2008 Manx
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
2008 Manx
First time I've had an opportunity to pen a few notes on this year's Manx. After 8 days there, the first sunshine we saw was a beautiful sunset with the Island silhouetted,AS WE SAILED BACK TO HEYSHAM!!Honestly in 55 years I have NEVER known the weather so consistently miserable. It made the whole event tough for the organisers, the spectators, the marshals, and most importantly, the riders. You had to see the grass day paddock, and the camp site to believe it. To say that the paddock is an International paddock, well, words fail me. I've seen better conditions at a winter trial in darkest Yorkshire. I gather the showers weren't up to much either, so if you camped in the paddock this year, you have my sympathy!
Moving on.....the racing was pretty good. I had the misfortune to be watching at Windy when Michael Wheldon crashed. My goodness, he was a lucky lad. It was good to see Doc Peter Moran go straight into action, he was with him in seconds.
Sadly John Goodall was not so fortunate. I am so very sad that we have lost John, a fine man, a terrific rider, a dogged competitor,and a true legend at the Manx. I offer my sympathy to his family. We always seem to go on after a tragedy, but doesn't become any easier. R.I.P.John.
The MGP committee issued all interested parties with a questionnaire about the future of the Manx. I'll make a seperate thread, and post the questions if nobody else does it in the meantime. In my opinion,the main reason for the drop in entries in the current economic climate. Anyway, we'll see what gems the rest of the forum come up with.
I was delighted to meet "Eric" on the Friday afternoon. There I was playing golf with Sara at Glen Truan (Bride) and this Buggy with Eric on board, comes across especially to inform me that the race was going ahead at 6.00pm, and as I was doing the Parade Lap, shouldn't I be legging it back to Douglas? Well the race didn't go ahead after all in the evening, but it WAS very kind of Eric to make the effort, and it was good to put another face to a name.
I heard today that the decision not to race at lunchtime was deemed the worst decision the Clerk of the Course made the whole fortnight. I also heard that it wasn't his fault, and that the races were very nearly cancelled there and then with no Senior or Lightweight. I was so pleased for Phil Taubman that he did eventually get the races away, I bet he slept soundly on Saturday night! Phil did a great job in his first year as Clerk of the Course, and think he has the respect of the riders and the other officials.
For the Classic Parade I had the great honour of being loaned the Seeley G50 belonging to Keith Dixon of Accrington. Keith is a very good friend of mine, but I CAN tell you that he doesn't lend his personal bike lightly, and to have the use of his "baby" for a lap of the Mountain Course, was a real privilege. The machine was beautifully put together, and a joy to ride. Thank you once again Keith.
Sadly the parade was not well supported, and spoiled a little by the stupid ACU ruling, which meant we had to follow a Pace Car at 70mph.It was a little like playing tortoise and the hare since thoroughbred racing bikes don't like touring at 70mph, however in the end I'm sure we all enjoyed it, and I would like to thank the Manx Club for organising the Parade, they could just as easily have not bothered.
In closing, another Manx passes by with our emotions stretched in every way. From the joy of witnessing Dan Kneen's historic rides, to the deep despair of losing John G, we return home to our daily trudge, vowing to return next year. And we will.
03-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Find Reply
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
RE: 2008 Manx
NickJ Wrote:For the Classic Parade I had the great honour of being loaned the Seeley G50 belonging to Keith Dixon of Accrington. Keith is a very good friend of mine, but I CAN tell you that he doesn't lend his personal bike lightly, and to have the use of his "baby" for a lap of the Mountain Course, was a real privilege. The machine was beautifully put together, and a joy to ride. Thank you once again Keith.
Sadly the parade was not well supported, and spoiled a little by the stupid ACU ruling, which meant we had to follow a Pace Car at 70mph.It was a little like playing tortoise and the hare since thoroughbred racing bikes don't like touring at 70mph, however in the end I'm sure we all enjoyed it, and I would like to thank the Manx Club for organising the Parade, they could just as easily have not bothered.

We nearly missed the Classic Parade as no-one knew when it was happening!
I'd turned round to ask one of the marshals if they'd heard anything on Tetra and heard what I thought was the inspection car coming towards us.
Luckily I had a camera in my hand as it passed, followed closely by the first batch of classic machines. We were all caught napping as we expected a 10-15 minute gap before they were set off. Hey ho! It obviously made sense to let them off asap after the last race.

Anyway, I think this is you (Nick) - I've not been able to get a list of confirmed riders and machines from the parade lap, so if anyone's got one they can post, I'd be very grateful.

[Image: img0218zn1.jpg]

Boakesey
....scone out to take photos!
03-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Find Reply
eric Offline

Threads: 13
Nick
after seeing you at Glen Truan on Friday we got to thinking about running a charity golf match in TT Practice week or race week to raise funds for Rob Vine fund/mgp helicopter fund
Would you be intrested and if so can you get a few riders or ex riders who play golf to enter.
I will do all the organising if you can get us a few names to play
Let me know also enyone else reading this if you want to be in it get in touch on here pm me or e mail eric_corkish@manx.net
maybe we can make some money for the charities but also have a good day out any ideas welcome
03-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

eric Wrote:Nick
after seeing you at Glen Truan on Friday we got to thinking about running a charity golf match in TT Practice week or race week to raise funds for Rob Vine fund/mgp helicopter fund
Would you be intrested and if so can you get a few riders or ex riders who play golf to enter.
I will do all the organising if you can get us a few names to play
Let me know also enyone else reading this if you want to be in it get in touch on here pm me or e mail eric_corkish@manx.net
maybe we can make some money for the charities but also have a good day out any ideas welcome
04-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Whoops, pressed wrong button!
Anyway, thanks for the photo Boakesey, Keith would love that if I could get a proper copy. Don't show it to the MGP committee, I'm nearly up to 70 there!!
Anyway, Eric that's a great idea, though Glen Truan was too hard for me, Sara beat me! She's off 36, and really enjoyed the course, I'm off 11, and found it really difficult. Only joking, Rob Vine was a good friend of mine, and I always try especially hard to support anything of his. Forgot to mention that Roy Richardson and Peter Simpson did a great job organising a golf day last week to raise money for the helicopter fund (bet Michael Wheldon appreciates the helicopter, and that pilot really knew how to fly!)
Eric I would definitely support any golf day, and I'll help you spread the word. All the usual suspects would probably turn out, Steve Parrish, Charlie Williams, Bernard Murray, and Rob McElnea are a few to mind. It won't be a dull day if that lot play, I can assure you.
04-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Find Reply