thewitch
Unregistered

How about a motorsports museum??
04-09-2008, 10:07 AM
FC
Unregistered

RE: How about a motorsports museum??
thewitch Wrote:http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Planners-...4452338.jp

It would be a nice idea, but the cost to set up and run would not make it pay. Something like this needs visitors all year not just twice a year. It may be worth offering the building to a private collector as a secure unit at a peppercorn rent. I have visited a private collection in Ireland that will out do any other museum and is not open to the Public.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2008, 11:00 AM by Malcolm.)
04-09-2008, 10:37 AM
T-M Offline

Threads: 2
It could certainly be an all year attraction, particularly weekends during winter and manned by enthusiastic volunteers who know their stuff. People like that make things work!

I think many collectors would love the opportunity to have their bikes/cars displayed and looked after for no cost.

It's something that is sadly missing from an Island with such an important place in motorsporting history and is something that could be enjoyed by locals and visitors alike.

Who knows, it may be just what is needed to get local people enthusiastic about our heritage again, and I'm sure that it could be done for a lot less than previous government estimates, providing the building was given over at a peppercorn rent. (Not sure the Red Cross hall is the right building though, too small and not in a prominent position) It would be an asset and a great attraction, god knows we are short of them in the tourism sector.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2008, 01:15 PM by T-M.)
04-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

T-M Wrote:It could certainly be an all year attraction, particularly weekends during winter and manned by enthusiastic volunteers who know their stuff. People like that make things work!

I think many collectors would love the opportunity to have their bikes/cars displayed and looked after for no cost.

It's something that is sadly missing from an Island with such an important place in motorsporting history and is something that could be enjoyed by locals and visitors alike.

Who knows, it may be just what is needed to get local people enthusiastic about our heritage again, and I'm sure that it could be done for a lot less than previous government estimates, providing the building was given over at a peppercorn rent. (Not sure the Red Cross hall is the right building though, too small and not in a prominent position) It would be an asset and a great attraction, god knows we are short of them in the tourism sector.

And how many bikes would be needed and at what cost and from where do you get them?
04-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
I feel a motorsport museum would be best run by Manx National Heritage. They have the infrastructure and expertise to manage exhibits in a professional manner, with everything insured, collated etc. After all, their remit is to preserve the nation's heritage.

"And how many bikes would be needed and at what cost and from where do you get them?"

There are a great number of machines on this Island with a TT/MGP provenence, the owners would be happy to have them displayed in a properly maintained museum. The Carl Fogarty Yamaha which was involved in the great dice with Hizzy on the Norton resides in the north of the island.

Can we put an offer on the Ramsey Swimming Pool which is soon to be made redundant?

Better still, compulsory purchase the B&Q building at Spring Valley, big car park where you could run racers up (no neighbours) room to put a mezzanine floor all the way across - perfick!
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
04-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Website Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
Heritage museums do not make a profit. They are there to attract tourists not to rip them off. Once they are on the Island the tourist dollars flow. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. With no rent and staffed by enthusiasts it would be a must-see visit for all motorsports tourists coming to the IOM especially on those rainy days. The IOM is the birthplace of motorcycle road racing and it badly needs a shrine. There is money in pilgrims.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
06-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

The IOM tourist Board is in turmoil at the moment, senior staff have disappeared ??????????? Its Minister removed ???????? . As it stands the DTL can not even attract seagulls to the Island outside TT week so why spend vast amounts of money on a venture that will lose money and upset the Locals yet again. This idea should have been put in place many years ago, a deal could have been done with manufacturers and teams where any winning bike at the TT or MGP should be offered to the island at a agreed price, but like everything else with the Government they cant think for themselves.

