Greenlight TV not filming the MGP
T-M Offline

Threads: 2
Greenlight TV not filming the MGP
Just been told that Greenlight have not been asked to film the MGP for the first time in 14yrs!

I'm unsure of the politics and who commissions the filming, but this is surely a dissapointment to many fans and riders alike. They didn't even get asked to cover the Southern, so no DVD's of either event available worldwide this year.

I assume it's the DTL who normally arrange this, I am really beginning to suspect a bit of a government plot to undermine the MMCC. It seems that the Motorsport development manager doesn't involve himself with assisting the MGP as far as I can see?

I wish I had a video record of when I was able to run near the front in the '80's.
14-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Find Reply
beepee Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Greenlight TV not filming the MGP
I think you may well be right T-M regarding the attitude of PP,it seems he has to be invited to take an interest in anything other than the TT although I may well be wrong.I also think you are correct in thinking that the MGP is an unnecessary event,to some people, because it only brings in a small return to the government.

How wrong can the powers that be, be.
14-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
I would hope this a simple omission rather than a conscious act. Yes I think there are agendas against the Manx in some quarters where there really shoudn't be, but I can't see there would be a desire to actually stop the fliming when this makes money.

I hope Greenlight won't take the lack of an invitation as a sign not to do it. There are still plenty of people who will be glad to buy their offering.
15-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Website Find Reply
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
....scone out to take photos!
06-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Find Reply
Kenny Offline

Threads: 4
Now that the TT TV production is agreed, and it looks good too, will there be an MGP DVD or coverage of any sort. I have sent a few emails to P Philips and even the production company but have not received a response.
Does anyone know anythingBonk
(This post was last modified: 17-02-2009, 07:33 PM by Kenny.)
17-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Find Reply
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39
Hi Kenny

I haven't received any e-mails from you. I answer all my e-mail correspondence within 24 hours ordinarily. Please re send your e-mail to paul.phillips@gov.im and I will get straight back to you.

Best wishes

Paul
17-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Find Reply
Kenny Offline

Paul Phillips Wrote:Hi Kenny

I haven't received any e-mails from you. I answer all my e-mail correspondence within 24 hours ordinarily. Please re send your e-mail to paul.phillips@gov.im and I will get straight back to you.

Best wishes

Paul

email sent forgot a . between paul and phillips smilie
17-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Find Reply
Kenny Offline

Kenny Wrote:Now that the TT TV production is agreed, and it looks good too, will there be an MGP DVD or coverage of any sort. I have sent a few emails to P Philips and even the production company but have not received a response.

Hummmmm sent email as requested but no reply received!!!!!!!!!!!!!smilie
20-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Find Reply
Kenny Offline

Kenny Wrote:
Kenny Wrote:Now that the TT TV production is agreed, and it looks good too, will there be an MGP DVD or coverage of any sort. I have sent a few emails to P Philips and even the production company but have not received a response.

Hummmmm sent email as requested but no reply received!!!!!!!!!!!!!smilie

Sent another email to Paul.......................BonkBonkBonk
25-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
I thought the image rights for the MGP were different to that of the TT. If they are the same then why can North One not do a slimmed down version, or better still use the technology that they are hoping to use in TT 2010 in the 09 MGP. It would be a very good time to test it to get any bugs cleared and sorted before it went t*ts up during the TT.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
26-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Find Reply
Kenny Offline

DCLUCIE Wrote:I thought the image rights for the MGP were different to that of the TT. If they are the same then why can North One not do a slimmed down version, or better still use the technology that they are hoping to use in TT 2010 in the 09 MGP. It would be a very good time to test it to get any bugs cleared and sorted before it went t*ts up during the TT.

Had an in depth email from Paul, however he doesnt want his email posting on here. He assures me he will be placing a response soon.
26-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Find Reply
Audrey McClements Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
(14-08-2008, 11:49 AM)T-M Wrote: Just been told that Greenlight have not been asked to film the MGP for the first time in 14yrs!

I'm unsure of the politics and who commissions the filming, but this is surely a dissapointment to many fans and riders alike. They didn't even get asked to cover the Southern, so no DVD's of either event available worldwide this year.

I assume it's the DTL who normally arrange this, I am really beginning to suspect a bit of a government plot to undermine the MMCC. It seems that the Motorsport development manager doesn't involve himself with assisting the MGP as far as I can see?

I wish I had a video record of when I was able to run near the front in the '80's.

