John Goodall R I P
eric Offline

Threads: 13
John Goodall R I P
A VETERAN rider has died following a crash in the Manx Grand Prix Senior Classic race on Monday evening.
John Goodall, 67, an engineer of Haverford West in Pembrokeshire, was airlifted to Noble's Hospital with serious chest and rib injuries after he came off his Matchless G50 classic motorcycle at Ballacraine on the opening lap.

Mr Goodall was this year's winner of the Spirit of the Manx award, having competed in every classic race at the MGP since he won the inaugural Senior Classic 25 years ago
26-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

RE: John Goodall R I P
John was one of the nicest men to race at the Manx Grand Prix. Immaculate, with meticulously prepared and kept machinery, he was truly the Spirit of the Manx Grand Prix.
Marshalls will all miss him, as he always noticed us and waved his thanks. As the gentleman he was, he would not have done less.
My heart goes out to Rose, his family and friends. He will be very sadly missed.
26-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
[Image: 138.jpg]

I am sure the iomguide will not mind me stealing this photo of John Goodall at Ballacraine.

"But, in conclusion, with no failings hid:
A gentleman, no matter what he did."
Caroline Duer
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
26-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Find Reply
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
Don Simons Wrote:"But, in conclusion, with no failings hid:
A gentleman, no matter what he did."
Caroline Duer

Very well said, Don.
a sad loss indeed.
26-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I'm so glad that, just a few days ago, John was told how much he was respected and loved by the Manx Grand Prix community, when he was guest of honour at the Spirit of the Manx ceremony.
No-one could express more, by his behaviour, style and racing talent, the philosphy of the Manx.
26-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12
Well how impressive can you get 67 years old, collecting the old ag pension and lapping at 103 MPH.

A great tragedy and sad loss to thee port

My sympathy to his family and friends.
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
26-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26
All I can add is that John and I, Gail and David,are at a loss.He did what he loved for so long, such a tragedy that it had to end like this.Our thoughts are with all his family and friends
26-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
Hilary M Wrote:All I can add is that John and I, Gail and David,are at a loss.He did what he loved for so long, such a tragedy that it had to end like this.Our thoughts are with all his family and friends

RIP John one of the most repected MGP riders.
Roll on Kells 2010
26-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
thewitch Wrote:I'm so glad that, just a few days ago, John was told how much he was respected and loved by the Manx Grand Prix community, when he was guest of honour at the Spirit of the Manx ceremony.
No-one could express more, by his behaviour, style and racing talent, the philosphy of the Manx.

Well said. We have lost a good friend, a talented racer, a great ambassador for the sport and a true gentleman. His family have lost even more and my heart goes out to them.
27-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Website Find Reply
Carole Offline
Multi tasker

Threads: 4
John WAS the spirit of the Manx- we will all miss him, what a terrible loss. Thinking of your Family and Friends at this very sad time.

R.I.P John, keep that wonderful smile lit.
Life's too short- live it to the max and enjoy yourselves
27-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Website Find Reply
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141
27-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Website Find Reply
andy21aa Offline

Threads: 6
Road Racing has lost a great rider and ambassador, the world has lost one of the last true gentlemen. The Manx will never be the same again.

RIP John
27-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Find Reply
David Linsdell Offline

Threads: 1
John was one of th most noticeable and universally liked members of the paddock - and one of the Manx riders that I have admired most. We were all absolutely gutted when we heard the news, and we still are.

R.I.P John - My sympathy goes out to your family and friends.
28-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Find Reply
Shaun Harris Offline

Threads: 48
RIP JOHN, respect for your efforts
I can fix anything!
29-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Find Reply
Dave-M Offline

Threads: 2
The Manx Classic senior has lost it's main man R.I.P John
29-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Find Reply
nicijay Offline

Threads: 0
Very very sad, our thoughts are with John's family and friends.

