Question from some marshalls
thewitch
Unregistered

RE: Question from some marshalls
Thing is Colin, if you were not there yourself, it's just hearsay... let them fight their own battles.
I don't think it's realistic to pay marshals, especially at the Manx, and I, for one, don't want paid. It's my contribution to the sport I love, supporting the people I love watching. I'm happy, if a bit worn out after all that weather!
We all get feedback forms... tell 'em to use those. If you won't speak up, you just have to shut up.
05-09-2008, 09:19 PM
FC
Unregistered

OK Helen, how about this for an idea.

The DTL put several prizes up of a couple of weeklong trips all paid to say a Spanish GP, Macau, Daytona, and to qualify for the prize a Marshall would receive a draw ticket for every session they attended. It would not cost the DTL a penny as most Tourist Departments receive free-Be Holidays.
Attend 10 sessions get 10 chances to win a Holiday for two.
05-09-2008, 09:29 PM
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
FC Wrote:OK Helen, how about this for an idea.

The DTL put several prizes up of a couple of weeklong trips all paid to say a Spanish GP, Macau, Daytona, and to qualify for the prize a Marshall would receive a draw ticket for every session they attended. It would not cost the DTL a penny as most Tourist Departments receive free-Be Holidays.

Took you one hell of a long time to get to the commonsense bit,Colin!

smilie
05-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Like that idea, Colin... I'd even be willing to try to recruit Rossi for the TT, if I won!
05-09-2008, 10:25 PM
cargo
Unregistered

Great idea Colin.....and I'm sure if you run it past your MHK and the DTL they'll be delighted to take it onboard.

BTW my inbox has two new messages.................both from E-Bay Bonk
06-09-2008, 07:14 AM
thewitch
Unregistered

I'm sure some of the big teams would be happy to donate a day at a BSB... they often give that for charity auctions etc. Whoever are the major sponsors of the TT... Pokerstars or whoever, could be asked to put something up... all comes out of their marketing/advertising budget.
At TT time we did have daily draws for things like jackets, etc and I think IOMSPC put up sailings too, but the MGP didn't get anything like that. Maybe the TTMA needs to work with the DTL to spread the donations, and to increase the number.
One of the things lacking is a substantial benefit to local marshals and one or two have mentioned it in conversation. Why can't we also have a discount at IOMSPC... so we can go across and come back... just cos we live here doesn't mean we haven't made sacrifices, and we do occasionally venture out into the scary world on the other side!
06-09-2008, 07:51 AM
FC
Unregistered

The reason behind the idea is based on that not all marshalls have partners that are keen on racing and for a marshall to give up so much time and or use up holidays should have the chance to be rewarded and given the chance to take their partners off to a sunny destination.
06-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
I have been approached by 300,000 Japanese motorcycle enthusiasts and they have asked me to voice their strong objections to the IOM government. They selected me because I am a complete air head and will do anything for a dare or a free beer. They have asked me that none of the 300,000 wish to be named on here as their employers may find out that they have been causing foreign relations problems. Their complaints are specifically that all signs on the IOM are in English or Manx, there is no Japanese anywhere. Their view is that they have made all the bikes racing there for the last 50 years so they should be given some sort of recognition. Virtually no hotel or pub on the IOM serves warm sake or raw fish, again this amounts to beverage and food discrimination. This is nothing to do with me I am a disinterested bystander who just happened to have a few too many and agreed to write a stirring post for this nameless, inarticulate throng of malcontents.
[Image: 610x.jpg]
We Love Colin. We Love Colin.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
06-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Find Reply
Kenny Offline

Threads: 4

Fantastic idea. Plus how about each competitor adds £5 to his/her entry to fund such a holiday.

I know I know blindfold is ready
08-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Kenny Wrote:

Fantastic idea. Plus how about each competitor adds £5 to his/her entry to fund such a holiday.

Competitors pay enough as it is, it should be funded by the DTL, as I said the DTL will be like most travel agents they get free holidays as promotions.

