practice week of Grand Prix. If everyone on the Sector recruits just one marshal each we will double our numbers. Recruiting and retaining marshals is the job of everyone not just the DSM etc, as we are volunteers it is very much personality driven and I know that marshals new to the sector myself included were made to feel very welcome.

Lastly 2 points. The use of the Tetras I thought was excellent and it is a shame that not everyone gets to hear the radio traffic, as it was very impressive, chatter is kept to a minimum and the messages are clear and concise, in particular the first message after an emergency button activation by Casey’s. The recorded radio traffic is “Emergency Button Press” followed by Oh Sh*t, sorry control. Well done Casey’s good and precise. Finally I wish to thank you all for your efforts and for the professional way in which the Sector was marshaled, the riders, the helicopter crews and the TM’s all commented to me on how impressed they were. Well Done. So stay safe and I look forward to seeing you all again at the Grand Prix or TT 2009.

Steve Goodburn

Chief Sector Marshal

Sector 10

Firstly, my greatest thanks go out to all who attended this year's TT practice and race sessions. The turnout was fantastic and much appreciated by myself and all the organisers and competitors too. Thanks also to Mr John McGuiness who filled in for me on the first Saturday's racing......

Quite a few names from the roster I prepared are not the same as those who attended, and it is important to remember that if you are expecting to attend, but can't, you should try to let either the office or me know as soon as possible. Thank you and a special mention goes out to Bernard Pope for his prompt call, get well soon Bernard.

I know with my work I'm sometimes unobtainable, phones have that problem at 25,000ft! If you are planning but unsure due to work or family commitments, by all means put a note on your forms and I'll take that into account too. The problems of reaching minimum manning can sometimes be far more easily overcome with proper notice. Finding a corner has 10 marshals when your plan had 4 is a nice surprise, but not the best distribution of manpower when overall numbers are tight. This, of course, applies to all sectors, and all co-operation is gratefully received by us all.

We had a good TT this year, and hopefully the weather and action will make the Manx GP as much fun to take part in. Thanks once again to all who helped out on Sector 10 and see you all again, hopefully at the end of August.

My highlight of the event? I've never seen a racer get over the fence and up to the burger van as quickly as Steve Plater on Wednesday morning when he and Keith Amor retired at the Bungalow. Asking for a helicopter to get him back to the pits was probably tongue in cheek, but as I said to him, the tram was good enough for Joey, so it was good enough for him...... priceless.

Mark Harris

Chief Sector Marshal

Manx Grand Prix Signing-on Forms

The forms for the 2008 Manx Grand Prix are currently being printed, and we hope to post them out on around the 20th June.

New/Novice Marshals

If you have not returned you card with the signatures gained at this years TT, please return it to our office as soon as possible so that your records can be updated.

Committee News

So, what has happened in the last few weeks and where are we up to?

1) Filming for the new DVD will take place in the next few weeks for the helicopter loading procedure.

2) The Marshalling Matters handbook was re-named ‘Marshalling on the Mountain Course’ and was included in all the packs for this years TT. It will also be sent to everyone who signs on for the MGP.

3) Agreed to investigate running an IMC Course in Ireland in 2009

Cathy Pullen’s Column

As a Director of the TT Marshals association, and a marshal myself, I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who came out and joined the ‘orange army.’ You were an important part of making TT 2008 such a massive success, and that is something which we can all be proud of.

Prior to the event, there were a number of difficulties and hurdles that we had to overcome, some at very short notice, but we did everything that was required to allow the TT to run, and with the help of all you fellow volunteers, run it did, and what an event it was, with mainly good weather and excellent racing.

