Dug this out today
Chris Thackeray Offline

Threads: 28
Dug this out today
Cant believe this is 30 odd years old.......my tz 350 engine....

Sure it is an A.....D barrels E head.

Has a stamp on it R SMITH......any info on that?.

[Image: DSC_0555.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0552.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0558.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0563.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0551.jpg]
18-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

RE: Dug this out today
Oh, yum yum... all I need now is a Baker frame....
19-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
So many memories! Ha! It's made me want to pull my old "E" out of the shed which I bought new off Bill Smith in 1978. I remember being able to get a crank out of mine after MGP practice, and the thing still being warm! Weren't they fun to work on? Everyone had their own ideas as to how get them to: a)Run well, and: b) Not detonate.There were thousands of theories, but I would give most credit to Dennis Trollope, he had the knowledge..... and the bits!
The R Smith, could have been that great character Bob Smith, who , I think,sadly lost his life at Scarborough.
19-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Larry knows all about the inside of one of those BonkBonkBonkBonkBonkBonkBonkBonkBonk
19-06-2008, 10:19 AM
smokey125 Offline

Threads: 7
Great bikes, I will always remember watching them at the Manx as a kid. No two the same and always the question of would they hold together?!?

One of our friends used to take his press with him there would be a steady stream of riders with cranks requiring rebuild!

I'll finish it one day!
19-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I remember taking the exhaust off one of ours at the Southern, after the outfit stopped suddenly at Ballakeighan.
Being an outfit it was too wide to go in the van with exhausts fitted. As I held it up to put in the van, these corn flakes fell out... metal corn flakes....
19-06-2008, 01:22 PM
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
I remember Jurby Builders team of Steve Moynihan, Ralf Sutcliffe, Rodger Luckman all riding those old un's. I personnal loved the G motor bottom end H barrels and the A head. I think the A head was split so was open to a little jiggery pokery shall I say he he he.

Steve was the best crank man arround in them good old days. Had the pleasure of riding on of his old machines when I was sidecar racing. not on track of course but just for a little run ;-), was great fun, had to be careful of the clutch though.

They used to say you could feel them tightening up and they, as always, would run best just before they seized lol....

Great times, great pics and as I remember, always that great smell of Castrol R there's nothing like it .... carn't smell a thing nowadays .... maybe thats why though thinking back lol

I think thats a G motor with H barrels and a G head though. But carn't be sure ......
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
(This post was last modified: 19-06-2008, 05:34 PM by DCLUCIE.)
19-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Find Reply
steve-e Offline

Threads: 6
there are still a few running in the F350 sidecar class, although it's starting to move towards 350 Banshee motors.
First bike I raced was a 250TZ solo, but don't tell anyone Wink Tongue
SteveEnglish
19-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Website Find Reply
GriffMuss Offline

Threads: 32
cargo Wrote:Larry knows all about the inside of one of those BonkBonkBonkBonkBonkBonkBonk

Poor Larry smilie never mind he'll get his comeup pence smilie
Roll on ALAND 2009, Island Games Xlll.
Yahoo, I've achieved 3 guidelines for the Island Games & I'm selected ! May see you after at the S100 & Jurby Road.
19-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Website Find Reply
Chris Thackeray Offline

Threads: 28
Main body is an A....and im sure its D barrels E head.....anyways it was easy to do a decoke..never stripped it down below that....Guy that used to do mine and tune was a Brian Dunn from East Ham....i still have the frame....Harris Magnum....ta for the info about R Smith.

Pity you cant get that castrol R anymore....was out on mybike and stuck behind a new car...and the stink....boiled eggs....and they call that clean...Bring back the R.
20-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Website Find Reply