Nissin radial calipers
Jeff Kirby Offline

Threads: 6
Nissin radial calipers
Last Sunday, at Jurby, we had a worrying incident concerning the radial calipers fitted to ZX6RR and GSXR600s. Each of these calipers has four separate brake pads and each pair is held in by one pin that is screwed in to the caliper body. One of these pins unscrewed itself and the pads fell out! As the rider was Keith Mackay, I know that poor machine preparation was not the cause. Keith also told me that he had applied Loctite! The Allen head is recessed into the caliper body and the other end is flush with the lug so lock-wiring is not possible. This also makes it very difficult for a scrutineer to check that the pins are tight. Keith has sourced a company that supplies these pins in Stainless Steel with a 8 mm hexagon already drilled for lock-wiring (Item number LSSPINBP011R for ZX6RR at http://www.tastynuts.com).
If your machine is fitted with these calipers, I would recommend fitting these pins when racing on the Mountain circuit.

Regards Jeff Kirby (Chief Technical Official)
01-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Nissin radial calipers
Jeff Kirby Wrote:If your machine is fitted with these calipers, I would recommend fitting these pins when racing on the Mountain circuit.

Regards Jeff Kirby (Chief Technical Official)

Or indeed anywhere??
01-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

I ordered some of these caliper pins today.
There is a freephone number for Probolt

Freephone: 0800 018 5500

And here they are

[Image: TIPINBP011RZOOMrename.jpg]
01-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Jeff Kirby Offline

Threads: 6
Quote:Or indeed anywhere??

Larry

I would agree but as Chief scrut for the Grand Prix, my main concern is for the well-being of the competitors in that event. I haven't heard of any recall of road bikes to have the original pins replaced so I can only assume that there isn't a problem in "normal" usage and, as far as I know, there wasn't a problem with these calipers at the TT but now we have had at least three cases at Jurby (see the Andreas web-site), I felt it was my duty to point out the possible problem to all competitors. We have a briefing next week and this will be one of the points that will be raised for special attention.

Jeff Kirby
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2008, 12:44 PM by Malcolm.)
02-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Find Reply
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
Hi Jeff, does this apply to thr rvf 400 as they have that little cap that holds the pin in. thanks
02-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

I think this problem has only occured on ZX6 and GSXR600 models with radial calipers.

Thats not to say that for peace of mind you could get the same caliper pins for other bikes as well.

The little caps you have on your bike are only intended to keep dust/dirt out

And don't forget ANY caliper pins that are held secure by R clips are required to have the open end of the clip lockwired.
02-08-2008, 09:26 AM
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
Jeff Kirby Wrote:Or indeed anywhere??

Quote:Larry

I would agree but as Chief scrut for the Grand Prix, my main concern is for the well-being of the competitors in that event. I haven't heard of any recall of road bikes to have the original pins replaced so I can only assume that there isn't a problem in "normal" usage and, as far as I know, there wasn't a problem with these calipers at the TT but now we have had at least three cases at Jurby (see the Andreas web-site), I felt it was my duty to point out the possible problem to all competitors. We have a briefing next week and this will be one of the points that will be raised for special attention.

Jeff Kirby

Point taken Jeff, but I meant racing anywhere!
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2008, 12:45 PM by Malcolm.)
02-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Find Reply
kmckay Offline

Threads: 1
The new pins took 2 days to arrive, they fit perfectly and they're now on the bike, securely
lockwired!

When I took the old pins out I noticed that after they snap free of the torque/loctite, they
do spin out very freely. So if one does come loose, you're going to lose it....
Ramsey, IoM
03-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Find Reply