As soon as the TT is over, we, as the Association, have to turn our attention to the Manx Grand Prix. We need the same number of you again to run these races. There was some talk in the press before TT from someone who said that they would not marshal because they felt the press had implied marshals from the UK were being drafted to the Island because they had more experience. I believe this came from an article that was written about the TT. As Bill always says, if you hear something like this and are not sure if it is true, call into the office or drop us an email, as this was not the case at all, we rely heavily on our local marshals for both the TT and the MGP and have always done so. The Steam Packet have issued an offer to assist the travel costs of people who are marshalling both the TT and the MGP this year, which would be usable next year, but that is an offer by the ferry company and not the TTMA, we value all our marshals, but especially our home grown ones! There were also people who felt that we had not done enough to reassure marshals after the inquest from the 26th, again, we have worked exceedingly hard to make everything as secure as possible, hence the carefully marked restricted and prohibited areas and checklists, and the fact that our Chief Constable was happy to be the Chief Marshal, must add weight to that fact. Perhaps some of you who decided not to marshal at the TT for whatever reason, will now reconsider for the MGP. Remember, we need as many of you as possible to sign on, and hopefully we will have as good a fortnight as we have all just enjoyed.

Waterworks:

Thanks to all those of you who marshalled with me at the Waterworks this TT. We had a good time throughout although there were some complaints; the midge repellent we have had in stock in our hut for a number of years has had an identity crisis and has now become an attraction to the little biters! They plagued us every evening practice with the voracity of a river full of piranhas, Cat, our radio operator, who is usually banished as a smoker was brought into the huddle of marshals and forced to chain smoke throughout each session! She’s now on holiday fighting off a bad cough!

I have to say a big thanks to Steve Goodburn who took on the job of Chief Sector Marshal. His Dad Fred, who had moved up to get away from Steve on Sector 8, duly arrived for duty on the Monday race day. We were doing our radio checks and someone mentioned that we now had an ex military CSM, Fred laughed, ‘still thinks he’s a Regimental Sergeant Major, always will!!’ Sorry Steve, you’re now RSM CSM to us, we’ll get you a cap with a badge on! Seriously though, Steve did a good job of keeping us all in check, making sure we were all ok and sorting out our problems, only about 9 weeks Steve and you can do it all again!!

Waterworks marshals had the chance to brush up their somewhat lacking language skills during the fortnight. A sidecar with a German crew broke down one evening, I was about to call into Race control at the end of the session for an interpreter to explain why they could not just ride off over the Mountain now they had fixed their problem, how do you say ‘cone lorry convoys’ etc in German, luckily the recovery truck appeared to save the day. A couple of nights later the Italian newcomer slid off his machine. He was perfectly ok, but again, the language was a real problem. He was trying to explain what needed doing to his Ducati, however, a lot of shrugging and gesturing seemed to keep him happy. Next was another sidecar crew who took a closer look at the baled wall than is recommended. Whilst sorting out the ensuing debris, we realised these boys were French, luckily the Driver had a better command of English than the passenger, so he did the interpreting. Next year we must make sure there are some phrase books in residence in our hut.

Lastly, there was Sammy Miller. Once a trials man, always a trials man, and Sammy just thought a section was marked out ready for him, presumably thinking we were observers not marshals. Forgetting he was riding a Ducati 900SS he rode up and over the baled wall in true trials tradition. The bike made its own way down the hillside, landing in a bed of bracken; luckily Sammy was caught in the open arms of a waiting gorse bush. I guess as he did not put his feet down, it would count as dab free! He climbed back out and walked back to await collection. Sammy left the Waterworks in the course car shortly afterwards, shaken not stirred, to the applause of all the amazed spectators.

All that’s left to add is what a fantastic TT, the convoy worked well, and thanks to Travis for entertaining us with his Yassa Arafat and Hannibal Lecter impersonations! What great marshals Sector 9 has, please come back to do it all again, if not at the MGP, then next year for the 2009 TT.

Terry Holme’s Column

Response Cars

Once again we had four response cars on duty, many thanks to all the crews and to the following garages for supplying us with cars; Betteridges of Foxdale, Kingswood Honda of Douglas, Raymotors of Ramsey, and Si Fultons of Douglas.

Manx 2.Com

We have had Manx2 on board this year, they have given us a cup which will be awarded to a novice marshal each year, this year it was won by David Coates, they also gave a pair of return flights to any the destinations that they fly to plus a limited edition signed photo which was awarded to Keith McKay in acknowledgement of his service to marshalling.

