TTXGP
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
RE: TTXGP
You lot on about milkmen and electric floats? Our milkman has a transit, now thats progress ...... lol

By the way on the noise thing I have an idea. Have the sound of a RC30 and the twist of the throttle is how loud it goes. The further the twist the louder the RC roars .... a large sub woofer and a few tweeters on the side and away you go ..... ummmmm just a thought.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
26-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
veefour Wrote:I have been reading this discussion with interest & if i may i would like to add my own thoughts on the subject.

My first visit to the IOM TT was in 1967 when i went over with my brother on one of the Day Trips run by one of the Bike Mags (Anyone else remember them !). I remember how fast !! i thought the 50cc bikes went down Bray & also walking back to the Finish Line & seeing the great SMBH win the Senior. Needless to say i was back for the week the following year, & since then i have witnessed such things as Ago making his famous leap, i saw the battles ! of the 125 & 250's with Phil Read & the brilliant little Bill Ivy. Then there where the 70's culminating in Mikes fantastic return, & the 80's with Joey of course. My last year for a while was 1992 cheering on Hizzy of course, oh the memory of that race. For several reasons i never returned until 2005 when i went to the Manx GP, this of course sowed the seeds for the 'must be there for 2007' & i was. This brings me on i suppose to the reason for this post, & my thoughts on the present.

I really don't know the answer for the future of the event i suppose, & i know that things will not / can not stay the way they are for ever.
But i do know the memories of being down Bray Hill for early morning practice & still hearing those 'Noisy Bikes', Two Strokes & all disappearing for miles all the way through Union Mills still sends a shiver up my spine.
Will Silent Electric Machines still have the same effect !!, sorry for me personally no. For future fans, who knows. I am really glad i have had the privilege & good fortune to be there when i was.

As a footnote, i am not disagreeing with anyone's thoughts or ideas, good luck.

Dave.

Veefour,

your story could be mine!
I started going t0 the same year as you
I witnessed the same things
I am permanently "scarred" in the same way by such
memories!

We have been priviledged my friend and will never see
(or hear)
the like again

I for one go back each year to enjoy the racing, yes, but
also as a pilgriamge for memories of what took place on
that magic Island

Sad?

Perhaps

But I am happy doing it

TTXGP is a different kind of challenge that I hope works

I also feel that jozzer and people like him must be encouraged
MV
26-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
I've chatted to quite a few "names" today at the TTRA Luncheon. One or two are involved in running the TT. Nobody gave their absolute support of this race. However, the Mountain Course was considered too difficult for the original TT in 1907, so why not let history repeat itself, and, if we must have a real TT race run at Billown, why not add this event to the list, and at least experiment with it there? Maybe, just maybe, it could develop, and make it onto the Mountain circuit for......2011! There a century of progress, job sorted.
Seriously, I cannot imagine that this event is going to be anything other than a painful non spectacle around a 38 mile (that is now about 36.75 miles) long course.In 1907 the whole concept was new, and everyone marvelled at what was taking place. Now we have the modern stars travelling at 200mph on howling machines, what do we propose we do for sound? Bits of cardboard stuffed in the spokes? Don't forget that the Cycle TT faded away a few years ago, and one of the reasons was that it had no atmosphere.
Sorry organisers, I think the public would rather listen to Ago on the MV3, the Honda 6,etc, even if they are restricted to 70mph.
I've read your postings about the sounds from the past, and the memories of past battles made my spine tingle too. Hailwood, Ivy, Read, bottom of Baaregarrow 1966. Nuff said!!
27-11-2008, 01:26 AM
Find Reply
veefour Offline

Threads: 16
Jozzer wrote

Quote:EngineSport is what you are getting nostalgic over.
So lets get this straight, the only reason the TT is interesting is the sound of wasted energy?

You don't really get it do you my friend ! smilie

Dave.
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
27-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Find Reply
T-M Offline

Threads: 2
I can only say that this holds little or no interest for me. It's bad enough that we have boring sillouette classes with half full grids, this just adds to the dumbed down feel I'm beginning to get about the TT.
No disrespect to anyone intended. The racing at the front is as good as ever, but you can't even pick up the numbers on the bikes on the higher numbers to identify who they are since transponders came into play, to be able to generate interest.
Even solo practice sessions only have about 50 riders circulating because they all ride in every class and ride a bike similar to what they ride in the other classes.