RIP John
30-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Find Reply
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141
i have had a few e mails from persons, who have been unable to see this through my link, so here it is;

Last night I put up a few photos from yesterdays event, however, I purposely kept a couple out, with the intention of honouring someone when I returned home to night,
Sadly, the person in question, John Goodall, crashed heavily on the opening lap of yesterdays Senior Manx Grand Prix, with injuries which he would not recover from.
I didn’t know of this until to day, when a friend of mine, JoeWright, texted me with the words;
“JOHN GOODALL has passed on, to join the others in the Race in the Sky”
To say I was Gutted would be an understatement, my heart sank, to the ordinary road race supporter, John Goodall, may not have been a name on the tip of their lips, but to me, JOHN GOODALL, was one of my heroes in Classic Racing.(the other being Denis Gallagher)

[Image: BB333.jpg]
As those who know me, I have followed the sport for many years, but it wasn’t until the year 2000, that I eventually got myself over to the Manx Grand Prix.
Whilst I enjoyed the few days I was there, it was the thrill and excitement of the Classic Races that caught my attention, and also, I saw John Goodall in action for the first time.
I reacalled many years ago, when I was younger, and when Motor Cycle News, was as its title stated!, there were pages of reports from the MGP, and I remember seeing pictures of John Goodall, winning the Senior MGP. I couldn’t believe , how fast this guy was, so many years later!, But what really grabbed me, was his style!, He raced with his bike, no knees out, no hanging off, the Black leathers, open face helmet, the ingredients of a pure classic racer.
[Image: Bb367.jpg]
The following year, if my memory serves me correctly, the prize giving was in the now defunct Summerland, and it was here, that I first met the man in person.
I told him, how I admired his competiveness, so many years on, his style etc, and congratulated him on his result that day..
He seemed somewhat overwhelmed, that a younger person, had given him the compliments, he told me, that he worked on the bikes himself, all the time, he didn’t have time for any fancy tuning, and I think he told me, that up to that time, that he had finished every MGP he had started in!, Now that alone was an impressive achievement. I also passed a comment on his Chain of Badges, the MGP Supporters Club badge, with the continous chain, for each year, he jokingly told me, that’s how I count the no of years I have raced at the Manx! Maybe I am wrong, but I think he told me, that he first raced at the manx in the seventies! I stand to be corrected here. After this we went our separate ways.
Over the past years since, I have been back to watch the MGP, Maybe not for a full week, but at least to take in the Practices and Senior Classic event. Through this website, you will have seen photos of John, and I am sure, the comments I made with each photo, would have told you, that I held this man in high esteem.
Only a few years ago, when Ryan Farquhar first completed in the classic Manx GP, I jokingly told him, to watch out for this old timer, he is no slouch!, and Ryan admitted he followed him in practice, and learned a lot from him, and when John Burrows made his Classic debut last year, I pointed John Goodall out to him in the paddock, and told him, that if you keep close enough to him, you wont be far away!, Joni B told me afterwards, that he was amazed at his speed and smoothness, and like Ryan, managed to follow him for a bit, and learned a lot.
Yesterday, I had a few words with John on the starting line, before I made my way to Quarter Bridge for the race, I congratulated him, on Being Awarded the SPIRIT of the Manx, something, he richly deserved, the time he has given to others over the past, what 25 years at the MGP, his consistency, and top results since he began racing over the mountain circuit, is a epitome to others.
He Thanked me, I wished him all the best, and he just said, “we will do our best”
Little did I know, that minutes later, motor cycle racing, and Classic racing in particular were to loose one of its finest heroes.
John Goodall crashed at Ballacraine on the opening lap of the Senior MGP, and sustained injuries, which he succumbed to later.
[Image: Bb366.jpg]
To his wife Rose, and family circle, I offer my deepest sympathies.

JOHN GOODALL , Thanks for the Memories.

RIP.

Baylon

http://www.irishracephotography.com
(This post was last modified: 31-08-2008, 10:11 PM by Baylon McCaughey.)
31-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Website Find Reply
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
What a wonderful tribute, Baylon.
Thank you for sharing it.
Boakesey
31-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Find Reply
Joe Stephens Offline

Great tribute for a Great Man.

If anyone has the funeral date that would be much appreciated as my Father will attend it.

RIP John.
01-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Find Reply
ancient Offline

i like you baylon ,you must be the real thing.the tragedy is that as you would expect of john he made no mistake,but found some oil.
01-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Find Reply