They also supplied us with one of there sponsored livered cars to use.

Marshals Supper

A very well attended event, great food, a chat show with the riders/passengers, some great fun with the riders doing some singing ?????? for us, as well as the long service awards two awards sponsored by Manx2.com were presented, the novice award for new marshals which was won by David Coates, and the achievement award which Keith McKay won and were presented by Manx2,s Ann Hartley.

We also had a raffle which raised £1045,the Directors decided to donate half of this to Rebecca House which is the children’s branch of the Hospice.

Mats Nillson

Mats was the winner of the Iceman trophy during the T.T. Which comes with a £600 prize fund, which he kindly donated half of which to the T.T.M.A. What a guy he is, a fantastic gesture which is very appreciated by all of us.

Prize Draw

Throughout the T.T. Fortnight we once again had our free prize draw for our great marshals, which goes a small way to thanking them all for the support they give to us

by marshalling for us, a big thank you to all the companies, teams, riders etc for donating some great prizes.

Awareness Day

We tried a Marshals awareness day at the Lexicon Book shop on the Thursday of race week which was done to promote and attract new marshals into the Orange Army, it proved to be a great success, we collected £245 in the collection bucket, added to by a kind donation of £100 by David and Moria owners of the Lexicon.

Thank You

A list of people who we wish to thank who supported us in various ways during the T.T. Period which I have not previously mentioned our;

Martin from Bushies for providing you each with a free drink

Julie, Sean, and all at Sure Mobile for providing us with free phones.

Debs/Geoff McCann for all there help with providing a list of Marshals discounts and taking photos for us.

Our Chairman’s wife Jill for being our Tea lady and keeping us fed and watered over the period.

Rob Creasey and his staff for all the great catering they provided at the Marshals Supper, and the IMC Courses.

I am sure there are people I have forgotten, but I am sure they appreciate how much we appreciate all there help and support.

My final thanks go to our two great girls in the office Nikki and Jodie who have both done a fantastic job, as well as being great office staff they provide an excellent first form of contact to both present and new marshals coming into the office.

Terry Holmes

Vice Chairman

IMC Training Courses

We are continuing to train marshals at a prodigious rate, and the total trained this winter now stands at 422, which is a tremendous effort by all concerned. We are now finalising dates for the UK next winter, and hope to have these in the next newsletter.

We are also looking at holding an additional course on Sunday 24th August for visiting marshals who are on the Island for MGP race week if there is sufficient demand. If this course might interest you, please let us know, so a final decision can be made.

The list of confirmed courses for 2008 is as follows:

August 22nd (MGP Practice Week) Masonic Hall Douglas

In addition, we have confirmed dates for next winter as follows:

October 5th St Johns HQ Douglas

November 9th St Johns HQ Douglas

November 22nd & 23rd Liverpool

As always if you have any comments on the training offered by the TTMA, or anything you feel that marshals should receive training on that is not covered by the IMC, let us know. We are constantly reviewing our training, and your comments are helpful.

To make a comment, or to book a course, please contact us on training@iomttma.com or phone the office on 01624 618191.

Gorse Lea Marshals Report 1

The 1st report of 2008 was delayed as I have been recovering from slapped wrists for not posting an account, promised last year, of how a couple of the team tripped over the language barrier and narrowly avoided causing an international incident.

(Disclaimer - ACU Events Ltd can in no way be held responsible for the incident reported below. The area concerned has now been aerially photographed, taped off and additional signage has been erected – so you can’t blame us for nuffink, Matey!)

2007 Footnote:

The day started well at Gorse Lea. The troop arrived early and dealt with all the routine tasks and administration. They made sure that the hundreds of spectators were safely tucked up on Harold’s bank in warm, sunny conditions. The roads-closed announcement was heard over the Tetra, so the first coffee of the morning was poured as the team leaned on the meditational bale to appreciate the birdsong.