Sorry, just feels like the spectacle has faded and the TTXGP isn't going to help!
27-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
Well, I'm back from the show and I didn't get to speak to the TTXGP people as I had more pressing business with other people. However, I would have to say that it didn't appear to be generating a great deal of interest while I was there. Obviously I can't say how the rest of the day went.

The bike itself used to be a GSXR SRAD.

I suspect this of more interest to politicians than race fans at it's current stage of existence. Mr Hussain said that 60 teams had signed up but with only 4 months until entries close how many machines will actually be ready I wonder? Signing up is one thing. Having a race ready machine is another as is getting someone to ride it.

Sorry but I remain unconvinced that this is the right time to be launching something like this - particularly in the current economic climate.
27-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Website Find Reply
Jozzer Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
Hehe, I "got it" once Dave, I owned and raced many petrol bikes, and even ran a motorcycle workshop for 5 years. i loved the song of a good 2 stroke near the redline, and savoured the sticky scent of Castrol gently fried in my RGV500 above all other smells.
I can honestly say that since I went I went electric I don't enjoy riding petrol bikes anymore. They are noisy and smelly, hot and breakdown constantly. They are harder to control also, need lubricating in so many orifices that sooner or later you are bound to miss one and regret it. Clutches and gearboxes a nessecity, along with all the associated problems and extra driving stress...
Electric bikes may not be quite all they need to be yet, but they are getting there.
At the moment I am the only one here who has tried both kinds of bikes....i hope that events like this will change that!
Anyone wishing to ride a Jozzbike during the TT meet week form an orderly que behind MV!
(This post was last modified: 29-11-2008, 01:50 AM by Jozzer.)
29-11-2008, 01:45 AM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
Young man, I thank you for your kind consideration
I will look forward to riding a Jozzbike on the Island, if you grant me that privilege
I will, of course, visit you at your workshop in very early spring
MY interest in this new venture has been kindled by your good self and your enthusiasm
More power to your elbow/wrist
MV
29-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Website Find Reply
veefour Offline

Threads: 16

Jozzer wrote.

Quote:Hehe, I "got it" once Dave, I owned and raced many petrol bikes, and even ran a motorcycle workshop for 5 years. i loved the song of a good 2 stroke near the redline, and savoured the sticky scent of Castrol gently fried in my RGV500 above all other smells.
I can honestly say that since I went I went electric I don't enjoy riding petrol bikes anymore. They are noisy and smelly, hot and breakdown constantly. They are harder to control also, need lubricating in so many orifices that sooner or later you are bound to miss one and regret it. Clutches and gearboxes a nessecity, along with all the associated problems and extra driving stress...
Electric bikes may not be quite all they need to be yet, but they are getting there.
At the moment I am the only one here who has tried both kinds of bikes....i hope that events like this will change that!
Anyone wishing to ride a Jozzbike during the TT meet week form an orderly que behind MV!

B*gger, i hate it when that happens.
I do seriously wish you the best of luck, but it's just not for me i'm afraid.

Dave.
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
29-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Find Reply
Chris Thackeray Offline

Threads: 28
veefour Wrote:RE: TTXGP

Jozzer wrote.

Quote:Hehe, I "got it" once Dave, I owned and raced many petrol bikes, and even ran a motorcycle workshop for 5 years. i loved the song of a good 2 stroke near the redline, and savoured the sticky scent of Castrol gently fried in my RGV500 above all other smells.

B*gger, i hate it when that happens.
I do seriously wish you the best of luck, but it's just not for me i'm afraid.

Dave.

Same here, anyways my Ninja dont smell apart from nice smells.

Its not noisy apart from a sexy sound, and its never broken down.

In fact just going to a bike meeting will introduce you to the wealth of sounds and smells lets keep em that way too Smile

I wish you luck , but i stick with my Ninja Smile

Smelly bikes I love em Smile

[Image: DSC_0236web.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0254web.jpg]

[Image: Copy-of-DSC_web3.jpg]

Plus a pretty face.

[Image: aweb-1.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 30-11-2008, 04:27 PM by Chris Thackeray.)
30-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Website Find Reply
Jozzer Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
Hmm, start off by taking those exhausts from under the seat, theres room for a battery pack up there!

That pretty girl seems not to be very happy, perhaps the noise is giving her a headache?Tongue
01-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
Jozzer Wrote:Hmm, start off by taking those exhausts from under the seat, theres room for a battery pack up there!

That pretty girl seems not to be very happy, perhaps the noise is giving her a headache?Tongue

Nah - she's fed up because the battery acid has disolved the fingers off her gloves! Tongue
01-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Website Find Reply