Week for to at Daytona races inc digs, flights and car less than £1000 from IOM.
Spanish GP weeks holiday for two,inc flights, digs. tickets and coach to track about £800. vip trip = http://www.motoexpress.co.uk/valencia_motogp.htm
NW200 same as above for about £500
so it not expensive. And I'm 100% sure that if the airlines or steam packet were approached in the right way a lot more could be done for the Marshall's and families. The way I see it is No Marshalls No Racing, No Racing No spectators, No spectators the IOMSP and airlines are in the poosmilie
08-09-2008, 05:26 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

I vote that Colin becomes the fundraising manager for the marshals... he has talked me into it... some very good ideas, Colin.
08-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Kenny Offline

FC Wrote:
Kenny Wrote:

Competitors pay enough as it is, it should be funded by the DTL, as I said the DTL will be like most travel agents they get free holidays as promotions.

Week for to at Daytona races inc digs, flights and car less than £1000 from IOM.
Spanish GP weeks holiday for two,inc flights, digs. tickets and coach to track about £800. vip trip = http://www.motoexpress.co.uk/valencia_motogp.htm
NW200 same as above for about £500
so it not expensive. And I'm 100% sure that if the airlines or steam packet were approached in the right way a lot more could be done for the Marshall's and families. The way I see it is No Marshalls No Racing, No Racing No spectators, No spectators the IOMSP and airlines are in the poosmilie

You said it yourself. A fiver is not too much is it?. If just one race or practice was lost due to lack of marshalls how many competitors would be waving such a fiver if it meant time on the course. Yes the entry is expensive (but relative) the MGP/TT would be lost without the marshalls support. Support them how they support us.

Now standing against the wall, blindfold secure, just awaiting the first shot
08-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Stand Fast, that man!
08-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
Since the IOM is self governing and low tax, it would not be impossible for them to run a lottery (the TT Treasure) after the prizes and admin costs they could build a permanent TT museum, a community centre for wayward youth and have some left over to hand out a few bonus prizes for the overworked marshals (except Gorse Lea who are already well rewarded with cakes and sticky buns). Stuff like petrol vouchers, Steam Packet tickets or as Colin rightly says something for the long suffering partners which has nothing to do with motorcycle road racing.

Tickets £5 pounds each £200,000 tickets = £1 million
-£100,000 for lottery administration = £900,000
-£50,000 for maintenance on heritage buildings (the govt. already own some) = £850,000
-£200,000 staffing and set up costs 1 year = £650,000
-£50,000 gifts for marshals = £600,000
-£300,000 for trust fund for permanent income for museum and youth centre = £300,000
-£200,000 for lottery prize winners = £100,000 left over for consolidated revenue (black tie dinners you know the sort of thing they like).

If it were launched on the internet as well as at both the Manx and the TT then ticket sales of 200,000 is not impossible. If one were run every year for 10 years the trust fund would = £ 3 million earning at least £200,000 PA so the museum and youth centre would be self funding. You could always save money by paying Bill Snelling and John Foster peppercorn salaries to run them.

Increased tourism and reduced crime they couldn't go wrong.

[Image: manx-fiver.jpg]
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
09-09-2008, 06:29 AM
Find Reply
Kenny Offline

Count me in.

Just a question, are the marshalls association allowed to receive donations?

If so how is this achieved!

'Peeking over the blindfold no shots as yet'
09-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

I have a suspision that the TTMA is some sort of registered charity but not 100% certain.

Either way I very much doubt that they would turn down any sort of contribution............a cheque in the post would be fine.

There was a lottery on the IOM long before the UK had one but soon after the UK started the local IOM ceased to operate.
I will ask if the TTMA have applied for lottery funding.

The TTMA have their own website here

http://www.iomttma.com/index.php

And a discussion forum here

http://www.ttmaforum.co.uk/
09-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
Sorry I may be changing the subject slightly, but wasn't it wonderful to see all the people who put their hand up to marshal on the Saturday. Out of every bad situation I always look for something good and I thank everyone who did that to enable me to watch an event which I travelled a long way to see. Good stuff, I say.
09-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Better than good Jan

What happened on both Friday and Saturday was nothing short of heroic.....................
09-09-2008, 11:31 AM
thewitch
Unregistered

Frankly, I think it was magic... I was waiting for someone, wearing my marshals tabard and a witch's hat (don't ask) and 7 people came up to me asking if I was recruiting marshals, so I marched them all round there.
There were so many people they had to set up a table outside the office, and ass both computers were running at the same time, if the same key was struck on both keyboards, the whole lot folded! The staff and directors were amazing.
09-09-2008, 12:24 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

I can't see any problem about the marshal's accepting donations... indeed one team raised about £500 and the beer tent staff about that too. Just send it to the TTMA, or ring them and ask how they want it done.
09-09-2008, 12:26 PM