Suddenly the peace was shattered. Phil had spotted movement in the undergrowth just a few metres (yes, we’ve mostly gone metric at Gorse Lea) from the post and had (politely) requested the curtilage encroacher to retrace his steps. Contrary to Phil’s request, the leafy disturbance was unrelenting and a telephoto lens emerged from the bushes. Phil made further polite and reasonable requests in the direction of the photo-sniper. In response, a leather-clad arm appeared, supporting a large hand clearly gesturing a victory sign.

Phil was unmistakably not amused by this signal. With lightning reaction and speed (witnessed only once previously when a malicious barmaid put lime in his lager in Bosham, West Sussex on August 29th, 2005) he placed his cup on the bale and took the fast route down the bank into the field (fell) closely followed by RR Berrie DSM. The gallant pair brushed themselves down, extracted a few thorns from sensitive areas behind the Harold Leece Shelter, then strode forward together to fend off the invader.

Within seconds the soles of a pair of strong boots were discovered, protruding from the luxuriant undergrowth. Phil addressed the soles in assorted, influential phrases, but there was still no sign of withdrawal from the occupant of the large boots. By this time DSM Berrie was becoming uncharacteristically impatient, and chose to grip the boots lightly but persuasively. Immediately, a large, leather-clad body slipped gently out of the hedge and down the bank into the field.

The bewildered figure struggled to his feet, pointing to his camera, and in broken English made the following memorable statement,

“Oh Mein Gott! I not understand Englisch!

I say, gib mir 2 minuten to take photograph!”

Gorse Lea Marshals – Always Up To Scratch.

TTMA Forum

As some of you may know, we have a forum, which can be found at:

http://www.ttmaforum.co.uk

We will keep this updated with announcements as and when they are made, but it is also somewhere you can swap stories. I hope you will take a look, and join in some of the discussions on there.

Contacts

You can contact our office by email at info@iomttma.com or at the following address:

PO Box 149

Isle of Man TT Marshals Association Limited

Douglas

Isle of Man

IM99 3JA

Tel: +44 (0) 1624 618191

Training enquiries should be emailed to: training@iomttma.com

Our website address is http://www.iomttma.com

Finally

Well, we did it, and we proved the doubters wrong. It has been said before I know, but the IOMTTMA could not have done it without you all. Every single marshal, whether you did one session or every session, is a vital to the smooth running of the event. This at the end of the day is a ‘Team Effort’, and no individual is any more important than the next.

I would also like to thank the DOT for all their help with the marshals convoy. I hope, that anyone who was in the convoy would agree that the DOT got us off the mountain in record time this year.

I would also like to clear something up for all those that were at the Marshals Supper – I was hiding!!! Terry and the rest of the Directors seemed to be determined to give me a Long Service award (I am not that old, honest!), and went to great lengths to make sure I didn’t see the certificate beforehand. I thought they were looking shifty, but they found me! Apologies for holding up the Karaoke, but it was an honour to receive it, and I am looking forward to the next 25 years.

Till next time.

regards

Dave Clarke

Treasurer
17-06-2008, 10:42 PM
GriffMuss Offline

Threads: 32
RE: TTMA Newsletter
Bonk
Jim Parker - ACU Events Ltd

I was deeply concerned that my friend Sammy MILLER seems to have forgotten he was riding on the road and not in a trial when he went flying. Fortunately he was almost uninjured, but that escapade does raise some rather serious questions about Paraders in general. Anyway, looking at the photos of him and the bike flying through the air would be a good subject for a Caption Competition! I understand that the bike was a write off too. And that it had been borrowed!

Well good heavens the truth hurtsPigfly

Did I or did I not say sometime ago on this forum and the ACU ( yes one that mysteryously disappeared) that the parades should have to qualify to do a parade lap just like riders have to do their 6 meetings
to apply for the TT course licence which DOESN'T guarantee a ride at TT/MGP!smiliesmilie

Perhaps Mr Parker should read his correspondance?? Occasionally?
Roll on ALAND 2009, Island Games Xlll.
Yahoo, I've achieved 3 guidelines for the Island Games & I'm selected ! May see you after at the S100 & Jurby Road.
17-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Website Find Reply