Hello, and guidance required.
imago Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2
Smile  Hello, and guidance required.
Thought I'd say hello, and ask for any advice/recommendations for a TT virgin.

2009 will be my first TT, and my first visit to the IOM. It's been on my 'to do' list for a very long time, and I've finally got my backside into gear. Yahoo

I know that booking early is a must, so I've booked my ferry ticket and my camping pitch (Glenlough Farm). I'll be there from Wednesday the 3rd of June, until Sunday the 14th. So now that I know I'm going I could do with some info/advice/recommendations for my time there.

I have read some of the dos and don'ts about watching the racing, signs etc. I believe that I can watch some of the run from Quarterbridge to Glen Vine from the camp site, and I'll try to see some of the starts from the grandstand. So, any other places that can be recommended to view from? Anything I should definately try and do or avoid? Anything that I won't have thought of? Basically anything that you can tell me which will be of use will be much appreciated.
10-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Hello, and guidance required.
When choosing your viewing point consider whether you want to stay there all day, as once the roads close you cannot go on the track.

Next!
10-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Website Find Reply
stealth Offline

Threads: 0
Here's a couple of tips

A) Get your uk phone unlocked before you come and get a manx pay as you go sim card, (you can get them online) otherwise you'll be on roaming on your UK network and you'll get a very nasty surprise when you get your next mobile bill.

B) Dont believe any stories you may have heard about the Isle of Man having no speed limits, its a fairy tale often heard on telly and in pubs as a few first timers have found out the hard way, it only applies to a few sections of road.

Other than that you'll meet loads of great people once you are there and have a great time.
10-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Find Reply
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14
STEALTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blimey we are honoured Tongue
Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
11-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

He crept in..........................Cool
11-09-2008, 04:31 PM
imago Offline
Just Getting Started

Thanks for the tips, the phone one is particularly useful as I hadn't even considered it!

Are there any spots on the mountain which I should try and get to early to watch a race along that section?
11-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Bungalow was the first place I ever watched, and you can get to it, using the electric tram from Laxey. Once you are there, you're stuck all day, but, unless it's a really horrible day (and we don't get those in the Isle of Man!!!!!), it's a great place to be. Bring your own sandwiches, beer etc... there may be a catering van, but no guarantees.
Second tip... why don't you sign up as a marshl, see from one of the best places, and help make sure the event happens.
http://www.iomttma.com !
11-09-2008, 09:48 PM
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14
If you're still allowed to watch there, a good place is between Windy corner and the 33rd as you see the riders exiting the 32nd, then pass you after Windy then into the 33rd. As far as getting parked anywhere near there I'm not sure how you'd go on, perhaps Keppel gate? maybe someone else will know?
Russ
Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2008, 04:49 PM by The Bag.)
12-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Website Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

This is the Isle of Man and what the TT is all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8d2KuhD_ZA

good spot to watch>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe8WagL5peM
12-09-2008, 05:34 PM
imago Offline
Just Getting Started

Thanks again for the info folks.

thewitch Wrote:Second tip... why don't you sign up as a marshl, see from one of the best places, and help make sure the event happens.

Not this year, it's my first visit and I want to enjoy it to the full. Selfish? Maybe, but I'll do my bit by putting some hard earned into the IOM economy. Smile
13-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

That's the spirit... now we know you're coming back!
13-09-2008, 04:35 PM