US racer needs help.....MGP
crewnutz Offline

Threads: 6
US racer needs help.....MGP
To anyone that can help I would me VERY grateful.

I recently traveled to the Isle of Man to work as mechanic for Mike Crellin and John Crellin at this years TT. I wanted to experience it before committing myself to racing on the mountain course. I am hooked and Im already preparing to race there.

I am having trouble securing a license and confirming that I will be allowed to race on the mountain course in the ManxGP in 2009. I currently hold a national license here in the USA and I will be getting my FIM non-championship license in January 2009. Do I need to have any other types of licensing or have completed a certain amount of races prior to the MGP in August?

I already have bikes to ride, I have plenty of people that want to help me do this, I just need someone who can help me with the licensing. Please anyone that can help I would be MOST appreciative!!!

Brandon Cretu
30-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
RE: US racer needs help.....MGP
Hi Brandon..! I hope this helps you on our side of the pond. And also I bet someone on the IOM will chime in here as well.

In the past, an AMA (WERA..?) and even an AHRMA license and events were acceptable to get you started on what you need. Then I believe you apply for a TT License like everyone else... Someone else will have to tell you what other licensing requirements you need. But it has been done before..!! Not sure "who" you know in the states, but Dave Roper (New York) or Brid Caveney (California) both have MGP experience, and I bet both would try to help you as well. Then you need to also send in an application for your bike(s). PM me if I can be of any help...

Good Luck... see you there... another Yank at the Manx...!!

Ron - California - still waiting for my bike to get home....
(This post was last modified: 30-10-2008, 03:53 PM by Gstarron.)
30-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Find Reply
crewnutz Offline

Gstarron Wrote:Hi Brandon..! I hope this helps you on our side of the pond. And also I bet someone on the IOM will chime in here as well.

In the past, an AMA (WERA..?) and even an AHRMA license and events were acceptable to get you started on what you need. Then I believe you apply for a TT License like everyone else... Someone else will have to tell you what other licensing requirements you need. But it has been done before..!! Not sure "who" you know in the states, but Dave Roper (New York) or Brid Caveney (California) both have MGP experience, and I bet both would try to help you as well. Then you need to also send in an application for your bike(s). PM me if I can be of any help...

Good Luck... see you there... another Yank at the Manx...!!

Ron - California - still waiting for my bike to get home....

I just emailed Dave Roper today.......I have quite a few friends that raced in the TT but none that did the ManxGP so Im at a loss as far as "friends" to help me out with the ManxGP. I also have friends on the island and in Ireland that want to help me and can vouch for me. I already have a bike lined up to ride, just need to make sure I am eligible.
30-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

You can get much of the information you need from the MGP website.

http://manxgrandprix.org/index.html

If you go to this page and scroll down you can download the regulations, entry forms and TT course licence form..............all of these are still for 2008 but there will not be too much change for next year...............these forms will give you an idea of what is required of you

http://manxgrandprix.org/Competitors/Inforiders.html

You non championship FIM licence should be ok.

And to get your TT course licence for 2009 you need to have competed satisfactorily in at least 6 race meetings
during the 13 months expiring 30th June 2009.
This information is the best I currently have and the requirments for the course licence may change.

Oh and you now have a new friend in Ireland look forward to seeing you at MGP 2009

I'll send you a PM with my e-mail address
30-10-2008, 06:04 PM
crewnutz Offline

cargo Wrote:You can get much of the information you need from the MGP website.

http://manxgrandprix.org/index.html

If you go to this page and scroll down you can download the regulations, entry forms and TT course licence form..............all of these are still for 2008 but there will not be too much change for next year...............these forms will give you an idea of what is required of you

http://manxgrandprix.org/Competitors/Inforiders.html

You non championship FIM licence should be ok.

And to get your TT course licence for 2009 you need to have competed satisfactorily in at least 6 race meetings
during the 13 months expiring 30th June 2009.
This information is the best I currently have and the requirments for the course licence may change.

Oh and you now have a new friend in Ireland look forward to seeing you at MGP 2009

I'll send you a PM with my e-mail address

I sent you an email, I look forward to talking with you!

Cheers

Brandon Cretu
30-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Brandon.... seems like you now have a great start..! There are a lot of people that will gladly help you.... And the good news, is that it is almost guaranteed, that next year's weather will be better than this year..!!!

I am not sure where you are... but feel free to contact me if I can be of any help. I plan to be at Roebling Road and Daytona next year, in case you get there, look me up.

And Cargo, thanks for jumping in and helping out....!!

Cheers..!!

Ron
(This post was last modified: 31-10-2008, 05:16 AM by Gstarron.)
31-10-2008, 05:15 AM
Find Reply
crewnutz Offline

Gstarron Wrote:Brandon.... seems like you now have a great start..! There are a lot of people that will gladly help you.... And the good news, is that it is almost guaranteed, that next year's weather will be better than this year..!!!

I am not sure where you are... but feel free to contact me if I can be of any help. I plan to be at Roebling Road and Daytona next year, in case you get there, look me up.

And Cargo, thanks for jumping in and helping out....!!

Cheers..!!

Ron

ah Im from the Northeast USA...... Pennsylvania

I was at Roebling earlier this year for a National...........i might make it down there again next year, ill be sure to let you know!
31-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Find Reply
timmgp Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
Hi Brandon
To get a definative answer I would e mail the road racing licence secretary at the ACU who issue the Mountain course licence.I believe this is the correct e mail address Rowena.perks@acu.org.uk.By doing it this way you should not have a wasted trip.Don.t forget to bring your wellies and most importantly a sense of humour!! It will be tested!
All the best Tim
01-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Find Reply
crewnutz Offline

already spoke with Rowena...............

so far it seems that it is easier for a international racer to enter the TT than the ManxGP
05-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Find Reply