Manx GP some good advice from Chief Technical Officer
cargo
Unregistered

Manx GP some good advice from Chief Technical Officer
I would like to take this opportunity to help everyone (riders, mechanics and technical officials) get through Manx Grand Prix 2008 race fortnight with the minimum amount of disruption by letting everyone know what we expect in terms of machine preparation. Some of the requirements may appear to be idiosyncratic but I can assure you that every regulation that we work to has a reason based on many years experience of checking racing machines used on the Mountain Course. I know that many of our regulations are not a requirement on short circuits but anyone who races here regularly will tell you that the long, high speed sections will give problems that will not show up in a full season of short circuit racing.

1) Although it is a FIM and ACU requirement to have the split in the front brake lines at the lower fork clamp, we occasionally get a machine with the one brake line looping over the mudguard. There are people in the paddock who can change brake lines in half an hour and you will not miss any practice.

2) Brake callipers that have a brake pad pin held in by an R-clip (eg Brembo) then the end of the R-clip should have lockwire on the open end to stop it coming out. It has happened and the brake pads fell out! It is recommended that calliper bolts are lockwired. They have been known to come loose.

3) Tyres must be correctly fitted according to the rotation arrows.

4) Short valve stems are a must. The long rubber stems that are used on car wheels will deflect quite appreciably and must be changed. Long metal stems are OK.

5) Metal valve caps must be fitted. The valve core can lift off it’s seat on long, fast stretches and the rubber seal in the cap provides additional sealing against pressure loss. Please do not use the extractor type with the slot in the top as, should this come off, it could go through the tyre of the rider behind you. We normally have a supply of suitable valve caps in the bay to replace plastic ones.

6) Wheel spindle nuts and wheel spindles must be lockwired. There was a case at this year’s TT where a front spindle nut worked loose. Where the spindle is flush with the fork legs, lockwiring both pinch bolts on both fork legs is acceptable. Rear wheel spindles that are captive at one end do not require lockwire but the nut does. Spindles using a castellated nut and an R-clip must have lockwire or a cable tie on the open end to secure it.

7) Exhaust springs must be lockwired in such a way so that if the spring breaks, it is retained on the machine and does not go on to the road where it could be a problem for following riders.

8) Oil containment will be required at all times on modern machines so please keep a very close eye on the belly pan. Any holes must be repaired with fibreglass before the machine is allowed into parc ferme. The belly pan can be solid without drain holes but if drain holes have been drilled, rubber bungs must be fitted. Duct tape can be used only to hold the bungs in place and is not an acceptable repair.

9) The lower chainguard (or shark fin) must cover the point at which the chain runs on to rear sprocket. Moving the rear wheel back as far as possible to lengthen the wheelbase and the smaller sprocket used for TT course gearing means that the guard that is OK on short circuits will be a long way from a position where it is effective.

10) The MMCC supplies numbers so that they are consistent in size and format. This is so the marshals, spotters and timekeepers can readily identify the machines as they pass at high speed. Backgrounds are also supplied but painted backgrounds are acceptable providing that matt paint is used. Shiny backgrounds and a low sun make a bike coming down Glencrutchery Road look like it has a headlamp on! If it is not possible to put the number in the centre of the fairing then it should be on the right hand side when sitting on the machine. Side numbers can be on the fairing or belly pan if the seat unit is too small.

11) All riders are asked to pass through the bay before going out to practice. This is so we can check that identity discs are being worn and the correct helmet sticker is in place.

12) Metal toe or knee sliders are not allowed and anyone using them will be told to take them off. This is an ACU regulation and it will be enforced.

These are the most common problems that we have encountered over the years and if you are fortunate enough to have someone else wielding the spanners, please make them aware of the requirements.

If you have any comments or questions, I can be contacted through the Race Office.

Finally, I wish you all a safe and successful Manx Grand Prix.

Jeff Kirby
02-07-2008, 11:47 AM
thewitch
Unregistered

RE: Manx GP some good advice from Chief Technical Officer
Nice, helpful man. Good advice, generously given.
02-07-2008, 08:53 PM
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
One further R-clip that should be wired or cable-tied at its open end is that holding in the transponder.

Quite a few of these went walkabout in the pre-TT Classic in May - I suspect over the bumps in Ballabeg Village but hey - the Mountain still has some bumpy bits although not as many as I remember from 22 years ago

Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes
02-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Find Reply
smokey125 Offline

Threads: 7
All the usual things. Some I agree with some I don’t but that’s always personal opinion.

I notice there is no mention of the exhaust exit requirements that cargo said they would be checking this year. Any chance of confirming they will be enforcing this one cargo?

I'll finish it one day!
09-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Find Reply
Kenny Offline

Threads: 4
smokey125 Wrote:All the usual things. Some I agree with some I don’t but that’s always personal opinion.

I notice there is no mention of the exhaust exit requirements that cargo said they would be checking this year. Any chance of confirming they will be enforcing this one cargo?

They are enforcing exhaust exit, I had an email advising my K4 exhaust needed to be 'within the rules'.

Obviously now correctedsmilie
09-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Yes the exhaust exit rules will be enforced.............
09-07-2008, 10:49 AM
T-M Offline

Threads: 2
Strange that with most of the black flagging points being on right handers, and travelling marshals being mainly based at right handers to observe, the front number plate for air duct nosed machines is on the right?

It must be a devil of a job to spot numbers if a defect is noticed on a machine if the side plates on a seat are facing the sky when cranked over
14-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Yes, indeed... I was in Ramsey on 2005, and they black flagged a guy.... it appeared they got the wrong guy... or..? Dunno what happened in the end.... poor chap...

I am sitting at the airport in California.... the journey begins...

Cheers..!!

Ron
14-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Find Reply