Byrne joins Sterilgarda for world superbikes
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Byrne joins Sterilgarda for world superbikes
BRITISH Superbike champion Shane Byrne has signed for Sterilgarda Ducati for the 2009 World Superbike Championship.

Byrne picked up his second British Superbike crown with a second and third place finish at Silverstone last weekend and announced he was to move to the World Superbikes championship next season.

The Sheppey rider was one of three riders in the frame to replace Australian Troy Bayliss at Xerox Ducati but has announced he has chosen to ride for Sterilgarda Ducati.

The team, based in Italy, are one of the top outfits in the championship and had former Moto GP stars Max Biaggi and Ruben Xaus have been riding for them this season.

A delighted Byrne told Kent News: “I am delighted to have signed for Sterilgarda. Any team that has been running the likes of Biaggi and Xaus shows just how good an outfit they are.

“It all came about from a trip to the World superbike round at Vallelunga. Ducati were very keen to keep me on with one of their teams after my season at Airwaves Ducati and so I signed for them.”

Byrne’s only previous outing in the series came in 2003 as a wild card at Brands Hatch where he won both races. The challenge that lies ahead of him will be tough but Byrne is ready to give it 100 per cent.

He added: “There are some real top guys in this championship and it is becoming bigger and bigger. I will give it my all but I am not going to say I am going to win anything. I will have to see how it all goes.”
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
01-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Website Find Reply