IoM on't telly Sunday
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
IoM on't telly Sunday
http://www.iomtt.com/News/2008/09/04/Isl...on-TV.aspx

Sunday at 8pm on BBC2 - Charley Boorman: Ireland to Sydney, by any means..

Episode 1 (of 6) features a 10 minute segment about the IoM and the TT.

Sounds interesting.

If anyone can record it for me, I'd be very grateful, as I'd like to take it into school to show the kids. (BBC iPlayer is blocked in school - can't think why...) smilie

Regards.

Boakesey
....scone out to take photos!
05-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

RE: IoM on't telly Sunday
I'll try, Boakesey..my TV has a video recorder built in.... got to find a tape...
05-09-2008, 10:27 PM
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14
Video?
Tape?
Explain Helen, what are these archaic items smilie
Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
06-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

This is the Isle of Man, Russ!!
06-09-2008, 11:05 AM
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
thewitch Wrote:This is the Isle of Man, Russ!!

watched it last night in my opion brilliant
Roll on Kells 2010
08-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
thewitch Wrote:This is the Isle of Man, Russ!!

It maybe the Isle of Man Helen but I have a DVD player/burner attached so I can record off Sky + ..... he he he. It's not steam driven though unlike your TV Bonk Yahoo Yahoo smilie smilie

I am sure it is repeated as I missed it so if I can record it off Sky then I will. Hope this helps the people who have dragged themselves into the 21st century smilie
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
08-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Gadget man!!Evil New fangled widgets!smiliesmilie
08-09-2008, 01:43 PM
cargo
Unregistered

I only saw the end of last nights show and so missed the bit with the IOM and Ireland for that matter...............

All I saw was Charlie getting off the ferry in Liverpool
One wonders how he rated the Steam P®acket ?

Anyone know if here is a repeat ?

And somebody tell Sky to put a programme search facility into the TV menu
08-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26
We enjoyed it too,they are totally mad though
08-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Find Reply
maggie Offline

Threads: 7
Wednesday night, BBC2 at 20 past 11. Repeat.
08-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

maggie Wrote:Wednesday night, BBC2 at 20 past 11. Repeat.

Cheers Maggie,

I will Sky + it and do copies for anyone interested, may do a series link so get the whole lot, so if you want a copy i am obviously going to say no to any request you PM me due to copywrite laws.... smilie Bonk
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2008, 12:06 PM by DCLUCIE.)
09-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Watched the repeat tonight. The Isle of Man received excellent coverage tonight, (Wednesday). The programme is terrific if you're into bikes, and I enjoyed the coverage Charlie gave the TT, but one thing bugs me, and it has bugged me before. Does anyone else consider that Richard Quayle glorifies his Ballaspur accident? I mean here we are fighting opposition to our beloved races from all quarters, and one of the guys attempting to "promote" the races is stood at Ballaspur with Charlie milking every horrific moment of his crash, clearly highlighting the dangers of motorcycle racing. I have had the misfortune to have five accidents around the TT course, and I certainly wouldn't expect to glorify them, although I do admit , it does get mentioned when I commentated on "On Bike 1", in the context of the lap.
But in Quayle's moment of glory on a national TV channel you would think he could keep quiet, and promote the event with good grace and dignity. That honour fell to Geoff Duke and John McGuiness, two riders for whom I have the highest regard, and without peers in their respective eras.
Is it me? Am I being too sensitive? Don't think so. Anyone else got an opinion?
11-09-2008, 12:23 AM
Find Reply
Jeff Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
I am fairly certain Milky wasn't in a position to tell the people behind the broadcast what he wanted them to show! Surely you don't seriously believe that Nick? He will have been asked about his crash which many people have seen before, and as ever, despite being seriously hurt in it, he was able to speak positively and passionately about the TT.

I've witnessed Milky in action in recent years and been helped out by him in the paddock. I don't think I have seen anyone in that area in all the years I have been attending the TT work so hard and so selflessly. I saw him putting up fences, laying road, painting railings, giving out water, sweeping the grid as when the riders were leaving the line for the Superstock race and best of all he was out with a shovel the night before the Billown races race getting all the weeds up of the startline just to name a few instances.

I think you are being too sensitive Nick as well as a little narrow-minded and unfair towards a true supporter of the TT.
11-09-2008, 01:00 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Fair enough Jeff, that's why I asked whether it was me being too sensitive. I'm not denying his talent or his work ethos. However I have seen this video or more than one occasion, and I am wondering how much damage it does with the general public. I would never criticise it for being shown to an audience of motor cyclists. Anyway, it is still my opinion, and you are free to express yours, and I respect that.
11-09-2008, 01:13 AM
Find Reply
Jeff Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
NickJ Wrote:I have seen this video or more than one occasion, and I am wondering how much damage it does with the general public.

You had better talk to Greenlight then Nick as they hold the clip and have been responsible for distributing it. Surely you don't think for a second in between working in a garage, driving taxis and working on the TT Milky has the time, knowledge or ability to syndicate video footage he doesn't own to TV companies?
11-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Maybe fair enough to say that Jeff, and thus I'm surprised that he had time in his busy schedule to travel to Ballaspur with Mr Boorman and explain in detail exactly what happened in the accident!! Just how long did that take out of his day? Well TV companies don't do anything in 10 minutes. And he if wished to be disassociated with the minutiae of the programme, then he could have made a choice.
My r/h man came in this morning, and said exactly the same as me, i.e. "what's that doing on BBC TV?" He doesn't know Richard,and has no axe to grind. I too have no axe to grind, I just think that this sequence was best left out of the programme, and he is a paid employee of the DTL,(I believe) and thus ill advised to "promote" the TT in this way. I think you will find that quite a few will share my opinion, and that's all it is, an opinion.
11-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I've never been happy with the wide distribution of that absolutely terrifying sequence... thank God we know Richard is alive and well... but it's out there and you can see it in many places.
11-09-2008, 10:22 AM
andy21aa Offline

Threads: 6
thewitch Wrote:I've never been happy with the wide distribution of that absolutely terrifying sequence...

Neither have I, but it is a great testament to the Marshals, Medics, Airmed and the fine people at Nobles that Milky is still here to tell his story.
11-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Andy you are dead right, its a pity that side of this were not mentioned, maybe this is a failing. I have noticed though a change in Milky when he is around people like Charlie, he, like so many get excited in front of a camera and maybe that is what is coming over rather than his delight in shareing his somewhat uncomfortable departure from his machine .....
11-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I think TV people, looking for an exciting story, are very good at getting what they are looking for, and also, remember how much of what was said will have ended up on the cutting room floor.
Richard is not devious enough to foil them.
11-09-2008, 05:10 PM