So get used to it, it will never happen, remember Murry,s Museum it went tits up.
06-09-2008, 12:25 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

The House of Manannan and Castle Rushen seem to be doing ok, and the Manx Museum has lots of new exhibitions. Cregneash village has been celebrating recently, and the Victorian House at Ramsey is very popular.
We have several busloads of people here in Castletown today, and that's the norm.
With weather the way it is this year, the biggest draw is our heritage and the numerous, delightful MNH sites.
Eat at the Sound Cafe (Commended just this week by the Daily telegraph as one of the best in the British Isles), smilie Dinner at the Niarbyl Cafe... top class cuisine and sunsets to die for... Yahoothe secrets of the Nautical Museum, or vote for motorcycle racing at the Old Parliament House....smilie
Still room for a Motorsport Museum, which could recognise the TT Manx Grand Prix, Geoff Duke, David Knight, our rally stars, the part played in motor racing by the Island etc etc... currently there is an exhibition across celebrating the original motor races here... the beginnings of Grand Prix, it says... that could have been held here if we had the facility.
On one hand, Colin, you say we have nothing to offer, and on the other you say we shouldn't invest in anything.Doom and gloom.....smilie
We have lots, but we can always do with more.
http://www.gov.im/MNH/
06-09-2008, 12:55 PM
FC
Unregistered

We had Murry,s Museum, what happened to that, Crosby Motor Museum is that still open. For the IOM Government to go out and spend more money on a Motor Museum will anger the Locals. The Island is in great need of a facility to take kids on rainy days when off school or weekends, they had a place in summerland but thats gone.
There is only so much money to go round, it has to be shared and we have to be realistic the tourist trade is finished here. Historic machines cost £1000s to buy and look after, a museum has to have a steady stream of visitors day in to cover the vast costs of running and investing, the island can not provide that as a stand alone unit.
Once again this is an other issue which you say is negative, wrong its a fact of life. The Tourist industry here had the opportunity years ago to re-invest in itself but did not, like most things here the attitude was if its not broke don't fix it.
Now if motor racing fans were to shout out lets build a facility to keep the younger generation of the streets. a place bursting with fun that the whole family could take part in then there could be room for a limited exhibition scattered about the facility. Such facility could be achieved if enough though and location was put into it and my preferred site would be somewhere near the NSC or within the area. We already have a good sports facility in the NSC and my own opinion there is room for more.
If the Government were to buy historic machines these machines could be located through out the leisure facility also other historic sporting items could be included. A bar, nice restaurants cafes, shops and theatre all at this facility would be a draw for visitors and locals alike. While visiting the facility they could take part in sport, leave the kids to have fun. meet up for a drink. a meal, a show, take a look at the various exhibits on permanent show. There could always be room to house visiting exhibitions, conferences ect. Something like this would create jobs and the possiblity to meet the running costs and at the same time keep everybody happy.
Something else that is missed here on the island is a facility for mini moto, now that was promised years ago by Mr Cretney.
Helen we must wake up and smell the coffee, the island is not just about motor bike racing, its part of our heritage and does deserve some protection.
06-09-2008, 06:25 PM
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
What about a partnership with eg. the (UK) National Motorcycle Museum (the one that's in Coventry) http://www.nationalmotorcyclemuseum.co.uk/ ?

It might be possible to get lottery funding towards them/us setting up and/or running a satellite museum here on the Island?

I am sure it's worth considering. Thing is, would the IoM DTL or whichever bit of the "government" that would handle it, be prepared to work with the folks from the adjacent island on this?

Just an idea - feedback welcome....
....scone out to take photos!
06-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
I am getting a bit confused, does Colin want one or not?

"It is hard enough
to remember
my opinions,
without also
remembering
my reasons for them!"

Friedrich Nietzsche
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
07-09-2008, 02:27 AM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Don Simons Wrote:
I am getting a bit confused, does Colin want one or not?

"It is hard enough
to remember
my opinions,
without also
remembering
my reasons for them!"

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quite simply Don it would be nice to have something, but as part of another facility, like the one I suggested. It has to be self supporting or part of a venture that is
07-09-2008, 07:24 AM