In my humble opinion it's not right that the MGP is not being filmed as it attracts a load of bike enthusasts and also if it was filmed it would surly show more of the IOM again on telly which from i can percieve it was warmly greeted this year from the TT riders,friends and vistors who thought it was very well documented on, but hey thay's just my opinion
(This post was last modified: 14-08-2009, 12:56 PM by Audrey McClements.)
14-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Find Reply
ali Offline

Threads: 5
Was at the world premier last night for the S100 dvd, awesome racing and 3 1/2 hrs of excitement, you can pre order via the S100 website
15-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Find Reply
Mr B Offline

Threads: 3
Had an in depth email from Paul, however he doesnt want his email posting on here. He assures me he will be placing a response soon.
[/quote]

"Soon" meaning....?
21-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Find Reply
Kenny Offline

(21-08-2009, 09:31 AM)Mr B Wrote: Had an in depth email from Paul, however he doesnt want his email posting on here. He assures me he will be placing a response soon.

"Soon" meaning....?
[/quote]

It seems Paul uses the word soon when he means never, not good Paul not good atall. I stood by our agreement and didnt post your email on here as you promised an update. One of us did what was agreed!!!!!!
05-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Find Reply
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39
Hi Kenny (and everyone else interested in this subject)

I’m sorry not to have come back to you sooner on your query. A genuine oversight on my part. I don’t always get the chance to follow all of the TT related website forums as much as I’d like and the best way to get in touch with me is always via my work email address – paul.phillips@gov.im

The commercial values of the TT and the Manx Grand Prix are fundamentally different. The TT is able to generate more revenue than the Manx Grand Prix with larger value sponsorships and is heavily supported by the leading manufacturers.

The rights of the respective events are also different. The commercial rights to the TT are owned by the DTL and this extends to the Television rights. Not only are a number of the world’s leading broadcasters prepared to pay us to use the TT footage that we film but there is also a large global market for the official DVD’s. The revenue generated from both of these areas, as well as areas such as the download market, can therefore justify the cost of filming the event as we can cover filming costs and generate a return on the investment.

With regard to the Manx Grand Prix, the event is owned by the Manx Motor Cycle Club, which receives an annual budget from the Isle of Man Governments Department of Tourism and Leisure for running the event. The MMCC decide how that budget is spent. Based on the interest in the Manx Grand Prix it is unfortunately not currently commercially viable to film the event as it does not generate the money to cover the cost of filming and a significant subsidy would therefore be required to cover the shortfall.

In the past Greenlight Television have filmed the MGP and sold it either as part of their own magazine shows and also to Duke Video who have produced a DVD. The DTL have paid a small contribution to the filming costs but as costs for the MGP have risen, this money and further funds have been re-allocated instead into the essential areas associated with running the event.

We don’t have a bottomless pit of money and The Department of Tourism and Leisure is required to fund a number of events throughout the year, not just motor sport events. Furthermore, we have to focus the budget that we do have on the essential areas to ensure that the events take place.

Please come back to me via email if you have any further questions.

Best wishes

Paul Phillips
18-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

I was told that Greenlight filmed the MGP for free as a goodwill gesture for having the TT. Greenlight filmed the S100 this year and its the best DVD of that meeting to date. But if North One are doing such a fantastic job and creating loads of money for the TT then why cant some of this so called huge profit from the TT TV coverage be fed back into the MGP
18-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Find Reply
smokey125 Offline

Threads: 7
To be honest what he says makes sense it just depends how you want to look at it.

What would you prefer the option of buying a DVD or possibly have money invested in things to make life easier during the fortnight?

In my opinion (and I await the barrage of abuse over this comment) the DVD wasn’t worth the money when it was last available.

I'll finish it one day!
18-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

The DTL cant afford to film the MGP or make any improvements to the paddock, yet they can afford to pay out £13000-00 on bottled water for their staff and this is despite paying over £20million on a new water treatment facility that produces pure drinking water through the taps.
21-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Find Reply
ali Offline

Threads: 5
(21-09-2009, 05:25 PM)George Wrote: The DTL cant afford to film the MGP or make any improvements to the paddock, yet they can afford to pay out £13000-00 on bottled water for their staff and this is despite paying over £20million on a new water treatment facility that produces pure drinking water through the taps.
Going off topic sorry

I too buy bottled water, my tap water is undrinkable I even fill the kettle with the water from the hot tap. I think the water butt next to the green house must taste better than the water that comes out of my cold tap
22-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Find Reply